Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Sub-Compact Cranks for Touring - The Next Trend?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Sub-Compact Cranks for Touring - The Next Trend?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-17, 12:53 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
the unfortunate thing is that the opinions/comments/reasoning of the last three fellows dont make the manufacturers give a rats patootee.

that said, I figure triple setups are always going to be around on real touring bikes, its just unfortunate that on lots of bikes that could be useful touring bikes will often have gearing that isnt low enough for a lot of folks, but then this has been the case a lot in the past also....

plus this topic tends to come back to the same opinions put out by those of us who find triples very useful and the perfect tool for the job......
Old 11-04-17, 02:29 PM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
triples are more useful in a rolling hill terrain.
The cog in the back stays the same gear while you change between the middle ring and outter ring in the front.
You just alternate between them depending if you go up or down hill.
You remain seated on the flats and downhill while standing on the crank when going up the short uphill.
Old 11-04-17, 02:33 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
the unfortunate thing is that the opinions/comments/reasoning of the last three fellows dont make the manufacturers give a rats patootee.

that said, I figure triple setups are always going to be around on real touring bikes, its just unfortunate that on lots of bikes that could be useful touring bikes will often have gearing that isnt low enough for a lot of folks, but then this has been the case a lot in the past also....

plus this topic tends to come back to the same opinions put out by those of us who find triples very useful and the perfect tool for the job......
Wouldn't be so bad, if everyone still made shifters that supported triples.

With a modern 11s indexed drivetrain your choice is either Shimano XT Di2 or Campag Athena last I looked.
Old 11-04-17, 03:10 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3460 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by djb

I think that the category of "touring" is so broad that it is hard to really define a good system for touring.

Regarding drivetrains, I am not seeing any firm trends. There are more using Rohloff drivetrains, although the high markups for German components clearly limits that transition in USA. (When I bought my Rohloff from a German supplier, if I bought it in USA it would have cost about 50 to 60 percent more.) When cycle touring in Iceland for a month in 2016 I saw more Rohloffs than I have seen in all of my other tours in USA combined. Outside of USA, more IGH usage is a firm trend. I do not know yet if gearing built into the bottom bracket is going to take off or not.

Drivetrains for derailleur bikes is slowly following trends established by road bikes, but with wider gearing. The biggest trends I see here is cassettes with more sprockets over time (like road bikes) and more touring bikes with brifters instead of bar end shifters (also, like road bikes).

As mountain bikes and hybrids gain wider range cassettes, I would not be surprised if triple cranks disappear from the mass market within a decade. And once triples are no longer offered on mountain bikes and hybrids, they will no longer be made and thus will be unavailable to touring mass market models.

You might find companies like Sugino continue to make triples, but if new shifters and front derailleurs are not available to mate with them, those might disappear too.

This past spring I built up a new Titanium touring bike but the drivetrain is mostly using components that were designed over two decades ago, square taper crank, eight speed cassette, an M739 XT rear derailleur, bar end shifters, steel axle cup and cone rear hub. Since the bike has a rear disc brake, I needed a new hub for it and could not use a wheel from my collection. I chose the M756A XT rear hub that uses the older style steel axle instead of a newer style of hub with cartridge bearings. Call me a Luddite if you want, but I wanted a drive train that is robust, easily replaceable, reliable, and easy to repair. (I think I just defined a four "R"s for cycle touring.)
Old 11-04-17, 05:33 PM
tspoon

Bikes: 1990 Paul Dye Hand Built 7 Speed, 1965 Raleigh Sport, Folding 26" Tourer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 15 Posts
I wouldn't read too much into trends. Once they stop selling triples they can wait a year or two before bringing them back, whilst regaling us all with sales blather about how great this 'new' innovation is (biopace, anyone?). Cycling seems an inherently faddy and trend based pass time, and remember, outside of the commuting, touring, and utility sub-groups, most bikes are just recreational machines, something for people to spend disposable income on. (Come to think of it, touring is pretty much purely recreational also, it just has a few unique gear needs shared mainly with commuters and utility cyclists.)
Old 11-04-17, 06:22 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Nope, they call them oval, sell them for mt and fat bikes. Wait, weren't the biopace oval? ......
Nope... doesn't quite roll off the tongue like oval or elliptical but... they were asymmetrical or in Shimano-speak: they exhibited a, point-symmetric egg curve.
Old 11-04-17, 10:19 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti

With a modern 11s indexed drivetrain your choice is either Shimano XT Di2 or Campag Athena last I looked.
Shimano DA bar end shifters too. They can run 3x11.
Same with Microshift bs-A11 shifters.
Old 11-05-17, 10:49 AM
hermanchauw

Bikes: Voodoo Hoodoo, Linus Libertine

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Diamond
(I think one could write a separate article on the shift to mountain bike parts for touring)
This is my set up.

