Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Storing New Bike in FL Garage?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-16, 07:49 PM
CF7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All,

I just bought a Giant Roam 2 as a way to get some exercise and get back on something with a handlebar and two wheels. I originally planned on keeping the bike on a stand in my attached garage but I'm second guessing after comments from a rep at local Performance Bike suggesting that bikes should NOT be stored in a garage. This rep rides a high end road bike probably several times more expensive than what I paid for the Roam. While the Roam isn't an "expensive" bike, it does fit my needs for now and I would like to keep it in good shape as I do most other things I work and pay for. Any thoughts on whether I should I shouldn't store the bike in the garage? Located in Tampa, FL.
Old 12-03-16, 08:00 PM
hockey

Bikes: Trek 5200, Giant Rainier, Devinci Destination,Motobecane CF, Bike Friday family tandem, Bike Friday NWT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Agree. No for garage

If your garage is not air conditioned do not store your bike there. Corrosion from inconsistent humidity levels plus contaminants will result in pitting and rust. Speaking from experience.
Old 12-03-16, 08:03 PM
CF7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Panda sushi
Why did the shop rat (using that term loosely since Performance is just shy of a big box store) suggest that a bike can't be stored in a garage?

Summary: Your bike will be fine. Ignore that person.
Basically that the humidity here in Florida is tough on the bike components (cables, chain) and anything that moves on the bike.
Old 12-03-16, 08:41 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
We keep our good bikes in the house. I have a beater Bianchi on the porch that hasn't show much ill effect. But we keep bikes on the porch at the beach house about half a block from the gulf and they get rusted and pitted quickly.

It depends on your location and the conditions in the garage. If you're not too close to the coast and you're riding the bike regularly, it probably won't be too bad, but if you can keep it in the house it's always preferable.
Old 12-03-16, 08:46 PM
adamhenry
MUP World Champ

Bikes: '19 Trance 3, '17 Defy Adv 2, DK Legend, Electra Verse 21D

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
I live about a mile from the beach. Our humidity is nothing like Florida but my tools in the garage corrode due to the ocean air.
Old 12-03-16, 08:49 PM
FullGas

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
if you value your bike, store it indoors.

if it's a cheap beater, then don't worry about it.
Old 12-04-16, 08:43 AM
Jean_TX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I once lived in Lakeland FL for 17 years and I stored my bikes in the garage. Neither bike suffered any corrosion. The bike store guy is being a tad anal...
Old 12-04-16, 09:02 AM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Depends on the bike and quality of materials, paint, and components. Dutch bikes from Workcycles and Azor have a good powder coat paint and stainless components. They can stay outside or in a garage, even in varying humidity, salt, snow, and sun for decades with little to no damage. This even if maintenance is totally neglected. Gazelle, Batavus and some others are a step below but still hold up well. If they are not ridden frequently then an annual oil job on the cables if it has them would be good.

Lessor bikes, if kept clean, maintained, very well oiled and free from dings, should do fairly well too though perhaps not multi-decades. At least so long as they are used fairly frequently. Sitting for weeks or months at a time will lead to problems.

Several people have told me that newer CF bikes should be kept inside though both for the frame and some bits of the components that won't tolerate the salt and humidity as well. I've no direct experience with CF in Florida though since all of our Florida bikes are Workcycles.
Old 12-04-16, 10:46 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
lock it up in the garage and lock up any tools in the garage that can be used to defeat the lock you use to lock the bike..

a lot of bikes dissapear from garages left open just for a few minutes.
Old 12-04-16, 11:04 AM
FullGas

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
So I've doing it all wrong over the last few decades by keeping $20k+ worth of bikes in the garage? The horror!

