Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

"A lot of what you pay for with expensive touring bikes is that it looks prettier..."

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

"A lot of what you pay for with expensive touring bikes is that it looks prettier..."

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-16, 10:53 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
I'ld love to hear from elcruxio about the Baltic tour. A loop around the Baltic sea is in the back of my head.
I'm not holding my breath for a Di2 touring set to happen. Very much of the mountain bicycle stuff won't do drop bar levers for example. Carbon forks for front racks? The bicycle companies don't seem interested in higher quality touring stuff, outside of CC and light touring, like lower gears than 34-32. Co-Motion has a couple of options in semi-custom. There are a few custom carbon shops out there, but can/will they do a touring bicycle? But even if it existed I stretched way past my budget.
That also means the Porshe won't happen.
If you ever do come to the baltics you'll need a wheelset much sturdier than you have now, at least if you plan on straying from the Via Baltica at all.

I'd say it's a miracle that my bike has survived intact, but it's an lht so it's really no miracle as it was designed for this kinda stuff
Old 06-02-16, 08:03 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I will agree again that Trek should have used more spokes to reassure the tourists. But on the other side Trek says these wheels should withstand the Great Divide trail.
The 920 came with 29x2.0 tires, without the fenders maybe a bit wider, maybe. Do you think the wider tires might make enough difference?
We shall see!
Happy trails!!

I never said more expensive is always better, just usually lighter stronger more durable. I believe there a few folks on carbon and Ti bikepacking stuff that are running gears that Di2 could handle. But agree that is a tiny % of bicycle tourists.

I'm not here trying to say I am touring god. I have a different opinion about touring bicycles than that of most of the LHT crowd. Maybe we can calm down and discuss things respectfully, myself included.

Last edited by Squeezebox; 06-02-16 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-02-16, 08:36 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Another example: my Masi has something like 100,000 miles on it before it got retired, and it never broke. This is despite being a 20lb lightly constructed bike. Granted it did not get used for touring but it saw plenty of rough and gravel roads.
Did you retire your Masi after 100,000 miles because you were concerned about the frame's integrity?
Old 06-02-16, 10:10 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Did you retire your Masi after 100,000 miles because you were concerned about the frame's integrity?
Essentially. The steer tube has a small bulge where it is preloaded by the stem wedge. And no, it was not over tightened. If anything torque was under spec. This seems to happen even with normal pre load given enough mileage. There is a tiny bit or rust spidering on the top tube, though it is mostly cosmetic. The campy crank has a crack at the classic spot next to the spider.

Given the mileage, the original paint is actually pretty good. I may get the steer tube replaced and do a full restoration at some point, but I do appreciate the original finish. I guess I retired it because of a combination of many small things, and frankly, I mostly keep it for sentimental reasons.
Old 06-02-16, 11:47 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Essentially. The steer tube has a small bulge where it is preloaded by the stem wedge. And no, it was not over tightened. If anything torque was under spec. This seems to happen even with normal pre load given enough mileage. There is a tiny bit or rust spidering on the top tube, though it is mostly cosmetic. The campy crank has a crack at the classic spot next to the spider.

Given the mileage, the original paint is actually pretty good. I may get the steer tube replaced and do a full restoration at some point, but I do appreciate the original finish. I guess I retired it because of a combination of many small things, and frankly, I mostly keep it for sentimental reasons.
Thanks for that info.

I don't know what is considered a normal distance that a quality frame like your Masi should be capable of racking up before such issues occur, so is that a fairly normal problem after 100,000 miles or were you just unlucky with that particular frame?
Old 06-02-16, 12:44 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Thanks for that info.

I don't know what is considered a normal distance that a quality frame like your Masi should be capable of racking up before such issues occur, so is that a fairly normal problem after 100,000 miles or were you just unlucky with that particular frame?
I'm thinking I'm lucky I got that much out of it. It may not surprise you that I agree with the late Jobst Brandt about the threadless stem being a better design.

I'd say that most racing frames do not see nearly that much cumulative mileage in their lifetimes. IIRC it was typical for a cat 1 or 2 or pro racer not use the same bike more than a couple years, which might be 40-50k miles at that level. Most amateurs are only going to ride a tiny fraction of that. So 100k miles is probably relatively exceptional.

While the Masi is fully repairable, the main thing is that now that I'm an old tourist instead of a teen racer, I prefer a slightly larger frame. Also, it just doesn't look right with clipless pedals on it, and I'm not going back to slotted cleats!
Old 06-02-16, 12:47 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

I'm thinking I'm lucky I got that much out of it. It may not surprise you that I agree with the late Jobst Brandt about the threadless stem being a better design.

