Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shimano 105 Brake

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Shimano 105 Brake

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-11, 07:48 PM
cisco1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano 105 Brakes

I just ordered a Cannondale CAAD 8 6 and saw that it comes with Cannondale C4 brakes. I was thinking of upgrading the brakes. Will the Shimano 105 be a good upgrade that is worth the money? Will it stop much better than the stock ones? I don't want to upgrade them unless it will be a noticeable difference. The weight savings if any isn't that important to me. Also, what are some good cheap pedals to buy? Once again I don't need anything fancy, just something to use for the mean time until I decide what route I want to go. I am new to road bikes, so sorry if this has been posted before. I tried to search the forum, but it didn't return any results because the words were too common. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by cisco1; 07-16-11 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-16-11, 07:59 PM
Mike F

Bikes: 2017 Specilized Roubaix, 2012 Scott CR1 Team, Felt Z85

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I swapped out my no name stock brakes that came with my bike with 105's because they "spongy" on descents. I would wait to see if the C-dale brakes have any performance issues. If they do you can go the cheaper route and replace the the pads first.
Old 07-16-11, 08:26 PM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
105 brakes are a lot better than Tektro.
Old 07-16-11, 09:33 PM
matroskin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cisco1
I just ordered a Cannondale CAAD 8 6 and saw that it comes with Cannondale C4 brakes. I was thinking of upgrading the brakes. Will the Shimano 105 be a good upgrade that is worth the money? Will it stop much better than the stock ones? I don't want to upgrade them unless it will be a noticeable difference. The weight savings if any isn't that important to me. Also, what are some good cheap pedals to buy? Once again I don't need anything fancy, just something to use for the mean time until I decide what route I want to go. I am new to road bikes, so sorry if this has been posted before. I tried to search the forum, but it didn't return any results because the words were too common. Thanks for the help.
You are spending money on something that you already have and want to replace, and try to save on something that you don't have. That's reasonable ... I guess. The best brake upgrade you can get is to learn how to break properly. Sorry money cannot buy it.
Old 07-16-11, 10:03 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Do not try to upgrade your brake calipers yet. If you are looking for brake improvement try changing out the brake pads with Kool Stop or Swiss Stop pads.
What type of pedals are you looking to get? Road specific, mountain, combination of platform and clipless?

Originally Posted by matroskin
You are spending money on something that you already have and want to replace, and try to save on something that you don't have. That's reasonable ... I guess. The best brake upgrade you can get is to learn how to break properly. Sorry money cannot buy it.

If you are going to come off as a dooshy noob, trying to correct another with a veiled attempt at an insult, at least learn how to spell "brake" properly. Your style however, is atypical of a 41 member...welcome

Last edited by tagaproject6; 07-16-11 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-16-11, 11:02 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 438 Posts
If your C-dale brakes are Tektros, I found Tektros (the ones which came on my Roubaix Elite) to be difficult to modulate well, especially on descents. They - Tektros - seem to work fine enough for inexpensive brakes. I chose not to bother with new pads, put on 105 calipers - big improvement. I think it's a worthwhile upgrade for riders who are finicky about braking performance.
Old 07-17-11, 01:41 AM
rolliepollie
Flying Pig

Bikes: 06 Specialized Allez Sport, '10 Trek Fuel EX 7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know this is probably supposed to sound smart and witty but I just can't feel it...

Try new pads like koolstop or Swiss as suggested. Most likely they'll last longer and perform better than the stock pads. Even better if the stocks are non-cartridge pads.

Note that new brakes/pads do take some time to "wear-into" the rim, a bit like disc brakes. So you may not notice much improvement from the start.
Old 07-17-11, 06:26 AM
CNY James

Bikes: 2010 Felt F5, 2010 Dawes SST-AL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are spending money on something that you already have and want to replace, and try to save on something that you don't have.
huh? :confused:
Old 07-17-11, 06:40 AM
matroskin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CNY James
huh? :confused:
No need to be confused CNY James you are a senior member. It's not good to be a confused senior. The guy is getting a bike without pedals, but tries to save money on them. At the same time he wants to buy overpriced higher line brakes (did I spell correctly or third time will be a charm?). I think OP should be confused, not you
Old 07-17-11, 06:47 AM
matroskin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Do not try to upgrade your brake calipers yet. If you are looking for brake improvement try changing out the brake pads with Kool Stop or Swiss Stop pads.
What brake improvement are you talking about? The guy just _ordered_ a bike. Not only he has never ridden it, he actually hasn't seen it yet.

If you are going to come off as a dooshy noob, trying to correct another with a veiled attempt at an insult, at least learn how to spell "brake" properly. Your style however, is atypical of a 41 member...welcome
You called it first! I don't know who "a 41 member is" but I don't think he will be my role model.
Old 07-17-11, 06:50 AM
matroskin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rolliepollie
I know this is probably supposed to sound smart and witty but I just can't feel it...
Oh yes! You can feel it. You just cannot see it because it is not there, but you can still feel it.
Old 07-17-11, 07:45 AM
ThinLine

Bikes: Pedal Force RS2, Canyon, Basso, Tommaso, Rock Racing, Schwinn, SWOBO, Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
105 brakes are the best mid-range brakes out there. Dura Ace brakes are the best in the world and Tektro's came out the rear end of a cattle.
Old 07-17-11, 07:59 AM
Chris_F
World's slowest cyclist.

