Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Anything special to go on pedal threads?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-16, 09:02 PM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Putting pedals on a new bike. Is there any best practice to doing so? Anti-seize compound, drop of oil, don't worry and just screw it in dry, etc. I'll be changing pedals again in the spring-this isn't a 'leave them in for years' situation. So I'd like to make any future maintenance as easy as possible.

Bike is in the PNW, and I live in a rainforest if that makes any difference. 1/2"-1" of rain a day is completely normal. So a very wet environment, and I hope to be exploring forest service/logging roads without much time on the clean environment of pavement. Not sure if that effects anything.

edit: And yes I know that the non-drive side crank arm is reverse threaded.

Last edited by Sullalto; 12-09-16 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-09-16, 09:10 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,878 Times in 2,315 Posts
So the big deal is to keep the threads from freezing up, from age or corrosion. Just about any preventative approach will work. Frequent loosening the tightening, grease before install, oil same, anti seize too. Andy
Old 12-09-16, 10:19 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I use Tef-Gel TEF-GEL - Ultra safety systems - Home page on all dissimilar metal joints to help avoid electrolytic corrosion and seizing. I also fit stainless steel pedal washers as an additional seizing precaution and to avoid marring the cranks' mounting surfaces.
Old 12-09-16, 11:54 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by Sullalto

Bike is in the PNW, and I live in a rainforest if that makes any difference. 1/2"-1" of rain a day is completely normal. So a very wet environment, and I hope to be exploring forest service/logging roads without much time on the clean environment of pavement. Not sure if that effects anything.
...I would use whatever anti seize is appropriate for the materials. If you have a steel pedal spindle threading into an alloy crank, a standard zinc compound will do it. If you're involved in more exotic materials like Ti in the spindles, or CF Crank arms (those will have some sort of metal insert at the pedal eye) you need to up your game a little bit.

If you're gonna be changing them out that regularly, you can probably get away with grease. But you'll be kicking yourself if one of them does seize up a little and strip some of the threading out of the crank arm.
Old 12-10-16, 12:11 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,586 Times in 1,434 Posts
Grease, any kind, aka whatever is most at hand. If you don' have grease, use oil, any oil, including suntan oil will do this job.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-10-16, 01:00 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Copper grease, or some other anti-seize compound. Works best in the long run, no need to loosen pedals until you need to change them. And they won't seize.
Old 12-10-16, 04:19 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rivendell recommends beeswax on any thread that doesn't have anything else on it.

beeswax is actually one of the most stable organics on the planet.

man-made lubricants will eventually decompose to wax + acid - Naphtha-base is the Worst - automotive grease - it decomposes to naphthenic acid.
Lithium is added to lubricants to protect bearing steel from naphthenic acid corrosion/cracking, but with moisture, the lithium will also corrode aluminum.

I repair OPs 70-, 80-, 90-y-o valuable fly reels, and see (and smell) the worst of it.

the white chalk on the outside of this alloy bronzed finish reel is active corrosion from decomposition of naphtha grease used inside the reel (80 years ago)

it used to look like this, same age and finish (same maker) but no automotive grease

Last edited by bulldog1935; 12-10-16 at 05:06 AM.
Old 12-10-16, 09:27 AM
Bike tinker man

Bikes: My 1978 Raleigh from new, 1995 Trek, & constant changing & rebuilding of other bike projects.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Slaninar
Copper grease, or some other anti-seize compound. Works best in the long run, no need to loosen pedals until you need to change them. And they won't seize.

Fully agree I always use copper coat grease in these locations, marine standard, never need to keep on checking if its seized, lasts forever. Its what you use on bolts to stop them seizing, its therefore not a moving part lubricate like for bearings.
Old 12-10-16, 09:46 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Grease, any kind, aka whatever is most at hand. If you don' have grease, use oil, any oil, including suntan oil will do this job.
Perhaps not any kind of oil or grease. Petroleum based oils have a bit more permanence and stability over vegetable and animal based oils and greases. Both vegetable and animal greases are reactive while petroleum based oils have had the reactiveness cooked out of them either by millennia of being cooked underground or by the distillation process.

Vegetable and animal greases need the reactiveness so that they can be broken down and digested...the circle of life thing.

And suntan oil will work for a while but not too long. In a wet environment, the pedals will quickly seize as the lubricant is washed out.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-10-16, 10:05 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by bulldog1935
man-made lubricants will eventually decompose to wax + acid - Naphtha-base is the Worst - automotive grease - it decomposes to naphthenic acid.
Lithium is added to lubricants to protect bearing steel from naphthenic acid corrosion/cracking, but with moisture, the lithium will also corrode aluminum.
Would you please detail the chemistry involved in your assertions. They make no sense otherwise.
Old 12-10-16, 10:32 AM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have a big jar of Anti-Seize compound that I've used for years on automotive and bike repairs. Just don't get it on your clothing...
Old 12-10-16, 10:54 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Don't overly tighten the pedals. Get them snug and they will add some on their own.
Old 12-10-16, 12:12 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1371 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 279 Posts
Use grease on the threads. The same grease you should use on hubs, seatposts, headsets etc.: petroleum-based auto wheel bearing grease. A one-pound tub will cost you $5, and last for years. Or you can buy the same formulation in little tubes at a bike shop for $5 per ounce.