I'd say that most racing frames do not see nearly that much cumulative mileage in their lifetimes. IIRC it was typical for a cat 1 or 2 or pro racer not use the same bike more than a couple years, which might be 40-50k miles at that level. Most amateurs are only going to ride a tiny fraction of that. So 100k miles is probably relatively exceptional.

While the Masi is fully repairable, the main thing is that now that I'm an old tourist instead of a teen racer, I prefer a slightly larger frame. Also, it just doesn't look right with clipless pedals on it, and I'm not going back to slotted cleats!
The good thing is that you got your money's worth and now can get a new bike with a totally clear conscious.
Old 06-02-16, 01:32 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
While I only made it to Cat 3 we had to pay for our own bikes, none were ever given to us, so replacing the bike every 2 or 3 years was out of the question. I only raced on my Trek 660 for 4 years and put about 60,000 miles on it during those years, but after words I accumulated over 160,000 total (including the racing years), and never had any problems with the components (Suntour Superbe stuff) or the frame, in fact the bike today is still rideable even though I don't ride it. I don't have any bulge on the headtube due to the quill stems wedge, and I know I'm not unusual because I've run into others over the years that had 100,000 and more on their older steel bikes and never had any frame issues.

So I'm not sure I agree with you saying that it's common for steel bikes to have that when they get over 100,000 miles. If the bike gets whacked head on by a curb or some such thing, or the wedge is over tightened, or the wrong size stem then maybe, but not from just using it; the most common problem is folks over tightening the stem, at least someone did at one time, could have been the owner, could have been a LBS mechanic. But to use that as an example of how much better threadless designs are is wrong because a private person or LBS mechanic could do the same thing and over tighten the carbon steerer and crush it!
Old 06-02-16, 01:37 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1978 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
I don't have any bulge on the headtube due to the quill stems wedge
Not head tube, steering tube. It's the tube coming off the top of the fork that rests inside the head tube, connected to it with the headset.

If the wedge was actually bulging against the headtube, it would be quite surprising if the steering was still rotatable!
Old 06-02-16, 01:54 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Originally Posted by HTupolev
Not head tube, steering tube. It's the tube coming off the top of the fork that rests inside the head tube, connected to it with the headset.

If the wedge was actually bulging against the headtube, it would be quite surprising if the steering was still rotatable!
Sorry I was typing and thinking in haste, I meant steering tube, which is why i mentioned the carbon crushing thing. Sorry. Anyway replace my head tube with steerer tube in my rant and all the info is the same, it just doesn't happen do to use.
Old 06-02-16, 05:35 PM
Salamandrine 

So I'm not sure I agree with you saying that it's common for steel bikes to have that when they get over 100,000 miles. If the bike gets whacked head on by a curb or some such thing, or the wedge is over tightened, or the wrong size stem then maybe, but not from just using it; the most common problem is folks over tightening the stem, at least someone did at one time, could have been the owner, could have been a LBS mechanic.
I didn't say it was common, if I implied it, it wasn't intentional. I said: "This seems to happen even with normal pre load given enough mileage." In retrospect I should have said sometimes.

I know everyone says it can't happen unless the stem is overtightened, or it gets whacked, as you say, but I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. Who knows, maybe the steer tube got heated too long and lost its temper in the build process or something, or maybe I was just unlucky. Oddly at around 60-70k it was fine.

Last edited by Salamandrine; 06-02-16 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-02-16, 10:20 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by GerryinHouston
Most touring bikes come with barcons (ugh!...) because they can be serviced by a yak doctor in Western Outer Mongolia and you want Di2?...

When I found out that the Novara Randonee (like mine) was outfitted with brifters in the 2000's and now it comes with barcons, I almost flipped!
I was a bit surprised about that change too, I guess it helps keep the price down a bit. I now use barcons but I think brifters have a slight safety edge. 2004 Rando had a sharp-looking metallic dark blue/silver paint job & now has mousy olive.
Old 06-03-16, 09:51 AM
GerryinHouston

Bikes: Novarra Randonee 2016, Trek Verve 2 2015

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
I was a bit surprised about that change too, I guess it helps keep the price down a bit. I now use barcons but I think brifters have a slight safety edge. 2004 Rando had a sharp-looking metallic dark blue/silver paint job & now has mousy olive.
Don't get me started on the paint!... Strangely enough, there are people in my biking group that like it!...

