Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

95 Trek 820 help needed

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

95 Trek 820 help needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-21, 02:04 PM
App4that

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
95 Trek 820 help needed

Finally have my 820 where I want it, though having some issues with shifting between 2nd and 3rd on the front. Person at the local bike show said it probably needs adjustment. Does anyone have advice on a good book to buy that covers how to keep a older bicycle maintained?
Old 09-04-21, 03:23 PM
guy1138

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 51 Posts
No idea what book to recommend, but if you're having trouble getting into the big dog, I'd start with checking the limit screw. The ramping wasn't great back then, so it would sort of "overshift" to get into the big ring. You also may not be shifting it right, you kinda got to push (or twist) past the index point, then relax once it catches
Old 09-04-21, 04:51 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 917 Posts
And if that doesn't work, check with RJ the Bike Guy on YouTube; he's probably done a video on that shifter, whatever it is.
Likes For Korina:
Old 09-04-21, 05:44 PM
App4that

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by guy1138
No idea what book to recommend, but if you're having trouble getting into the big dog, I'd start with checking the limit screw. The ramping wasn't great back then, so it would sort of "overshift" to get into the big ring. You also may not be shifting it right, you kinda got to push (or twist) past the index point, then relax once it catches

Pretty sure that’s what the guy said, they charge 15 bucks to adjust it. Thanks though now I know what to look for as for walk throughs