Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Riding the Outer Banks

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-21, 10:29 PM
CaptMike

Bikes: Waterford Sport Tourer, Merlin Extralight, Fuji Suncrest, Why Cycles Big Iron, Seven Monster X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Riding the Outer Banks

I am thinking of stopping by the Outer Banks for a couple of days, the end of January. Is anyone familiar with the cycling there? How is Rt 12 to ride on? The shoulder? I'd like to do maybe two days of 50-60 miles each, then move on. Back roads of any duration would work. I see that there are two Rail Trails north of Nags Head, but only 6 and 9 miles long. Thank you.
Old 12-28-21, 10:57 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 79 Posts
My wife and I took around 6 day credit card tour many years ago. It was in the fall. Can't remember any traffic or road issues at that time. The only hills I remember were the bridges. Here was our town to town

New Bern to Beaufort

Beaufort to Buxton

Buxton to Manteo

Manteo to Belhaven

Belhaven to New Bern

Hope this helps.
Likes For debade:
Old 12-28-21, 11:00 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
My lady and I rode last April/May from Ocracoke in the south to Corolla in the north, on highway 12 the whole way until we ran out of pavement. Then we turned around and rode back to Ocracoke. Self supported, about 40-50-ish miles a day, stayed in hotels and inns.

To start, we left our vehicle at the ferry landing at Cedar Point, taking the early ferry to Ocracoke and rode from there. Late April traffic was tolerable but earlier would have been better. Not much shoulder in places, but in January it shouldn't be a factor because traffic is mostly seasonal, so I've heard. Never been there in winter, so some restaurants and hotels may be less available. Weather can be a factor. Wind should be expected, but who doesn't enjoy a good headwind? If the weather gets bad, the ferry may not run that day, so be aware of the schedule.

It was fun and we enjoyed it.
Old 12-30-21, 09:26 AM
CaptMike

Bikes: Waterford Sport Tourer, Merlin Extralight, Fuji Suncrest, Why Cycles Big Iron, Seven Monster X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Sounds like two great rides. Thank you guys for the feedback. Safe New Year riding to you all.