Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

What does this mean?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

What does this mean?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-23, 04:30 PM
Mikeadoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What does this mean?

Hello, Ive been shopping around for clothing to ride in the winter and a trek chat person recommended the following.
" Gore and 45nrth with wool base layer and pogies is what i would recommend for those temp and wind."

Problem is I have no idea what "Gore and 45nrth or a pogie" is. I have been riding my entire life due to epilepsy, and ive always just worn whatever i had and froze my butt off. It's SUPER uncomfortable.

Can anyone help me understand what that Trek person was saying? He sent that message and then closed the chat, so I didnt get a chance to ask him myself

Thanks!
Old 11-28-23, 04:39 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 3,752 Times in 1,841 Posts
Gore = I would assume is Gortex waterproof and windproof fabric. For a jacket/top layer I would guess
assuming wool base layer is self explanatory? Merino is popular around this forum
45nrth is a brand that makes Pogies
I will let you do some of the work yourself, you can google Pogies

good luck
Old 11-28-23, 05:00 PM
Mikeadoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you SoCaled. I was a little confused about Gore but that makes sense now. Yes I knew what wool base layer was. Just never heard Goretex refered to as Gore before. Also never heard of pogies or the 45nrth brand.

Thanks again!
Happy riding!
Old 11-28-23, 07:37 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
there are a lot of different gore-tex fabrics now. from super light weight to heavy. ones that block the wind and breathe better ones that are much more water proof then others or a mix. like gore active gore pac lite to gore adventure and several others.
Old 11-28-23, 08:53 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Gore and Goretex are not the same thing. Gore is a company that developed Goretex, makes many Goretex clothing items but also make non-Goretex clothing. (A long time ago I bought some Gore bib tights. Super spring and fall dry riding but not Goretex at all! Wonderfully comfortable and very well made.)

I have a pair of 45nrth cycling boots; the ones rated for 25F. Excellent in just about anything down to that temp. Completely immune to wet. (I'm long, skinny and getting older. I'd want the next warmer boots to go colder.)

Pogies are mittens or gloves that are wedded to the handlebars. You put them on the bars for the duration and simply put your bare hands in them and ride. Very warm. You get to have bare hands while riding to reach into pockets. I've never used them but others swear by them.

I gravitated to buckskin "chopper mitts" and wool liner mittens 50 years ago; long before the first pogies. Still use them. (Google "chopper mitts".) If you ride dropped handlebars, buy them very big so you can keep most of your summer hand positions. The wonderful leather will give you hand positions that don't work any other time so winter riding is different but not worse. They also go on and off easily. On quiet roads, not hard to pull one off to get a snack out of your pocket while riding. SnoSeal leather dressing will keep them in fine shape near forever. (I treat them once a year in early fall. Put 'em in a warm place. Ready to go another year when it's cold.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 11-30-23, 12:45 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
Pogies are either the same thing or similar to "barmitts" do a search in the winter forum, there are several threads about barmitts
Old 11-30-23, 01:09 PM
Mikeadoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Gore and Goretex are not the same thing. Gore is a company that developed Goretex, makes many Goretex clothing items but also make non-Goretex clothing. (A long time ago I bought some Gore bib tights. Super spring and fall dry riding but not Goretex at all! Wonderfully comfortable and very well made.)

I have a pair of 45nrth cycling boots; the ones rated for 25F. Excellent in just about anything down to that temp. Completely immune to wet. (I'm long, skinny and getting older. I'd want the next warmer boots to go colder.)

Pogies are mittens or gloves that are wedded to the handlebars. You put them on the bars for the duration and simply put your bare hands in them and ride. Very warm. You get to have bare hands while riding to reach into pockets. I've never used them but others swear by them.

I gravitated to buckskin "chopper mitts" and wool liner mittens 50 years ago; long before the first pogies. Still use them. (Google "chopper mitts".) If you ride dropped handlebars, buy them very big so you can keep most of your summer hand positions. The wonderful leather will give you hand positions that don't work any other time so winter riding is different but not worse. They also go on and off easily. On quiet roads, not hard to pull one off to get a snack out of your pocket while riding. SnoSeal leather dressing will keep them in fine shape near forever. (I treat them once a year in early fall. Put 'em in a warm place. Ready to go another year when it's cold.)
Thanks for the info guys. I'll definitely be checking these out.

Appreciate the help.