Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Talk me out of converting my Scott Metrix into a road bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-20, 11:09 AM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts

I love my R3 and mostly ride that. For fun I have been thinking about adding drops to my Scott Metrix 10 hybrid. I recently threw my carbon wheels on it and it looks do darn good and fast. From what I understand, this hybrid is basically a flat bar road bike. Is the Metrix frame similar or the same to the Addict? Geometry-wise, would it be a waste to convert this bike to a full road bike?
Old 10-08-20, 12:27 PM
TrackSmart

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
I'm happy to help you put that idea out of your head. First, that's one of the nicest flat bar road bikes I've seen. My strong vote is to:
Option 1: Don't touch it. Enjoy this bike for times when you want fat tires (dirt and gravel roads, etc) and a more upright and controlled position on the bike.
Option 2: Sell it and buy an actual drop bar gravel bike if you *must* have drop bars on your fat tire bike.

Why spend a lot of time and money just to turn a great flat bar bike into a highly compromised road bike? For goodness sake, you already have an R3 for the road. And if you want a gravel bike, then sell this bike and get one. It will be way less hassle, probably cost you about the same amount of money when all is said and done, and be a way better gravel bike than this thing can ever be turned into.

Did that help?
Old 10-08-20, 04:18 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
The Addict and the Metrix have the same geometry numbers including stack and reach so if you want to try something new in a more endurance fit, then why not? Change the bars and you have an endurance fit Addict so I have to disagree with TrackSmart here. If you bought an Addict you would be getting the exact same frame. The beauty of this possible conversion is if you hate it you can always change it back. No harm no foul.

Where I will agree with TrackSmart is you have a nice flat bar road bike (not a hybrid) and it is something completely different than the R3. Sometimes it is nice to have different style bikes. You could upgrade the Metrix with it's own set of carbon rims instead of converting it to a drop bar and that would be a killer bike. If you do convert, then post photos.

https://www.scott-sports.com/ca/en/p...metrix-10-bike
https://www.scott-sports.com/in/en/p...icle=280627020

For the geometries.
Old 10-08-20, 04:19 PM
InvertedMP 

Originally Posted by TrackSmart
I'm happy to help you put that idea out of your head. First, that's one of the nicest flat bar road bikes I've seen. My strong vote is to:
Option 1: Don't touch it. Enjoy this bike for times when you want fat tires (dirt and gravel roads, etc) and a more upright and controlled position on the bike.
Option 2: Sell it and buy an actual drop bar gravel bike if you *must* have drop bars on your fat tire bike.

Why spend a lot of time and money just to turn a great flat bar bike into a highly compromised road bike? For goodness sake, you already have an R3 for the road. And if you want a gravel bike, then sell this bike and get one. It will be way less hassle, probably cost you about the same amount of money when all is said and done, and be a way better gravel bike than this thing can ever be turned into.

Did that help?
Honestly, I love tinkering so it would be a fun project, as long as it would make a decent road bike.
Old 10-08-20, 04:21 PM
InvertedMP 

Originally Posted by blakcloud
The Addict and the Metrix have the same geometry numbers including stack and reach so if you want to try something new in a more endurance fit, then why not? Change the bars and you have an endurance fit Addict so I have to disagree with TrackSmart here. If you bought an Addict you would be getting the exact same frame. The beauty of this possible conversion is if you hate it you can always change it back. No harm no foul.

Where I will agree with TrackSmart is you have a nice flat bar road bike (not a hybrid) and it is something completely different than the R3. Sometimes it is nice to have different style bikes. You could upgrade the Metrix with it's own set of carbon rims instead of converting it to a drop bar and that would be a killer bike. If you do convert, then post photos.

https://www.scott-sports.com/ca/en/p...metrix-10-bike
https://www.scott-sports.com/in/en/p...icle=280627020

For the geometries.
Thanks a bunch. You confirmed my thoughts. Maybe I will leave it. I just barely ride it, but I love it and don't want to get rid of it.
Old 10-08-20, 05:35 PM
TrackSmart

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Ha ha. He asked us to convince him NOT to do the conversion. Now you're pushing the idea of drop bar conversion plus *a second set of carbon wheels*! Way to go, man!
Old 10-09-20, 03:38 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 2015, Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2015, Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP 2008, Cube Cross Race SL 2018, Chapter2 TOA 2022

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 37 Posts
That picture alone would have me ordering a set of drop bars and carbon wheels for the Metrix. That looks fantastic.
Old 10-23-20, 01:12 PM
InvertedMP 

Ok well I did it lol. Pretty happy with the outcome!