Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Backpacks, panniers, and trunks?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-17, 09:15 AM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts

Just curious, what method do you folks prefer for carrying stuff with you on your bikes?
This thought came home after riding my bike to the bike shop, buying several items, then had to carry them home in a small shopping bag dangling from my handle bar.
I'm leaning towards backpacks at the moment since I have a few, and really wish I had brought one along.
Old 06-03-17, 09:16 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Trunks or panniers. They're wonderful things if your bike has points to mount racks. Needed some bar tape yesterday, didn't have my trunk mounted so just used some tie-line to strap the bartape box to my rear rack.
Old 06-03-17, 09:40 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
If I wear a backpack, my back turns into a sweaty mess, so I avoid that.

Never tried trunk bags, but the people I know that have them love them, they seem great if you are just dealing with a coat or a couple small things. I prefer panniers, I have a few of differing sizes, I can grab the one I need for the stuff I'm planning on carrying, and they pop on and off relatively quick
Old 06-03-17, 09:50 AM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
When I've commuted I used backpacks; but I don't really like using them. On my steel bike I use a small trunk and panniers and I like that better.
Old 06-03-17, 10:00 AM
UltraManDan

Bikes: 2015 Aventon Diamond

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use a backpack to commute, but mainly because I don't have the ability to add a rack on my bike and like it minimal. I have used panniers though, and liked the fact that I didn't have 15-20lbs on my back. lol.
Old 06-03-17, 10:03 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I only wear a high intensity yellow jersey or T shirt to increase my visibility. A backpack would would cover most of the yellow. Sometimes I use a largish handlebar bag usually during warmer months. During colder months when I am likely to be wearing more and heavier layers, a trunk bag or panniers works better to carry stuff as it comes off or to carry extra layers when it gets colder later in the day. We are able to ride most winter days here but it pays to be ready for warmer or colder temps.
Old 06-03-17, 10:15 AM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I hate wearing backpacks while riding. A loaded backpack can be uncomfortable and it can obstruct your view when you turn your head to look over your shoulder.

I use panniers and love 'em.
Old 06-03-17, 10:27 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
Depends on what and how much I'm carrying and how far.

On my 20-km commute I'll ride with a small backpack.

Shopping groceries I'll use panniers with a detachable trunk bag. I can carry a ton of stuff with this setup.

For going to the store to buy small items I'll take a backpack.
Old 06-03-17, 10:41 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Ballenxj
Just curious, what method do you folks prefer for carrying stuff with you on your bikes?

This thought came home after riding my bike to the bike shop, buying several items, then had to carry them home in a small shopping bag dangling from my handle bar.

I'm leaning towards backpacks at the moment since I have a few, and really wish I had brought one along.
Originally Posted by jefnvk
If I wear a backpack, my back turns into a sweaty mess, so I avoid that.

Never tried trunk bags, but the people I know that have them love them, they seem great if you are just dealing with a coat or a couple small things. I prefer panniers, I have a few of differing sizes, I can grab the one I need for the stuff I'm planning on carrying, andthey pop on and off relatively quick
Mostly a commuter, on my carbon fiber road bike without a rack I wear a backpack because I ride to sweat anyways. Usually I carry light weight voluminous stuff like a fleece, arm/leg warmers, or a jacket for changes in temperature. I have plenty of places to store good clothing and other items needed for work.

On my aluminum beater bike with a rack I use a Topeak Trunk bag, with smallish drop-down panniers because I carry more clothing items, especially for rain, like shoe covers, rain pants and water resistant gloves.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-03-17 at 11:12 AM. Reason: ly
Old 06-03-17, 10:54 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Just to get the information out there, I prefer a fourth option: A plain non-folding basket, Wald 585, attached to the drive side of the rack with hose clamps. These baskets are cheap, and the one on my commuter bike is at least 20 years old yet still in fine shape. Ugly, yes. But they can hold a full basket of groceries, or a six pack, bottle of wine, and a gallon of milk. Because the top of the basket is level with the rack, I've used it as a sort of "platform" to transport larger things, such as a quarter sheet of plywood. It also serves as a roll bar to protect the drivetrain if the bike tips over or gets knocked around while it's parked.

