Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Tell Me What you Can About Wagner and I Don't Mean Richard

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Tell Me What you Can About Wagner and I Don't Mean Richard

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-13, 07:13 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Do you happen to have a full side profile shot?

Couple of other guys to ask are John at Velostuf and Scott at sdbicyclegarage.com.

Btw What size is this frameset?
Old 04-23-13, 07:19 PM
Michael Angelo 

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Beautiful Frame set.
Old 04-23-13, 08:33 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by 23skidoo
He was gracious, amusing and informative on the phone and replied by email after looking at the photos, disavowing any personal knowledge of the frame or it's provenance, suggesting that it may have been painted by his ex-wife in a shop he set up for her in Massachusetts as part of their personal and professional parting. It looks like this one will remain a mystery.

Sorry for the mix up...

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 04-23-13, 08:58 PM
23skidoo
Gone World Hepster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy

Sorry for the mix up...
Heh-heh. These this do have a way of happening The Golden Boy. I was heartbroken for months when Natalie Wood took the deep six off Catalina Island.

Do you happen to have a full side profile shot?
Grady, I don't. FedEx is picking up the box tomorrow so it might not get here till early next week if they lash things up like they usually do. I'll contact CK and your other two fellas as well. It's a 57cm.
Old 04-23-13, 09:06 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Heh-heh. These this do have a way of happening The Golden Boy. I was heartbroken for months when Natalie Wood took the deep six off Catalina Island.
I was like 12-13 and I was as well.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 04-23-13, 10:05 PM
gomango

Grady, I don't. FedEx is picking up the box tomorrow so it might not get here till early next week if they lash things up like they usually do. I'll contact CK and your other two fellas as well. It's a 57cm.
Thanks anyway!

Doesn't hurt to ask those guys.

Although you may get to play "stump the band" with them as well.
Old 04-23-13, 11:00 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,126 Times in 555 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
It was nice that you were able to have a Hart To Hart talk with him.

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Good lord - that's amazing. This is when it helps to have a more distinctive name...his bike is clearly pre-google. I often wonder if Look and Time would have the same names in the Google era.
No, I'm sure they wouldn't. I can tell you from personal experience, it's maddening. Maddening! (Hey Fender1, L@@K!!!)

^Worth repeating. Really cool frame. I'm of no help identifying it, but between the Respray by Betsy decal and the distinctive lugs, I'd be surprised if it remains a mystery. Btw, what are your plans for it?

'72 Cilo Pacer • '72 Peugeot PX10 • '73 Speedwell Ti • '74 Nishiki Competition • '74 Peugeot UE-8 • '86 Look Equipe 753 • '86 Look KG86 • '89 Parkpre Team Road • '90 Parkpre Team MTB • '90 Merlin Ti

Avatar photo courtesy of jeffveloart.com, contact: contact: jeffnil8 (at) gmail.com.
Old 04-23-13, 11:02 PM
23skidoo
Gone World Hepster

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Worth repeating. Really cool frame. I'm of no help identifying it, but between the Respray by Betsy decal and the distinctive lugs, I'd be surprised if it remains a mystery. Btw, what are your plans for it?

Randy, I really love mysteries and blundering around for answers. I'm pretty sure someone on the CR list could ID it and if anyone is a regular there I'd be delighted to share pix and any info I have. Sometimes when you're searching for information on an artifact like this you discover anew the human side, the hidden freight of the object itself. From my conversation with Peter Weigle I learned that he's not the builder and has never seen it before but his ex-wife Betsy was the painter; also that he had equipped a shop in Massachusetts and agreed to support her business operations for the first year as part of their divorce settlement but some other interest had drawn her attention away at some point in that year; that the frame was probably painted during the months Spray By Betsy was operating in Massachusetts. Another reliable source recalled that she went to work painting for Cannondale and also had another non-bike memory of her he couldn't pin down after 25 plus years. She's probably someone's grandma today, still teaching AP physics to middle-schoolers somewhere in Oregon or building dragsters in west Texas.

As for plans, I'll probably just unpack the box and ponder that while I conduct a full inspection and decide on a treatment plan for the minor rusty bits and whatever further inspection might reveal but riding is definitely involved. I think I'll count my blessings too, just for good measure.

Last edited by 23skidoo; 04-23-13 at 11:44 PM.
Old 04-24-13, 05:30 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Great. Now I'll have 'Under the Double Eagle' stuck in my head all day.
Old 04-24-13, 05:52 AM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
What size is the frame ? The lugwork and paint are really beautiful!
Old 04-24-13, 07:09 AM
23skidoo
Gone World Hepster

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Gravity Aided
What size is the frame ? The lugwork and paint are really beautiful!
I'm full of anticipation to actually get my hands on it. The seller says it's a 57cm--just my size.
Old 04-24-13, 12:55 PM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Thought any more about gruppo?
Old 04-24-13, 01:58 PM
23skidoo
Gone World Hepster

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I really haven't thought about grouppo much at all Gravity Aided. Suggestions are always welcome. I'm thinking now about dealing with the cosmetic issues like the rust and missing paint.
Old 04-27-13, 09:05 AM
23skidoo
Gone World Hepster

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
The box arrived yesterday and I was able to unpack for a quick look and a few shots this morning. It's 57x56 CTC with three sets of bottle bosses.

