Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike shorts suggestions

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike shorts suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-16, 02:27 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
If you ride a padded saddle, padded shorts may be superfluous. I mostly wear Champion wicking fabric boxer/briefs. They're just regular underwear thickness, but better fabric than cotton, with a snug fit like cycling tights and a pooched out pouch for the boys.

And I prefer baggy shorts over tight shorts, unless I know it's going to be very windy. Baggies do catch a bit more breeze but overall they're fine for my casual pace. And I feel more appropriately dressed if I want to pop into a restaurant or grocery store on the way home.

I'm saving the padded shorts for when I find a firmer saddle that suits me for longer rides -- longer than my usual 20-30 mile rides. The padded saddles are fine for those at my usual 12-15 mph loafing pace. While my padded saddles are comfy I can tell there's some loss of efficiency on longer rides, with a bit more bouncing that could go into pedaling strokes.
Old 10-06-16, 06:12 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
The padding on the shorts serves a different purpose than the padded saddle. I have both and still need the padding on the shorts. I think its necessary because everyone's anatomy is different and riding style with occasional shifting of position.

The padding: the better shorts will have what I call "variable padding". That is, the density of the padding is different on the different areas of the shorts.

2XU is the brand: Compression Cycle Short

Take a look at the "Fusion Pro 2 Chamois"
Old 10-06-16, 06:57 AM
hagak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jean3n16
check your local craigslist and Goodwill! I found 3 pair of Pearl Izumi for $25!
Really used bike shorts? That is like buying used underwear! Actually worse considering it is guaranteed that the previous wearer did a good bit of sweating in them.

This has to be a joke right?
Old 10-06-16, 07:11 AM
MuddyBikeRider

Bikes: Haibike FS RS

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride with slightly padded shorts and then one of those extra set of the super padded shorts that go underneath if it is going to be a really long ride with a lot of bumps. My ISM saddle helps a lot too.
Old 10-06-16, 07:20 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by hagak
Really used bike shorts? That is like buying used underwear! Actually worse considering it is guaranteed that the previous wearer did a good bit of sweating in them.

To each his own. I would probably go for a used jersey before going for used shorts, but that is me. That said, I gave a lightly used pair of my old shorts to a friend who does wear them.

Last edited by MRT2; 10-06-16 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-06-16, 08:16 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
I'm a fan of thin liners & use Zoot Ultra Tri 9" Short with Biowrap (a soft wide elastic band at the thigh which is more comfortable than the previous thin tight band) maybe the saddle is the problem?

https://zootsports.com/mens/apparel/m...ri-9-short-s14

Last edited by rumrunn6; 10-06-16 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-06-16, 08:18 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
There are tons of great quality bibs out there, depending on what you want to spend.

Personally, for newbies, I always recommend the Performance Ultras. You can get them in plain black and the logos aren't annoyingly huge, so they go with just about anything. They're high quality (not the best, not the worst, but they'll get you through a century), yet you can still pick them up for cheap if you watch the sales.

Performance Ultra Bib Shorts - 2016
+1 Or even the 2016 Elite bib (or non bib) shorts. Would be ideal to actually try them on and get on your bike. But failing that, Performance is an ok place to roll the dice.
Old 10-06-16, 08:45 AM
doug59

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
These look good, but the price jumps from $139 to $189 when I attempt to add a size (any size) to the cart

2XU is the brand: Compression Cycle Short

Take a look at the "Fusion Pro 2 Chamois"

These look worth trying because I can get them for $39

AeroTech Pro tighty shorts.

I usually ride 15 - 22 miles or so per ride for those that have asked this question.

Thank you very much for everyone's input. I really appreciate it.
Old 10-06-16, 11:18 AM
Jean3n16
Unavilable due to riding

Bikes: Nishiki Olympic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No its not a joke, im glad you think its funny though. Have you ever heard of this great invention called a WASHING MACHINE and SOAP? Its pretty cool.

Originally Posted by MRT2
To each his own. I would probably go for a used jersey before going for used shorts, but that is me. That said, I gave a lightly used pair of my old shorts to a friend who does wear them.
Thanks.
Old 10-06-16, 11:34 AM
hagak

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jean3n16
No its not a joke, im glad you think its funny though. Have you ever heard of this great invention called a WASHING MACHINE and SOAP? Its pretty cool.

Thanks.
Still wont buy used underwear, regardless as to how clean you think it can get. Plus I have found most sports fabrics seemed to really hold on to the stink.
Old 10-06-16, 11:41 AM
Jean3n16
Unavilable due to riding

Bikes: Nishiki Olympic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Still wont buy used underwear, regardless as to how clean you think it can get. Plus I have found most sports fabrics seemed to really hold on to the stink.
Ok. I wasnt really asking. The OP asked for thoughts, i gave MINE.