Students almost universally prefer backpacks. If you're a student, your backpack is your mobile office, and you're carrying it from place to place when you're not on the bike, so it makes sense.

If I'm concerned about rain, I throw things in a plastic bag.

Last edited by Gresp15C; 06-03-17 at 10:56 AM. Reason: speling
Old 06-03-17, 10:56 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Just to get the information out there, I prefer a fourth option: A plain non-folding basket, Wald 585, attached to the drive side of the rack with hose clamps. These baskets are cheap, and the one on my commuter bike is at least 20 years old yet still in fine shape. Ugly, yes. But they can hold a full basket of groceries, or a six pack, bottle of wine, and a gallon of milk. Because the top of the basket is level with the rack, I've used it as a sort of "platform" to transport larger things, such as a quarter sheet of plywood. It's also serves as a roll bar to protect the drivetrain if the bike tips over or gets knocked around while it's parked.

Students almost universally prefer backpacks. If you're a student, your backpack is your mobile office, and you're carrying it from place to place when you're not on the bike, so it makes sense.

If I'm concerned about rain, I throw things in a plastic bag.
Depends on the student.

Textbooks have gotten so numerous and heavy, that many students take to using wheeled-luggage on school campuses....because spinal problems resulting from the aforementioned numerous heavy textbooks are a real problem.
Old 06-03-17, 01:22 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked 1,689 Times in 832 Posts
I use a backpack on a back rack.
My older MTB-based commuter has wald folding baskets in the rear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
14921896429570.jpg (90.2 KB, 125 views)
Old 06-03-17, 01:33 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Depends on what I am carrying, for rides where i bring a jacket, I like a frame bag or handlebar bag. If I am just going out for a ride, I like a saddle bag and feed bag. I use the feed bag for holding my phone and some snacks. If I am shopping or touring, panniers and any of the other bags.

I don't like backpacks when cycling, the bike can carry the load instead of my back.
Old 06-03-17, 01:46 PM
Jadesfire 

Bikes: '88 Bianchi, '94ish Trek

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 58 Posts
While I would like to switch to panniers sometime in the future, at the moment when I need to carry stuff I use a backpack. I can fit a camelback insert if I need it, and I've added some 3M reflective tape to increase my visibility.
Old 06-03-17, 04:27 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
They all have their places. I've used all. Much depends on convenience, and how much you wish to carry. It sounded like in the scenario in the OP, a small backpack would have been fine. I have been using a Sea to Summit lightweight backpack for quite a few years for various tasks. Its advantage is that it can be put into a pocket, and then has quite a reasonable capacity; its one disadvantage is that the shoulder straps are thin and can dig in a bit.

For six years, I lived without owning a car and did my shopping using two panniers. Plus I also bicycle tour a bit, so the panniers have a double purpose.

I do long distance riding in areas where the weather can be highly variable, so I need to be able to carry a range of clothes as well as food. I've used the older style Topeak trunk bags a lot of the years and I like the way I can segregate stuff into each of the pockets, plus they are expandable. These are the bags that slides onto and off the dedicated Topeak racks (which incidentally, have never failed me). For short trips to the local grocery for a small shop, the trunk bags are great. I don't have any experience with the current MTX-style bags, except a very small one for MTB-ing, but I think they probably serve the same functions OK.

I also have a dedicated randonneuring bike with a Carradice Barley on the back, with a Bagman support. I can also fit a much larger Nelson Longflap if I am doing a little more shopping.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned and can carry light-ish, small-volume loads is a handlebar bag. I know they aren't fashionable now, but I have been using them for 20 years and will continue to do so. Probably the best I have had so far is a now-discontinued MEC bag that is simple, sturdy and has a reasonable volume for a six pack at least.
Old 06-03-17, 04:45 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3617 Post(s)
Liked 3,446 Times in 1,957 Posts
Backpacks are "ok" for light loads and short distances, but that's all. I used a trunk type bag for commuting, but all I had to carry was my lock, a change of clothes, and my stethoscope. For grocery shopping/farmer's market type trips I use panniers. For really heavy/bulky loads (e.g. quarter-barrel of beer & ice), a trailer.
Old 06-03-17, 06:52 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
A light mission workshop Sanction waterproof backpack. Carry cloths, tools and sometimes a Macbook Air in it for my 30+ mi RT commute. Prefer it to panniers as I am not limited in what bike I can use for commuting, and a backpack doesn't bother me too much.
Old 06-03-17, 09:04 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Backpack works for short and/or infrequent use. Better than lugging the weight of a rack all the time. If you carry a lot frequently, rack is best.

