Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Intentional fatal hit and run by car thief, filmed by his passenger

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-23, 12:26 AM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

This is one of the most outrageous hit and run I've read about.

A retired police chief riding bike apparently on the far side of the road was murdered by a 17 year old who drove one of his stolen cars behind the cyclist and struck him intentionally. The passenger who filmed the whole thing seemed to have encouraged the driver to do it.

Video has emerged showing the recent hit-and-run death of a retired police chief in Las Vegas in what police are calling an intentional attack by the teenage driver.

Andreas Probst, 64, was fatally struck on August 14 while cycling in northwest Las Vegas, where he had retired after stepping down as the police chief of Bell, California, in 2009.

On Saturday, video circulated widely on social media and drew outraged reactions, showing the driver ask 'ready?' and the passenger, who was filming, laughing as he replies 'yeah, hit his a**.'
Very sad if you read how the victim's family found it out.

The article includes the disturbing video:

Las Vegas hit-and-run death of cyclist Andreas Probst was intentional, video shows: Retired police chief, 64, was murdered by laughing 17-year-old while on his morning bike ride

Old 09-17-23, 05:05 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 791 Posts
Wow, this a separate issue where a teenager has been charged with hitting three cyclists in one night, killing one. Police will only say the boy is between 14 - 17 years old

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/teen-dr...ch-california/

Teen driver arrested after "series of intentional hit-and-run incidents" leave 1 bicyclist dead, 2 injured in Huntington Beach, California

\A teenage driver was in custody Wednesday on suspicion of striking three bicyclists, killing one, in a Southern California beach city last weekend, in what police called a "series of intentional hit-and-run incidents."

In the first hit-and-run collision, a bicyclist said a black Toyota sideswiped him around 10:30 p.m Sunday night in Huntington Beach, leaving him with minor injuries, said Jessica Cuchilla, a police spokesperson.

Another cyclist said he was aggressively sideswiped by a black Toyota about 15 minutes later just up the road from the first collision, police said. And 15 minutes after that, a black Toyota sedan struck 70-year-old Steven Gonzales, who was alive when paramedics showed up but died at the scene.
Old 09-17-23, 06:46 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
A senseless tragedy and to make it even worse, in some instances the mainstream media has been referring to it as simply a bike crash
Old 09-17-23, 07:35 AM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
If there is a silver lining, the consequences will probably be serious since the victim was former law enforcement.
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 09-17-23, 07:48 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
I hope this doesn't become the new Tik-Tok challenge.
Let the idiots stick to eating Tide pods.
Old 09-17-23, 12:47 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Totally disgusting. What is wrong with some people?
Old 09-17-23, 02:01 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
This is murder.

Call it a 1st degree, premeditated MURDER.

Both of the car drivers should be tried Murder1 and spend the rest of their pitiful lives under the prison
Old 09-17-23, 02:20 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by JW Fas
If there is a silver lining, the consequences will probably be serious since the victim was former law enforcement.
Or maybe not... Bell California had quite a reputation around the time this guy "retired" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Bell_scandal
Old 09-17-23, 03:01 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
This type of crime should have automatic death penalty.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 09-17-23, 05:59 PM
Rick

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 275 Posts
This type of crime should have automatic death penalty.
​​​​​​​I agree in this case with total proof of this act the death penalty should be used.
Likes For Rick:
Old 09-17-23, 08:51 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
​​​​​​​I agree in this case with total proof of this act the death penalty should be used.
I don't know how practical it would be. The last time Nevada executed a criminal was 2006, and that guy killed two people (one of whom he graped first). I'm not claiming a jury wouldn't recommend capital punishment, but given the large time gap since the last execution and the comparative circumstances, I don't think they'd be as likely to make that recommendation.

Practicality aside, I don't think the death penalty does anything useful on principle. Even if the perpetrator is afraid of death, they get a relatively gentle death via lethal injection (the only legal method in NV). No one gets justice from that. A dead person cannot learn anything, suffer shame and embarrassment, or truly experience the consequences of their actions. Only a living person can do those things. Maybe these perpetrators feel no remorse, and maybe they won't actually learn their lesson by spending life in prison. However, they will know they're trapped forever, and that will be their reality until they die decades later. That is a fate worse than death itself.
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 09-17-23, 08:52 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 288 Posts
I live in Henderson, next to Las Vegas, and we didn't hear about this. My brother in CA asked me about it Sat. night and I didn't know what he was talking about.

Seems strange it wasn't played over and over on the local news.
Old 09-17-23, 10:39 PM
George Mann

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RetroGlide iE

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Desert Ryder
I live in Henderson, next to Las Vegas, and we didn't hear about this. My brother in CA asked me about it Sat. night and I didn't know what he was talking about.

Seems strange it wasn't played over and over on the local news.
I gather from your other posts on the matter that you and I have this whole thing figured out.

