Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Rim Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-16, 05:47 AM
rodscot

Bikes: Diamondback Topanga, Scott CX Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Rim Cleaner

I need to clean my wheel rims but don't have any surgical spirits kicking around. Will white spirit and the finest grade steel wool be ok?
Old 12-02-16, 07:30 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 411 Posts
Don't know your rim material of what is on them so this is all I can say if they are aluminum of older chromed steel and not carbon. If I remember my time in Australia white spirit is srtong stuff for hands and lungs so cautions like gloves, don't breath fumes, etc.
Surgical would do the job, perhaps slowly but be safer. Steel wool #0000 we use over here will work on minor rust and polish up the rims.
I use surgical frequently on my aluminum rims to keep them looking good and the brake track clean. I use Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish and Simichrome for chrome to remove any stains and polish.
My MTB rims get really ugly and I would use soap and water followed by Mothers, no spirits or wool.
Old 12-02-16, 07:39 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by rodscot
I need to clean my wheel rims but don't have any surgical spirits kicking around. Will white spirit and the finest grade steel wool be ok?
Ah yes, 2 cultures separated by a common language

After a bit of translating, white spirits will work just fine as long as it doesn't have anything else in it. Be a bit more careful about getting it on the tires, however. A small amount won't cause damage to the rubber but if you were to flood the tires with it, you could do a minor amount of damage. In particular, you might remove any UV protectorant that is on the tires.

Skip the steel wool with either solvent if you have aluminum rims. It's just not needed.

So that others won't have to do the translating, "surgical spirits" is know as denatured alcohol on this side of the pond. White spirits is the same thing as mineral spirits (and all the other names it's known by over here).
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-02-16, 07:44 AM
rodscot

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Ooops, I failed to realise that those terms weren't universal. Sorry about that.

Thanks, guys. I tried to check the rim material but couldn't come up with anything online. As far as I can tell, it is aluminium. I'll give the white spirit a go then....... and be careful!
Old 12-02-16, 07:53 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Ooops, I failed to realise that those terms weren't universal. Sorry about that.
No problem. I've worked with enough bloody damn Englishmen chemists over the years that I'm quite fluent in both conversational "English" and technical "English"...although I won't say "aluminium". I do call everyone "useless lazy gits", however
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-02-16, 08:12 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts

Thanks, guys. I tried to check the rim material but couldn't come up with anything online. As far as I can tell, it is aluminium. I'll give the white spirit a go then....... and be careful!
I like dish soap and an old toothbrush. Plus a good rinse after. Be sure to pick out grit from the brake pads as well.
Old 12-02-16, 08:49 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
White spirits (aka mineral spirits on this side of the pond) will leave a bit of oily residue after it "drys". Surgical spirits (denatured alcohol) will evaporate more cleanly and is better as a rim cleaner.

My favorite rim cleaner is acetone. It is reasonably low in toxicity (use it outdoors anyway), evaporates completely and won't hurt the rims. I fully agree that steel wool is unnecessary and can be harmful to aluminum rims.
Old 12-02-16, 08:51 AM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
If you're looking to clean the brake track, you don't really need to use anything but soap and water (for dirt), and a flexible abrasive for the track itself, if there are stubborn spots.

In the USA, they are sold under the name SandFlex--you would want a fine grit version; it's best to think of them as an eraser with grit in them. You can usually find them in [very] well stocked woodworking supply houses, sometimes in model train/hobby stores (for cleaning tracks). If that fails, you can always buy the horrendously over-priced rebrands that Hozan or Mavic sell.
Old 12-02-16, 09:04 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Originally Posted by wschruba
If you're looking to clean the brake track, you don't really need to use anything but soap and water (for dirt), and a flexible abrasive for the track itself, if there are stubborn spots.

In the USA, they are sold under the name SandFlex--you would want a fine grit version; it's best to think of them as an eraser with grit in them. You can usually find them in [very] well stocked woodworking supply houses, sometimes in model train/hobby stores (for cleaning tracks). If that fails, you can always buy the horrendously over-priced rebrands that Hozan or Mavic sell.
Scotchbrite pads work well and are both cheap and available in almost any hardware, home store or even super markets. Use the fine grit version.
Old 12-02-16, 09:19 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute

So that others won't have to do the translating, "surgical spirits" is know as denatured alcohol on this side of the pond. White spirits is the same thing as mineral spirits (and all the other names it's known by over here).
So what may I ask is Isopropyl alcohol (aka rubbing alcohol) and how does this compare to "surgical spirits / denatured alcohol" for rim cleaning? This link seems to contradict some of the above.. per this page "denatured alcohol" is a form of ethanol, aka Methylated Spirits. and rubbing alcohol (Isopropyl alcohol) is a "surgical spirit"?

