Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Mechanical Discs

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Mechanical Discs

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-23, 06:29 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 129 Posts
Mechanical Discs

Anyone experienced problems braking in snowy conditions with mechanical disc brakes? I have a Salsa Fargo with TRP Spyre brakes and was thinking of putting some 2.6-3.0 studded tires for winter riding, but not sure how the brake (cables) will hold up if exposed to snow.
Old 07-28-23, 06:49 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 934 Posts
I've never experienced any braking issues with TRP Spyres, or indeed any braking system with temperatures down into the low teens. The only real potential issue I can think of would arise from water in the cable housing freezing and seizing up the cable inside.
Old 07-28-23, 07:05 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
The only real potential issue I can think of would arise from water in the cable housing freezing and seizing up the cable inside.
That’s specifically what I was thinking about. I rented a fatbike last year and came across a guy with this issue with mechanical discs.
Old 07-29-23, 12:08 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I've been using Avid BB7s on two of my bikes for the past 16 years. Cables can get a little tight if moisture gets in and starts to freeze but I never actually lost braking power. I keep the cables well lubed make it a habit to just squeeze brake levers regularly to keep them loose. The brake calipers itself should be rinsed with clean water after the winter season to get all the road salt out or else they can start to seize up and get very tight. Other than that I love mechanical brakes, simple and easy to set up and maintain. Never have to worry about brake bleeding or replacing leaking piston seals like I had to do on my shimano hydraulic brakes.
Old 07-30-23, 11:13 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by Noonievut
That’s specifically what I was thinking about. I rented a fatbike last year and came across a guy with this issue with mechanical discs.
Getting water into the cable housing is far more difficult than it sounds. It can happen as evidenced by corroded cables but it’s not highly likely. Even with corroded cables, the water is probably following some salt that gets past the ferrules and, being hygroscopic, the salt actually pulls small amounts of water out of the air. Flooding of enough water to freeze the cables is not all that likely.

I’ve used cable brakes of many different flavors…cantilever, linear, and disc…over more than 40 years of commuting and never had a brake of any kind freeze. Mechanical discs aren’t any more (or less) delicate than those other brakes.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-07-23, 12:25 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by Noonievut
Anyone experienced problems braking in snowy conditions with mechanical disc brakes? I have a Salsa Fargo with TRP Spyre brakes and was thinking of putting some 2.6-3.0 studded tires for winter riding, but not sure how the brake (cables) will hold up if exposed to snow.
you'll be fine

only winter cable issue I ever came across, was the rear derailer, on my commuter. I made the mistake of using a little water to clean the bike, after getting home, then left it outside overnight. by the next morning I couldn't shift. only discovered it, 1/2 mile from home, in the dark. PITA to disassemble it, clean out that little housing loop & put it all back together, roadside, in the dark, in very cold temps
Old 10-09-23, 03:18 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
I think it depends on the cable routing on your particular bike.

I have used my Masi for winter riding, with mechanical disks (Avid BB7s). I never had a problem with the cables freezing. BUT, the derailleur cables for the same bike are routed, bare, directly under the bottom bracket. So there have been quite a few times when I lost shifting owing to ice buildup on those cables.