22-32-42 standard mtb cranks.

Standard mtb shifters.
Old 11-05-17, 11:50 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Well thats a setup ive never seen before.
Old 11-05-17, 12:10 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Well thats a setup ive never seen before.
+1,

Herman, what didn't you like about mounting the thumbies to the top of your drop bar?

Last edited by robow; 11-05-17 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-05-17, 01:44 PM
Diamond
Rain Rider

Bikes: Breezer Beltway (commuter), Co-Motion Deschutes, Specialized Tarmac, Salsa La Cruz (rain bike), Co-Motion Tandem

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Range is only one factor in gearing. Probably the least important one as well. Compare these two gearing patterns. The lower one is the gearing I currently use on my touring bike. Both have the same "range" but it's pretty easy to see that if you went to that extreme, the shifting pattern on the double would be almost impossible to use. The transition from one to the other is too extreme. In essence, the bike is equipped with 2 independent 9 speed systems.

So let's go to a more reasonable double. But which end of the range should be sacrificed? Keeping the low at the same point...I really like having a super low gear... and assuming that some overlap between the two rings would be good, a 32/20 would be a good choice. But, if you look closely, I'd be coasting at a bit over 20 mph. That's way too slow for downhills.

Sacrificing the low end, I could use a 46/32. Frankly, my knees hurt just looking at that one.

Of course I could pick a more middle ground but then I lose the low gears and the high gears. Of course just staying with the triple, I can keep the high, keep the low and have lots of choices in between. I don't see that a sacrificing anything.
First, great link to showing your gearing! I hadn't seen that before. So I used that to enter in my 28/38 front and 11 speed 11-40 rear. Chart. I think that is far more reasonable. I certainly agree that in the past a triple was de rigueur for touring but these days, with 11 speed rear, the case is far less compelling.

Last edited by Diamond; 11-05-17 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-05-17, 05:29 PM
hermanchauw

Bikes: Voodoo Hoodoo, Linus Libertine

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
+1,

Herman, what didn't you like about mounting the thumbies to the top of your drop bar?
1. Modifications. I couldn't get the shifters to go around the bend. Gets stuck once the bend starts. Lol.

2. Can't reach them from the drops.

3. Too far from the hoods.

4. Even if i could mount them on the tops, like some people do (google), that would reduce the grip space on the tops.
Old 11-05-17, 08:42 PM
djb

Originally Posted by Diamond
First, great link to showing your gearing! I hadn't seen that before. So I used that to enter in my 28/38 front and 11 speed 11-40 rear. Chart. I think that is far more reasonable. I certainly agree that in the past a triple was de rigueur for touring but these days, with 11 speed rear, the case is far less compelling.
That 38/28 combo with 11 speeds does make a reasonable setup--as always, the factors of 11 speeds costs, 11 speed longevity of chains and how much cross chaining affects the drivetrain are all real concerns, not to mention how much shifting between the 38 and 28 would be going on....all realistic concerns from someone who has toured a lot.

To repeat myself though, with a lighter load it would probably work really well, cost and wear issues aside.
Old 11-06-17, 08:57 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts

3x9 flat bar of sorts with a mt bike shifter, works for me. Not so much for drop bars.
Old 11-06-17, 09:02 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by boomhauer
triples are more useful in a rolling hill terrain.
The cog in the back stays the same gear while you change between the middle ring and outter ring in the front.
You just alternate between them depending if you go up or down hill.
You remain seated on the flats and downhill while standing on the crank when going up the short uphill.
Where is this short uphill touring you speak of? Not in New England where I pedal. Maybe in the flats of the mid west? My idea of loaded touring/bikepacking is to have a low enough gear in which to be able to sit and spin without redlining. Sometimes the hills might be a couple of miles long.
Old 11-06-17, 05:26 PM
boomhauer