Denatured Alcohol vs. Rubbing Alcohol
Old 12-02-16, 09:44 AM
rodscot

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I actually think I have some Scotchbrite pads under the kitchen sink!. That's helpful. I must check my wife too. IN case she has surgical spirits kicking around for some of her needs.
Old 12-02-16, 09:50 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
Rubbing alcohol will work fine. Gets gunk off and doesn't leave a residue. I would not use an abrasive such as steel wool, Brillo pads or Scotchbrite pads. They will scratch aluminum and heaven knows what they do to carbon. If you have burned on rubber on the rim, use a plastic scraper on those areas followed by rubbing alcohol again.

Last edited by drlogik; 12-02-16 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-02-16, 09:55 AM
HillRider

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
So what may I ask is Isopropyl alcohol (aka rubbing alcohol) and how does this compare to "surgical spirits / denatured alcohol" for rim cleaning? This link seems to contradict some of the above.. per this page "denatured alcohol" is a form of ethanol, aka Methylated Spirits. and rubbing alcohol (Isopropyl alcohol) is a "surgical spirit"?
I gather "surgical spirits" is indeed isopropyl alcohol as that is what most doctor's use as a topical antiseptic to swab the area before giving an injection.

"Denatured Alcohol" is ethanol with any of a number of added items to make it non-drinkable. "Fully denatured alcohol" contains methanol and a few other things so it can't be purified into potable ethanol in any practical way.

Ethanol and Isopropanol are chemical close cousins and, as cleaners, work equally well. Just don't use isopropanol in your martini.
Old 12-02-16, 10:34 AM
Metaluna

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
I'll add that if the rim has any fancy labels that you want to keep intact, be a little careful with the aggressive solvents and scouring pads. I don't think anything mentioned here so far would be a problem, except maybe acetone, but some rims have crap labels (Velocity) that are pretty easy to mess up. Then again Velocity labels are usually so tacky looking that it's probably desirable to remove them anyway.
Old 12-02-16, 10:35 AM
rodscot

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
I gather "surgical spirits" is indeed isopropyl alcohol as that is what most doctor's use as a topical antiseptic to swab the area before giving an injection.

"Denatured Alcohol" is ethanol with any of a number of added items to make it non-drinkable. "Fully denatured alcohol" contains methanol and a few other things so it can't be purified into potable ethanol in any practical way.

Ethanol and Isopropanol are chemical close cousins and, as cleaners, work equally well. Just don't use isopropanol in your martini.
Ok, so I have methylated spirits which I believe is 'denatured alcohol'. This should do then?
Old 12-02-16, 11:09 AM
HillRider

Ok, so I have methylated spirits which I believe is 'denatured alcohol'. This should do then?
Yes, it is fine.
Old 12-02-16, 11:46 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Wouldn't be putting any of the 'spirits' mentioned in this post intentionally near a bike, IPA is the only thing listed which has any real use as a cleaner, but it's not great for rims.

There are products made specifically to clean rims like this Chain Reaction Cycles | MTB | Road | TRI | Run (I know this is OOS), or you can go to a hardware store, and buy a generic very cheaply like this https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/abra...90?brandId=514 These do the job quickly, safely, and with no liquid mess.
Old 12-02-16, 12:55 PM
rodscot

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
That's interesting. Those blocks look like something a painter once left lying around my son's house. I have no idea what I did with it tho.
Old 12-02-16, 12:59 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Scotchbrite pads work well and are both cheap and available in almost any hardware, home store or even super markets. Use the fine grit version.

+1

Fine sandpaper helps with gouges, too...
Old 12-02-16, 01:07 PM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Ah yes, 2 cultures separated by a common language

So denatured alcohol is isopropyl alcohol?
And White spirits is what we call mineral turps down here? 3 cultures
I use an aluminium cleaner on brushed aluminium rims, but only when the tires are off. It finely etches the metal, strips off all shiny surfaces. The type with a tad of Hydrofluoric Acid, so you have to wear gloves and eye protection. Septone Ali Brite Aluminium Cleaner - 1 Litre - Supercheap Auto

Last edited by coominya; 12-02-16 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-02-16, 01:28 PM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
600 wet sandpaper. Finish wifh soap and water. Just that easy.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 12-02-16, 01:38 PM
sch

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Denatured alcohol is always adulterated ethanol, another name is ruined high proof vodka. It is 'denatured' with toxins, usually methanol or
wood alcohol, hence the name methylated spirits. Isopropyl alcohol, also called isopropanol, is sold unmixed or 'un-denatured' as it is somewhat
toxic by itself and not regarded by the feds as drinkable, and hence not taxed separately as are alcoholic drinks which are all flavored ethanol
in concentrations under 60% (except "grain' alcohol which is ~95%). Rubbing alcohol can be either isopropyl or denatured ethanol but is usually isopropyl.
From a solvent/fuel pov they are the same.
Old 12-02-16, 02:23 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
This is basically the process I follow.. works for me.
How to Clean Aluminum Bicycle Wheels | LIVESTRONG.COM
Old 12-02-16, 04:10 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Most of the time, I just use a damp paper towel to wipe off the rims and brake pads. A "squeaky clean" can be annoying until the rims get a little dirty again.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 12-02-16, 04:23 PM
FullGas

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
damp green scotchbrite pad works fine on alum brake tracks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.