Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Stationary roller trainer belt

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-23, 07:46 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts

Just a question about a replacement belt for a roller trainer. How do you measure the size needed? Is it the distance between the two roller spindles/axles? Or do I need to know the diameter/circumference of the belt? Does the size of the rollers come into account? Obviously I would measure the old, broken one…but it somehow disappeared before I could get the measurement.

Dan
Old 10-18-23, 12:59 PM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Just a question about a replacement belt for a roller trainer. How do you measure the size needed? Is it the distance between the two roller spindles/axles? Or do I need to know the diameter/circumference of the belt? Does the size of the rollers come into account? Obviously I would measure the old, broken one…but it somehow disappeared before I could get the measurement.

Dan
Are the rollers still being made? If so call the manufacturer. I had a pair of Performance rollers and got a replacement belt a couple of years ago. It would take some time to track down the info…Maybe a string around the belt groove and note where it meets?
Old 10-18-23, 02:29 PM
brian416
Roadie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I would think most belts are around the same size to accommodate typical bike wheel bases. Insideride sells belts that are stretchy and will likely work on whatever you have
Old 10-18-23, 03:13 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Apparently rollers are still being made. When I first began my search, the roller trainers that came up looked rather new. And I came across belt suppliers…but I want to make sure how to measure the size. I’m setting up my roller trainer with my commuter mixte frame to provide PT as I recover from knee replacement surgery Monday (23 Oct).

Dan
Old 10-22-23, 03:03 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
Are you referring to rollers, the type that have 3 drums from 2.25 to 4.5" diameter and around 15" wide mounted on a two rail frame ? I've never heard of them referred to as "stationary rollers", if that's what you're referring to, just "rollers".

If this is what you are referencing, Kreitler is as good of source as any. The belts are not length dependent as they're very stretchy, but they distinguished by roller diameters and in Kreitlers case, modern and vintage rollers in which the vintage uses a slightly thinner belt than the modern. Since you don't have the old belt I'd measure the groove for width and depth, then contact Kreitler and they'd be able to tell you what may fit the groove of your particular rollers, even though they are not Kreitler brand. I assume the rollers you have are older, likely a single groove, and I'm guessing offhand that the thinner belt for vintage rollers would be fine, but that's a guess. I'd ask first !

https://www.kreitler.com/spareparts