You can buy new-agey, warm and fuzzy 'bio-based' or 'green' lubes, but ones we tried in our shop are useless. This is coming from a chemist..

A little smear of grease will protect the pedal threads for years or decades. You will have to grease more frequently if you play salt-water bike polo, or if you carry your bike on a car rack and drive at highway speeds in the rain, or use a water pressure-washer to clean your bike.

In those cases, you have far more problems, in that every bearing on your bike will have to be overhauled on a frequent basis.
Old 12-10-16, 12:33 PM
FullGas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
a tiny dab of Phil's green grease and I've never had a pedal be difficult to remove.
Old 12-10-16, 01:57 PM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Metallurgist and licensed professional corrosion engineer here.
Old 12-10-16, 02:05 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

And I agree. However, copper grease has worked perfectly for me, even after several autumn rains, then salty roads, then sun again - no bolt has seized with it. The grease part is quickly washed off, but a thin layer of (soft) copper remains, which enables screws to be unscrewed easily, without sticking. Even in case of steel-aluminium connections, where, without it they would become welded together after a while (galvanic corrosion).
Old 12-10-16, 02:39 PM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
didn't dis you at all - marine anti-sieze is a good choice.

But galvanic corrosion doesn't occur between aluminum and steel - the EMF difference between the two is not great enough.
The white chalk that forms on seatposts and stems is just because there is a crevice with water in it - it has nothing to do with the steel.
Old 12-10-16, 04:17 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

I didn't ask about your credentials, I asked for an explanation of the chemistry you proposed. You may be a metallurgist but your chemistry is truly puzzling.

Where does Naphthenic Acid originate from a petroleum based grease? Also, lithium is used as a saponification agent in grease to give oil body and viscosity, not as a neutralizing agent.
Old 12-10-16, 04:33 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,586 Times in 1,434 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Perhaps not any kind of oil or grease. Petroleum based oils have a bit more permanence and stability over vegetable and animal based oils and greases. Both vegetable and animal greases are reactive while petroleum based oils have had the reactiveness cooked out of them either by millennia of being cooked underground or by the distillation process.

Vegetable and animal greases need the reactiveness so that they can be broken down and digested...the circle of life thing.

And suntan oil will work for a while but not too long. In a wet environment, the pedals will quickly seize as the lubricant is washed out.
No dispute with anything here.

But the OP specifically asked for a short interim solution, with a projected life of six months or so. Had he simply asked what's best, or longest lasting, my answer would have been different.

Then again, grease threads are like chain lube threads, and we've had plenty.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-10-16, 04:57 PM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
I didn't ask about your credentials, I asked for an explanation of the chemistry you proposed. You may be a metallurgist but your chemistry is truly puzzling.

Where does Naphthenic Acid originate from a petroleum based grease? Also, lithium is used as a saponification agent in grease to give oil body and viscosity, not as a neutralizing agent.
I actually wasn't talking to you, and don't appreciate being called out. I'll block you next time. When you oxidize the lubricant it forms acid COOH. The lithium can hydrolize and attack aluminum.
Hardening of grease is one weather-aging effect. file:///C:/Users/Administrator/Downloads/lubricants-03-00197.pdf

Automotive grease forms bricks of wax in the antique fishing reels I see.
Old 12-10-16, 05:07 PM
HillRider

I actually wasn't talking to you, and don't appreciate being called out. I'll block you next time.
It sounded very much like you were replying to my question and I wasn't "calling you out". I just wanted an explanation. Most oils used in grease formulations are aliphatic, not aromatic, so "Naphthenic Acid" isn't an issue. Grease may harden over a long period, mostly by slow evaporation of the oil content. I've seen hub bearings where this has happened but the races and bearings weren't corroded, just not adequately lubricated.

That said, please do block me. No loss.
Old 12-10-16, 05:15 PM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Then again, grease threads are like chain lube threads, and we've had plenty.
Everyone will have their pet formulas and algorithms. Simply installing cranks and what to grease is a Navy Tin Can of worms.
Jan Heine and I are at exact opposite about which you grease and don't, and especially why.
Pseudo science is pretty thick in bike shop literature.
Not trying to sidetrack the thread, but to agree with you.
Look at the tire installation thread.

Last edited by bulldog1935; 12-11-16 at 01:45 AM.
Old 12-11-16, 01:11 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

didn't dis you at all - marine anti-sieze is a good choice.

But galvanic corrosion doesn't occur between aluminum and steel - the EMF difference between the two is not great enough.
The white chalk that forms on seatposts and stems is just because there is a crevice with water in it - it has nothing to do with the steel.
Yup. For all I know stainless steel is quite resistant to starting galvanic corrosion with aluminium. It's the (salty?) water that makes the things go bad, am I right?
Old 12-11-16, 01:13 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
exactly
Old 12-11-16, 06:55 AM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
The Original...accept no alternatives

[IMG] [/IMG]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.