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD5 and Cannondale Rush

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My front C'dale brake had too much toe in which was causing poor braking. I did a bunch of research on the Shimano brakes and basically their bottom of the line Sora is part for part identicaly to the Tigra (except for color/screen print name). At the 105 level you get a lighter brake with ball bearings to make it feel a little smoother. This won't help you stop all that much better. I recommend getting a Sora if you're not worried about weight and aren't super picky about how the handle feels.
Old 07-17-11, 09:13 AM
cisco1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No need to be confused CNY James you are a senior member. It's not good to be a confused senior. The guy is getting a bike without pedals, but tries to save money on them. At the same time he wants to buy overpriced higher line brakes (did I spell correctly or third time will be a charm?). I think OP should be confused, not you
I don't know what your problem is. There is no point in buying expensive pedals right now when I don't know what I want. Why would I go out and buy something expensive that I may not need later. I'm going to buy something that is cheaper because I will upgrade it later on when I know what I want. Seems reasonable to me.

What brake improvement are you talking about? The guy just _ordered_ a bike. Not only he has never ridden it, he actually hasn't seen it yet.
I actually have rode the bike before. I tried to buy an exact one at my local bike store, but they sold it before I made the decision. They didn't have anything in my size. If you are not going to be helpful, then don't post in this thread. Everyone else has been very helpful so I appreciate that. BTW, thanks for the warm welcome.

Last edited by cisco1; 07-17-11 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-17-11, 09:23 AM
matroskin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know what your problem is.
I bought a roadbike, but it came without a saddle. With a saddle stem but without a saddle. I was so anxious to ride my bike that I rode it for hours like that. Now my butt hurts and I need to trash your thread.

BTW, thanks for the warm welcome.
Welcome to the forum. Beware not everybody will be nice to you.

But seriously, do you really expect your brand new brakes to fail on you???
Old 07-17-11, 09:32 AM
cisco1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Beware not everybody will be nice to you.

But seriously, do you really expect your brand new brakes to fail on you???
No I don't expect them to fail. But whenever I get something new, I always want to modify it. I'm like Tim the Toolman from Home Improvement. More power!
Old 07-17-11, 10:14 AM
vespoli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No I don't expect them to fail. But whenever I get something new, I always want to modify it. I'm like Tim the Toolman from Home Improvement. More power!
Upgrading is most of the fun. That said, you would have saved some time and likely money by buying a better-specced bike to start with. What was wrong with the CAAD8 w/ 105?
Old 07-17-11, 10:21 AM
cisco1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vespoli
Upgrading is most of the fun. That said, you would have saved some time and likely money by buying a better-specced bike to start with. What was wrong with the CAAD8 w/ 105?
I would have loved a CAAD8 with the 105, but it was around $455 more. The bike I bought was on sale. I figured I would be happier with the Tiagra components and I could always upgrade later if needed.
Old 07-17-11, 10:49 AM
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I see you can think for yourself and are just looking for a little guidance. As you have already found, not all advice is good advice. For me, I think dollar for dollar 105 is hard to beat. Good luck with your new bike and ride safely.
Old 07-17-11, 10:58 AM
matroskin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vespoli
Darn! If you buy 105s upfront how far are you going to upgrade it? I think 105s are the end of the upgrade road. Of course you can spend more money on it but with every dollar spend you get diminishing marginal utility. So why would you start with 105s and have such a short upgrade life. Isn't upgrading the "most of the fun"?
Old 07-17-11, 10:59 AM
matroskin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil85207
I think dollar for dollar 105 is hard to beat.
I think paying off credit cards with 25% APR is hard to beat dollar for dollar, everything else is way behind.
Old 07-17-11, 11:03 AM
Vicelord
Banned

Bikes: BMC RoadRacer SL01, Kona Kula FrankensteinDeluxe, Schwinn Powerglide.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
105 brakes are great. I think you'd be very happy with them. That said, see if the stock brakes perform for you first.
Old 07-17-11, 02:05 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
You may also want to consider SRAM Rival brakes. I got mine for less than 105's and in test rides thought both were very comparable.
Old 07-17-11, 02:15 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
brakes are overated. I have tektros on a couple of bikes and ultegra brakes on a couple of bikes. the pads make all the difference. you'll be fine with the tektros, just make sure they are set up right and the pads arre good.
Old 07-17-11, 05:09 PM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
When I switched from the stock Tektro to 105 on my old bike it was a huge disappointment. Good for the bling factor, but I doubt you will notice any practical difference. The mechanics are pretty much the same as is the weight. Like others have said, pads will probably make the biggest difference. Get the 105's if you want the 105 logo...but don't expect a performance difference. Based on this I decided to not "upgrade" the Tektro brakes on my Defy 1.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.