Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Favero Assioma Duo dead battery

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-22, 04:48 AM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts

My left Favero Duo pedal battery no longer takes a charge. Favero tells me it will cost approx $ 250.00 for a new battery/spindle assembly. On their website they claim 25,000 hours battery life. I am nowhere near that but out of warranty. To me it seems they should honor their claim regardless of warranty. The cost of the pedals was high but worth it. I may need to rethink it if I need to spend so much on “ maintenance” .
Old 12-13-22, 04:56 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4426 Post(s)
Liked 4,876 Times in 3,019 Posts
So basically an entire new pedal then! You would have thought they would make the battery easily replaceable. Both my Quark and 4iiii power meters use simple replaceable CR2032 calculator batteries. This would be a red card for me.
Old 12-13-22, 06:55 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3153 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,036 Posts
If you’re out of warranty you’re out of warranty, and if the expectation is for the them to replace or fix stuff anytime you have a problem beyond the warranty window, that’s simply unreasonable. Sure, it’d be nice if they hooked you up, but you can’t expect them to do that.

It’s a case of tough luck; my Duo have been not only flawless for years— I don’t even know;7 years?— but they also work with the Xpedo SPD pedal body swap hack, making them not only the best value pedal power meter on the market, but the most versatile for my needs.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 12-13-22, 06:09 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 683 Times in 328 Posts
Originally Posted by waters60
On their website they claim 25,000 hours battery life. I am nowhere near that but out of warranty.
Out of interest, how many years did it last? Did it die suddenly or slowly reduce life over time?
Old 12-13-22, 06:50 PM
waters60

Originally Posted by tempocyclist
Out of interest, how many years did it last? Did it die suddenly or slowly reduce life over time?

I think 3 years. They worked fine until two weeks ago.
Old 12-13-22, 10:29 PM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 200 Times in 92 Posts
Do the LEDs light up when you try to charge the pedal? Does the pedal appear in the app? There’s a ****** article discussing the problem with the pedal but the user who had the LED light up and appear in the app fixed his problem by forgetting the pedal then adding it back. Another user who did not see the LED light up or see the pedal in the app was out of luck and had to get a replacement spindle, at a discounted price.

edit: Google “favero assioma not charging” to find discussions on the topic.
Old 12-14-22, 04:14 AM
waters60

Originally Posted by momoman
Do the LEDs light up when you try to charge the pedal? Does the pedal appear in the app? There’s a ****** article discussing the problem with the pedal but the user who had the LED light up and appear in the app fixed his problem by forgetting the pedal then adding it back. Another user who did not see the LED light up or see the pedal in the app was out of luck and had to get a replacement spindle, at a discounted price.

edit: Google “favero assioma not charging” to find discussions on the topic.
Both pedals show up in the app. When charging the right one goes to flash when charged but the left stays solid. Favero did their remote diagnosis, to no avail. Just for fun I might try forgetting then re-syncing them.
Old 12-17-22, 10:10 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4740 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
I think 3 years. They worked fine until two weeks ago.
Well.. 3 years = 26,280 hours
Old 12-17-22, 01:18 PM
waters60

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Well.. 3 years = 26,280 hours
I like your sense of humor!
Old 12-17-22, 02:23 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4394 Post(s)
Liked 3,018 Times in 1,867 Posts
I thought that my FA pedals had died some months ago but it turned out that the problem was not so dire- it was that the charging contacts on the left pedal were stuck in a somewhat recessed position, such that the charger didn't make good contact with the battery.
Old 12-17-22, 05:03 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

I like your sense of humor!
Not entirely sure this is just humor though. I imagine that the 25,000 hours claim is referring to on-bike usage. I don't know the actual wording they used, but at the same time, say you ride 3hrs per day, every day of the year, and the battery you expect to last 25,000 hrs of ride time. That puts the longevity at about 23 years of usage. That strikes me also as really really unlikely, but who knows -- maybe rechargeable battery tech has really come that far. Though in the end it really doesn't matter what FA claim about their battery longevity, if they don't back it up with their warranty anyway.
Old 12-18-22, 06:18 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 4,009 Times in 2,676 Posts
Most electronic stuff is usually a 2 year warranty. Bosch, Shimano, Brose in their e-bike components are all 2 years from date of purchase from an authorized dealer. I would re-read their claim and figure out how it is worded but really at this point just time to get it replaced or look for something new with more standardized parts. Warranty exists for a reason for manufacturer defects and things like that in some cases some companies will offer goodwill replacements but not every company and nothing is guaranteed.
Old 12-18-22, 09:11 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Most electronic stuff is usually a 2 year warranty. Bosch, Shimano, Brose in their e-bike components are all 2 years from date of purchase from an authorized dealer. I would re-read their claim and figure out how it is worded but really at this point just time to get it replaced or look for something new with more standardized parts. Warranty exists for a reason for manufacturer defects and things like that in some cases some companies will offer goodwill replacements but not every company and nothing is guaranteed.
FWIW, I assume the OP is referring to this bit on their FAQ page.. which I'd have to say contradicts a bit with the spirit of what is covered by the warranty.