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Where is this short uphill touring you speak of? Not in New England where I pedal. Maybe in the flats of the mid west? My idea of loaded touring/bikepacking is to have a low enough gear in which to be able to sit and spin without redlining. Sometimes the hills might be a couple of miles long.
Yes, the short uphills and downhills of the midwest are frustrating, at times. It is constant shifting, at times. I found it is much easier to stay in the same cog on the rear and only shift the front derailleur. It requires keeping your speed up when approaching a hill (in your outer ring) then shifting to the middle ring while standing on the crank during the hill. At the top you can sit and shift back into the larger outer ring, then coast downhill.
I used to live in New Hampshire. I know what you're saying. The hills are too long for this.
Old 11-06-17, 06:11 PM
djb

yup, Ive never had the luxury of being on nice easy hills like that, well, hardly ever thats for sure.....
Old 11-06-17, 09:22 PM
twodownzero

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Ribble Nero Corsa, Surly Karate Monkey, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Cannondale MT800, Evil Insurgent

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure the Shimano 5700 shifters I'm using will be available for a long time. Tiagra is still available in a triple as well.

If not, I guess I have to bite the bullet and go for a bigger cassette and live with the smallest small ring they can give me.

I have 26x30 now and I might not use the last two or three, but if I'm 120 miles into a brevet and my legs feel like jello, I will be happy to climb at 7 mph and finish.
Old 11-07-17, 09:08 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts

If you have to have the latest and greatest, then 11 speed is limited. However if you are willing to downgrade to the vastly inferior () 10 speed, you can still use Shimano's absolutely awful 105 components. If you want to downgrade to the positively Neanderthalic 9 speed systems, Shimano offers the Sora. There's also Microshift which makes 3x10 stuff as well.

There's also alway barend shifters...I hate 'em, but they are still an option.

And, of course, there are tons of old 7,8,9 speed shifters floating around on Fleabay. They are probably good for another 10 or 15 years so you'll be ready for the "Improved®" triple when it comes back around.

Perhaps a bit too much snark but doubles really chap my hide!
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 11-07-17 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-20-17, 12:57 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The chainrings did not win the races, but marketing can try to convince you of that..

... any how 46 30 doubles are a thing..
Old 11-20-17, 07:51 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by zzzxxx111
Chris Froome rides oval chainrings, his team mates do not. Hard to argue wit a 4 time TDF winner. I tried once and did not like them. But what ever!!
lance prefers biochemistry over biopace.
hard to argue with a 7-time TourDeFraud weener.
Old 11-25-17, 08:04 PM
Sharpshin

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by xraydog
Specialized Sequoia with a subcompact (46/30 crank)

That's what I like and enjoy.
OMG, I've been ahead of the times 🙄

I've been running a 32-20 up front with a 9 speed 12-36 cassette in back on my '89 worked-over Voyageur. Original downtube friction shifters, original derailleurs front and back (I did replace the cables 🙂 )

OK, I'll 'fess up, I have a 44 chainring too but that doesn't count since I never use it.
Old 11-27-17, 01:55 AM
metzenberg

Bikes: Surly LHT; Surly Ogre; Sekai 1970s classic; Old Trek Hard-tail Mountain Bike; Trek 7200

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aging Cranks Are Touring - The Next Trend!

Back when I was in my 20s, I mostly rode on the 52 front, 14 rear, crossing entire countries without shifting (small flat countries like Belgium).

Now that I’m an aging crank (61 years old), I need a smaller front chain ring.
Old 12-03-17, 07:19 PM
meyers66

Bikes: 2007 Bianchi Volpe

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by samkl
What's the benefit over a triple? Certainly doesn't seem cheaper. Even if you're concerned about weight (and I don't see why you would be on a touring bike), I can't imagine this weighs much less, what with the huge cogs and assorted extra parts.

Makes sense if your bike came with a 2x STI shifter, but otherwise I don't get it
My sentiments exactly. Why go through the hassle unless you have money to burn? Co motion seems over priced to me. But they are pretty. As far as I know a LHT will run you around $1500 and you’re done. A bike shop should have told you up front what changing the gear set up would entail. IMHO if you’re buying a new touring bike, the gear range is the starting point. Most are too high. My Volpe has a low of 28 and I’d like lower. Just my .02.