Old 04-27-13, 09:23 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
BEAUTFUL!

For gruppo, I'm thinking campy chorus...or maybe c-record with monoplanars and traditional NR hubs. I'm thinking elite ciussi cages.

This bike is screaming for a custom head badge.
Old 04-27-13, 09:47 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
BEAUTFUL!

For gruppo, I'm thinking campy chorus...or maybe c-record with monoplanars and traditional NR hubs. I'm thinking elite ciussi cages.

yes, yes and yes!
Old 04-27-13, 10:00 AM
23skidoo
Gone World Hepster

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I do wish I was talented and capable enough to repair and restore the damages to the paint, as it's a stunning period piece, but for now I'm leaving my hands off. At first pass, the one thing that stands out in contrast to the rest of the frame work is the treatment of the seatstay caps at the seat lug; to me that squared-off end is not pleasing to the eye and there are a couple of small voids in the brazing on the inner joins, almost as though the builder had run out of the creative steam to finish off the build properly. A minor quibble from an amateur critic. I did send photos to a veteran builder who is doing some work for me and he was really concerned about the thinness of the brazing at the seat clamp ears; flat out said he wouldn't ride it and wouldn't be surprised to see it was cracked. It's not cracked, unless it's concealed under the paint.
Old 04-27-13, 10:04 AM
gomango

BEAUTFUL!

Campy Chorus is usually an excellent choice for many road race applications.

In this case it would be perfect.

Although I must admit that I would be inclined to go modern Chorus, such as 10 speed alloy.

Man, I love this frameset!
Old 04-27-13, 10:18 AM
gomango

I do wish I was talented and capable enough to repair and restore the damages to the paint, as it's a stunning period piece, but for now I'm leaving my hands off. At first pass, the one thing that stands out in contrast to the rest of the frame work is the treatment of the seatstay caps at the seat lug; to me that squared-off end is not pleasing to the eye and there are a couple of small voids in the brazing on the inner joins, almost as though the builder had run out of the creative steam to finish off the build properly. A minor quibble from an amateur critic. I did send photos to a veteran builder who is doing some work for me and he was really concerned about the thinness of the brazing at the seat clamp ears; flat out said he wouldn't ride it and wouldn't be surprised to see it was cracked. It's not cracked, unless it's concealed under the paint.
As much as I love the paint in present condition, I don't see any of this info as a knockout punch.

I know several builders in town that could take care of these brazing issues.

If a Chris Kvale told me not to ride it, I would listen.

Again, I would have these issues addressed and start considering a repaint.

Too pretty to hang on a hook. imho
Old 04-27-13, 11:03 AM
23skidoo
Gone World Hepster

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
As much as I love the paint in present condition, I don't see any of this info as a knockout punch.

I know several builders in town that could take care of these brazing issues.

If a Chris Kvale told me not to ride it, I would listen.

Again, I would have these issues addressed and start considering a repaint.

Too pretty to hang on a hook. imho
It's sometimes too easy to quibble over details. Somebody rode this without breaking the seat lug ears. I'm normally unsentimental about patina but this one lights up all my preservationist instincts, which is why I'm not going do anything but a little minor rust treatment on the dropouts with an eye on finding a professional painter who is willing to spot restore at some point down the line. Grady, the builder who wouldn't ride it is a peer to CK without question, but I'm going to build it up and ride it after I get done cleaning it up.
Old 04-27-13, 11:10 AM
gomango

It's sometimes too easy to quibble over details. Somebody rode this without breaking the seat lug ears. I'm normally unsentimental about patina but this one lights up all my preservationist instincts, which is why I'm not going do anything but a little minor rust treatment on the dropouts with an eye on finding a professional painter who is willing to spot restore at some point down the line. Grady, the builder who wouldn't ride it is a peer to CK without question, but I'm going to build it up and ride it after I get done cleaning it up.

I suppose the worst that will happen is for real cracks to appear.

So, maybe these worries are to be saved for a later date.
Old 04-27-13, 12:09 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 788 Posts
Me, I'm not a framebuilder, but...
given how many perfectly good frames have their seat stays attached with a very small contact patch and dabs of bronze or silver, and still haven't broken, and
given that you may be talking about the binder "tube", a few of which I have seen shear off occasionally (mainly on Viscounts which may have been overtightened on wrong sized seat posts)...
my gut says: don't be overly concerned about this perceived "weakness": if the binder tube shears off you can still ride the bike with an external collar, and then you'll really be motivated to spring for a repaint.
Old 04-27-13, 07:58 PM
Gravity Aided

Originally Posted by Italuminium
yes, yes and yes!
I'd feel really good about Campy Chorus as well