I try to cover everything with frame bags (handle bar, in frame triangle, and on top tube frame pannier bag). That won't work for actual transporting, only for what i need while riding (water, some food, tools, spare tubes, maybe some clothing etc.). I don't commute, so that may not apply to everyone.
my goal is to keep the bike light. Adding all kind of bags and racks defeats the purpose. there are some huge handlebar bags that you can take off for days you don't need them. Some of them weigh over 1 kg (empty of course).
Old 06-03-17, 09:45 PM
Ballenxj

A lot of pros and cons here for backpacks. Seems the trunk is popular, as are panniers. My bike shop is going to love me when ordering a rack, panniers, and a trunk.
Mr Thompson, did you really carry a 1/4 keg of beer with ice on your trailer?
Believe it or not, I've been looking at trailers too. That's another subject though.
Old 06-03-17, 09:54 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
2 wheel trailers..., I've hauled a CRT thrift store TV Home in mine, then re donated it when I got something else.

there are convertible pannier/back packs too
Old 06-03-17, 10:50 PM
Ballenxj

Originally Posted by fietsbob
there are convertible pannier/back packs too
Haven't seen those, then again, there are a lot of things I haven't seen.
Old 06-03-17, 11:12 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
A backpack will get the job done. What I use depends on how much stuff I am carrying.

A Lot of Stuff (books, laptop, extra clothes, weekly groceries for two): Large messenger bag. I personally find this more comfortable than a backpack when riding in a more aggressive/aero position, though slightly less comfortable when sitting upright. In my heyday I carried all kinds of crazy heavy stuff in a messenger bag, but now I'm too old and it makes my back hurt. Benefit: actual messenger bags are super water (mud, slush, snow, etc.) proof. Panniers would accomplish the same task; I just like the feeling of having all my crap strapped to my body.

A Tiny Bit of Stuff (tubes, C02, nutrition, bike tool): Saddle bag.

A Bit More Stuff (extra clothing and lighting, more tubes, battery backup): Handlebar bag in addition to saddle bag.

Tons Of Stuff (35 pound tub of cat litter, air conditioning unit): Cargo trailer.
Old 06-04-17, 06:22 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
All my riding is pretty much recreational, altho I do run some errands. Because of this I use a trunk pack behind the seat. I carry all the usual bits and pieces, tubes etc, but as a life long technician, I carry extra tools. The trunk is not in the air stream so causes no drag, and may even give an ever so slight aero effect since it fills in behind the seat.
Old 06-04-17, 06:56 AM
tedder987

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I commute ~34 miles per day and now generally use a cycling-specific backpack (from Deuter) that holds the pack off my pack so I still get cooling airflow. Way better than a normal backpack. I also tried a rack and trunk bag (made the bike too heavy for climbing and I have ~1400' of climbing over the 34 mile round trip). I also wanted to try panniers but I have big feet and a bike with a shortish wheelbase (Giant defy) and could not create a configuration where my heels didn't hit the bag.

With respect to berner and covering his high-vis shirt, I bought some 3-m reflective fabric and sewed it onto the outside of the pack in shapes that resembled the original panels so now under lighting it looks like this to a driver approaching from behind.

edit. Not sure why the pic won't show but try this link to it https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0F...ew?usp=sharing
Old 06-04-17, 07:01 PM
supton
Cries on hills

Bikes: 2007 Trek Pilot 1.2, 1969 Raleigh Sprite 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hated using a backpack when I commuted in college. Only 4 miles but I felt like all it did was trap all the heat under it. Shame, as it didn't mess with the balance of the bike. Much prefer a rack with whatever required to carry stuff--back then it was a large milk crate (ever move a couple of weeks of laundry? believe you me, that bike handled funny). These days I have a small seatpost mounted rack, but I'm finding that the one I have has this bolt too close to my leg--the clamp is too wide. So I need to replace it. But I very much like the bag on a rack for carrying stuff. About I care to have in my jersey pocket is my cell phone.