It seems that Novara has moved away from the metallic paint in their touring bikes (Randonee, Mazama, Safari).

The main reason I got the bike was for peace of mind for my weight and the possibility to go touring once my SO retires (she says maybe next year...). The only 'touring' bike I had access to which had brifters and a divine paint job was the Bianchi Volpe, but I cheapened out.
Old 06-05-16, 08:05 PM
meyers66

Bikes: 2007 Bianchi Volpe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just what can be accomplished on a budget

Originally Posted by jefnvk
On a personal note, I appreciate people on here who support the notion that you don't need to drop extravagant amounts of money to do anything in the bike world, and give concrete examples of just what can be accomplished on a budget. Truth be told, had I not found the C&V forum here and gotten into a road bike that more than suited my purpose on the cheap, I'd likely have given up on getting into biking two years ago when every LBS and a few biking friends had me convinced that anything under $1500 was a POS that would fall apart in a few months that I'd regret buying.

I know from personal experience how off-putting such comments can be to someone new who doesn't know any better who comes here for advice, or who even just lurks and reads the thread.
Hi,
I agree with your comments and read the forum for the same reasons. If you start with the user and look at your needs you can find a good touring bike for less that $2,000US using some of the advice on this forum. Everyone knows when you buy a car from a showroom not to trust the salesmen so why isn't the same logic used for buying a bike? It is their job to sell you. The common mistake I see is new buyers paying more for a bike than they need out of bike vanity. If you are new to cycling I suggest getting a used commuter bike that fits, ride it for a while to learn the pros and cons and talk with people. Then read a book on the biking subjects that interest you like Adventure Cycle Touring by Lord. That book introduced me to bikes I had never seen or heard of like the Volpe. Highly recommend it. In 07 I bought mine for less than $800 and haven't looked back.

Also a while back I read that most bikes are made in Taiwan and China. The high to medium in Taiwan and the medium to low in China. Why? Money. Or the myth or fake claim that a bike with 51% of its parts made in the US and 49% made in China is a US made bike. Come on. Common sense would tell you business men make business decisions for money. And users buy bikes often based on emotion. The book Psychology of Persuasion comes to mind. So take a step back analyze what you need and trust your gut. If it feels like hype, walk.
Old 06-05-16, 09:23 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by meyers66
Hi,
The common mistake I see is new buyers paying more for a bike than they need out of bike vanity. If you are new to cycling I suggest getting a used commuter bike that fits, ride it for a while to learn the pros and cons and talk with people.
Heh, yesterday I saw a Japanese anime show "Yawamushi Pedal" about a high-school kid who gets into bike racing but has to start out with his "mom bike" commuter. Earlier his parents put on a low gear thinking it would slow him down & keep him from straying too far; instead he just got good at high-cadence. The show, unlike most anime, is realistic including a lot of technical narration about bike racing--they even mentioned (without naming) Lance & his 130 rpm climbing! BTW some of the new features are introduced on commuting bikes: disc brakes were fairly common on nice commuters before getting popular for touring/road; some commuters have IGH/belt which can be convenient for touring.

Also a while back I read that most bikes are made in Taiwan and China. The high to medium in Taiwan and the medium to low in China. Why? Money... feels like hype, walk.
Taiwan has a big bike industry, kinda surprising the whole thing hasn't moved completely to China since AFAIK wages much higher in Taiwan. Anyway Taiwan bike products seem to be very good in general.
Old 06-05-16, 09:54 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Taiwan has a big bike industry, kinda surprising the whole thing hasn't moved completely to China since AFAIK wages much higher in Taiwan. Anyway Taiwan bike products seem to be very good in general.
republic of china = good stuff
people's republic of china = second-rate often counterfeit carp

taiwan (our china) is highly developed with modern technology
and western standards of quality control.

the mainland (their china) is still pretty much living in the past.
state-run enterprises still control a huge percentage of the
economy. business practices can be summed up in one famous
saying.......

"if you're not cheating your customers, you're cheating yourself!"
Old 06-06-16, 06:44 AM
rekmeyata

The use of barcons today in the touring world is about simplicity, low cost, and ease to repair, if a person damages a briftor or something wears out it can't be fixed on the side of the road and must be replaced which could cost upwards of $350 depending on model, whereas with barcons if it can't be fixed the replacement cost for the best barcon is $120.