If only some things weren't too controversial to openly talk about.
Old 09-18-23, 06:30 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by JW Fas
I don't know how practical it would be. The last time Nevada executed a criminal was 2006, and that guy killed two people (one of whom he graped first). I'm not claiming a jury wouldn't recommend capital punishment, but given the large time gap since the last execution and the comparative circumstances, I don't think they'd be as likely to make that recommendation.

Practicality aside, I don't think the death penalty does anything useful on principle. Even if the perpetrator is afraid of death, they get a relatively gentle death via lethal injection (the only legal method in NV). No one gets justice from that. A dead person cannot learn anything, suffer shame and embarrassment, or truly experience the consequences of their actions. Only a living person can do those things. Maybe these perpetrators feel no remorse, and maybe they won't actually learn their lesson by spending life in prison. However, they will know they're trapped forever, and that will be their reality until they die decades later. That is a fate worse than death itself.
Make them rot in prison for a couple of decades and then execute them. Best of both worlds and they know it’s coming. Isn’t that what death row is like anyway?
Old 09-18-23, 06:55 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 227 Posts
There was another thread about this in the general cycling area but for some reason the thread has been closed. to further comments. Luckily, the driver was arrested that day. I only hope that he is prosecuted as an adult to the fullest extent of the Nevada law.

Two teenagers deliberately run over a cyclist and kill him - MarcaTV
Old 09-18-23, 08:55 PM
Rick

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 275 Posts

Our laws are intended to punish the criminal and protect us from their bad actions.
Feeding them until they drop dead punishes us. And most likely they would get out early and find someone else to Victimize. We do not need to be punished by spending large amounts of money being their caretakers either.

I say the death penalty has purpose in this case.
​​​​​​​
Old 09-19-23, 12:05 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
A senseless tragedy and to make it even worse, in some instances the mainstream media has been referring to it as simply a bike crash
Conspiracy theory busted:
https://www.reviewjournal.com/crime/...on-rj-2906223/
Old 09-19-23, 06:54 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
There was another thread about this in the general cycling area but for some reason the thread has been closed. to further comments.
I'm not sure how this is an A&S issue either.
Old 09-19-23, 07:17 AM
njkayaker

Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
I'm not sure how this is an A&S issue either.
If you have any non-cyclist friends who commute to work by car in a metropolitan area daily, ask them. You will be surprised. If they aren't straight up hating cyclists they are laughing out loud at the pointy helmets and matching leotards emblazoned with the logos of Italian dish soap companies. Those costumes tend to dehumanize cyclists mostly to non-cyclists who encounter said costumed cyclists on the roadways. Ask around.
Yes. It's clearly not an A&S issue since the cyclist wasn't wearing a "matching leotard" or a "pointy helmet".

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-19-23 at 07:21 AM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 09-19-23, 07:30 AM
Steel Charlie

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
https://www.yahoo.com/news/district-...190958398.html
Old 09-19-23, 07:58 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 791 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
Wow, this a separate issue where a teenager has been charged with hitting three cyclists in one night, killing one. Police will only say the boy is between 14 - 17 years old

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/teen-dr...ch-california/
The Las Vegas story has been getting a lot of coverage (and I have NOT seen any media describe this as a simple bike crash).

However, it does illustrate the power of video, because the other story (above quote box) hasn't been updated for at least five days and by all reports these were intentional acts of violence.

Old 09-20-23, 08:42 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
The fact that the perpetrators would video this, and distribute the video, shows that they are truly depraved.

iIt makes you wonder, what sort of families they were raised in, what sort of schools they attended.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 09-20-23, 11:07 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
There was another thread about this in the general cycling area but for some reason the thread has been closed. to further comments.
Probably because if the subject belongs anywhere, it's in A&S. Often times duplicate threads are merged, but it is not unheard of for a duplicate thread to be locked.
Old 09-20-23, 01:36 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
The 17 year old driver is being charged as an adult with murder and the person who filmed it will be as well. Both were bound over in juvenile court but the DA will move it to adult court. Don't plan on them being given the death penalty. The supreme court ruled out the death penalty for anyone under 18 even if being tried as adults. It's also not very effective as a punishment as it isn't carried out. I was an alternate juror on a particularly gruesome murder/sexual assault case in the mid to late 1980s here in Clark County. The murderer received the death penalty and it was upheld by the state supreme court. It is now nearly 40 years and the guy who committed the crime is beyond middle age but still alive. The best thing is that he will never see the light of day outside of prison. One thing in this case is that the victim was a retired policeman and his fellow officers would have gone to the end of the earth to eventually solve the case. I would be very surprised if they both don't spend the rest of their lives in prison for one stupid day on the road.
Old 09-20-23, 01:58 PM
njkayaker

Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
The reason is that these sorts of threads can lead to “heated” discussions.

The moderators have A&S (this subforum) and P&R as places for heated discussions. This lets them be contained and easily avoided by people who wish to do so.

(I think this is a reasonable policy.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.