(still value my bikes but am not irrational about my toys as you proclaim to be)

my reasons are totally rational, my garage has a limited degree of security...perhaps yours is more fortress-like.

bikes (~$9K) are stored in one bedroom, dive gear (~$30K) in another.

also prefer climate-control for my toys, extended periods of high heat and humidity aren't good for them. also reduces any potential damage from rodents and insects.
Old 12-04-16, 11:07 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Lakeland is well inland and Tampa is a port city. However, "Tampa" covers a pretty large area, and if you aren't seafront, I'd do it. If you see excessive corrosion, do something else.
Old 12-04-16, 11:21 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Theft protection being the exception of course, if you have to keep your bike indoors, Then you should ride it indoors. Unless you only ride it very occasionally. It's all about normal periodic maintenance for your bike to last practically forever. What did all those bicycles do before air conditioning?
Old 12-04-16, 12:36 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
New, untapped market: bike humidors.
Old 12-04-16, 01:31 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Or for FLA Dehumidifiers ..
Old 12-04-16, 01:33 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
Originally Posted by adamhenry
I live about a mile from the beach. Our humidity is nothing like Florida but my tools in the garage corrode due to the ocean air.
I think the salt air is much more of a factor than humidity. As I said, there's a huge difference between the impact on bikes stored on the porch at our beach place and the bike stored on the porch on our house, which is about 25 miles inland.
Old 12-04-16, 01:51 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
7/26/1986 my 1981 Paramount and 1983 Paramount took up residence in my garage 1.5 miles from the Gulf of Mexico here in SW FL. Still riding them without issues. Keep my 2013 Propel Advanced SL in the same garage.
Old 12-04-16, 02:07 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I also live in Tampa and have two bikes which neither are kept indoors. Since I ride daily, my carbon fiber road bike lives in the van, along with my wife's trike, and is parked in a carport. My aluminum hybrid is kept in our shed under a plastic cover and has been there for the last six years. I seldom ride the hybrid anymore but when I do, I only need to wipe away the cob webs and put air in the tires. Every few months, I'll take the hybrid out of the shed and give it a good cleaning on days that I'm cleaning my road bike. I rode the hybrid for two years after purchasing it and it looks the same today as when it was my main bike. All of my riding buddies keep their road, mountain and hybrid bikes in the garage. No problems.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 12-04-16, 06:26 PM
CF7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
I also live in Tampa and have two bikes which neither are kept indoors. Since I ride daily, my carbon fiber road bike lives in the van, along with my wife's trike, and is parked in a carport. My aluminum hybrid is kept in our shed under a plastic cover and has been there for the last six years. I seldom ride the hybrid anymore but when I do, I only need to wipe away the cob webs and put air in the tires. Every few months, I'll take the hybrid out of the shed and give it a good cleaning on days that I'm cleaning my road bike. I rode the hybrid for two years after purchasing it and it looks the same today as when it was my main bike. All of my riding buddies keep their road, mountain and hybrid bikes in the garage. No problems.
Sounds good. Thanks!
Old 12-05-16, 07:54 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
I live in Tampa as well and have always stored my bikes in the garage. They are designed to be outdoor equipment so I'm not worried about it.
Old 12-05-16, 08:08 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
I wonder how many folks in Florida store their cars inside to avoid "corrosion from inconsistent humidity levels plus contaminants will result in pitting and rust" and to protect "anything that moves on their" cars?
MANY houses in FL do not have attics or basements, the garage is used for storage and thus the cars remain outside. MY WIFE'S car squeezes into our 2 car garage but mine remains OUTSIDE to make room for bikes and stuff.
Old 12-05-16, 09:03 AM
Jaxjag
Very Old Newbie

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport Carbon

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yeah, my bike in Jacksonville is and will remain in the garage. I clean it periodically and put some protectant on it. It gets a lot more salt from my sweat dropping on it than it does in the garage. I would be more concerned with theft than damage from heat and humidity.
Old 12-05-16, 10:23 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
$20k+
This is almost funny, if it weren't for the pathetic part getting in the way.
Old 12-05-16, 11:16 AM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
My bikes are stored inside for reasons of security and longevity.
Old 12-05-16, 11:22 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Some folks are easily confused. Sorry about that.
Yep. I'm slow. I had to read it nine times before I figured out that you were talking about how awesome you are.
Old 12-05-16, 11:47 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

petty and shallow.

Funny stuff. I'm not the one posting the monetary value of my possessions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.