I know everyone will argue about what I said so read this for more information: In Defense of Bar-End Shifters
Old 06-06-16, 08:26 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
The use of barcons today in the touring world is about simplicity, low cost, and ease to repair, if a person damages a briftor or something wears out it can't be fixed on the side of the road and must be replaced which could cost upwards of $350 depending on model, whereas with barcons if it can't be fixed the replacement cost for the best barcon is $120.

I know everyone will argue about what I said so read this for more information: In Defense of Bar-End Shifters

Short of physically breaking the lever or the attachment screw, I fail to see how you would ever break a bar-end shifter. All it is is a lever with a spot for the cable milled out. Forget about the witch doctor in Inner Yakistan fixing it, they could probably just visit the local machinist and have a new one built in an hour. Or, you know, a tube of JB Weld and you're done.
Old 06-06-16, 08:28 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I wish the best were only $120. I just looked through the lbs cataloges and those darn things were ranging from 120 - over 400... crazy!
The easiest field repair solution is to have/use a simple friction thumb shifter for the rear derailer. The cable is long enough for front or back and it can be thrown on in minutes until a proper replacement can be found down the road. The long cable can also be used as an emergency brake cable in a pinch.
Old 06-06-16, 09:20 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll stick with my brifters, I like them a lot. I don't like bar ends, a lot. Seems to me the mechanism inside the brifter and bar end would be fairly similar. I've never taken apart either. I don't think either breaks very often. I don't think durability of brifters vs bar ends or frame materials used makes much difference. They just don't break very often. And if they do they most often warn you first.
Old 06-06-16, 09:44 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I wish the best were only $120. I just looked through the lbs cataloges and those darn things were ranging from 120 - over 400... crazy!
The easiest field repair solution is to have/use a simple friction thumb shifter for the rear derailer. The cable is long enough for front or back and it can be thrown on in minutes until a proper replacement can be found down the road. The long cable can also be used as an emergency brake cable in a pinch.

Wiggle and Chain Reaction sell Dura Ace bar ends in 10 and 11 speed for $75-85 USD.

I do not consider Campy TT carbon 11sp bar ends to be part of this discussion as they are clearly not for touring.
Old 06-06-16, 09:44 AM
rekmeyata

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Barends? where did you say you looked, oh that's right LBS catalogs. Try this: Shimano SL-BS77 9-SPEED Bar End Shifters > Components > Drivetrain > Road Shifters | Jenson USA
Or this: wiggle.com | Dia-Compe Bar End Gear Shifter Set | Gear Levers And Shifters Road
Or this: Dia-Compe ENE Bar-End Shifters Even has that old school look.
Or this if you want supposedly the best: https://jet.com/product/detail/bc404...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

There a lot of these for less then you found.
Old 06-06-16, 10:06 AM
rekmeyata

I'll stick with my brifters, I like them a lot. I don't like bar ends, a lot. Seems to me the mechanism inside the brifter and bar end would be fairly similar. I've never taken apart either. I don't think either breaks very often. I don't think durability of brifters vs bar ends or frame materials used makes much difference. They just don't break very often. And if they do they most often warn you first.
Not even close to the same; see this exploded view of a barend and note it's simplicity: https://www.os2.dhs.org/~john/simplex-barend.jpg

All I could find for Dura Ace briftor was a exploded view of just replaceable parts, there are a lot more parts that aren't replaceable that are not shown on this: https://vid.artscyclery.com/pdf/Shima...r%20Manual.pdf
This is for the Campy Ergo system: Campagnolo Ergo Lever Parts (1998-2008) - Branford Bike - Seattle/Bellevue - Campagnolo Pro Shop

Now tell us again how much alike the bar end is to a briftor?
Old 06-06-16, 10:22 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Seems to me the mechanism inside the brifter and bar end would be fairly similar. I've never taken apart either. I don't think either breaks very often. I don't think durability of brifters vs bar ends or frame materials used makes much difference. They just don't break very often. And if they do they most often warn you first.
At the end of the day, all a barend is is a cam, on a very basic level the exact same thing as your QR lever. The brifters are full of ratcheting mechanics to do their magic.

Will either likely break due to normal wear without warning? Probably not. Do I view one as far more likely to become unusable in the event of a wreck or rough luggage handlers? Yep.
Old 06-06-16, 11:03 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
At the end of the day, all a barend is is a cam, on a very basic level the exact same thing as your QR lever...
No doubt there are many that I haven't worked with, but I've never seen one that involved a cam.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.