Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Cannondale Topstone Shimano 105 front derailleur cable routing issue

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-20, 07:32 AM
jollycycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

I've got a new Cannondale Topstone Carbon 105. During shifting the front derailleur shift cable jumps off the cable routing at the derailleur. This happens during shift to the smaller gearwheel. I can't link the video as I am a new member.

This causes the cable to loose a friction of tension and the derailleur's inner plate get's in contact with the chain.

Is this a normal behavior? I don't think so. Any other Topstone drivers having this issue?

Thanks

Cheers

Julian
Old 07-20-20, 07:39 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,090 Times in 1,183 Posts
If it's new, take it back to the shop. Sounds like the cable is installed incorrectly. I have an aluminum Topstone and do not have this problem.
Old 07-20-20, 09:16 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,496 Times in 4,192 Posts
Not only isnt that normal, I dont actually understand the issue its so far from normal. The cable should never jump of of its routing at any point.
Hope its a quick fix!
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-20-20, 09:29 AM
jollycycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank You for your comments. I really would like to show you the video clip of the cable slipping sideways. But I can’t ’cause I am new here. Can I PM the link to someone posting it for me? Thank you. I appreciate your help.

Edit/PS: can‘t return it to the dealer quickly as it was shipped.

Last edited by jollycycle; 07-20-20 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-20-20, 09:59 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by jollycycle
Thank You for your comments. I really would like to show you the video clip of the cable slipping sideways. But I can’t ’cause I am new here. Can I PM the link to someone posting it for me? Thank you. I appreciate your help.

Edit/PS: can‘t return it to the dealer quickly as it was shipped.
I don't think you can PM till 10 posts either.

It's the Shimano 105 front derailer (series 7000). Do a YouTube search for installation and service. You'll need a metric Allen key set - I think it's a 5mm, might be a 4. Shimano also has the dealer service instructions on their website, that'll show you how the cable is supposed to be installed. Or take it to any local shop, they will probably work on it, but there's often a huge wait currently do too CV.
Old 07-20-20, 10:11 AM
jollycycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks.

i‘ve already taken it to a local store. The said the design causes the slip off. Because the carbon frame has the cable hole further to the rear. That causes the cable to run angled into the derailleur. That‘s the same the dealer told me on the phone. However this always causes the bandwidth to be shifted cause the cable has a longer distance to travel when slipped off. I can hardly believe that‘s normal. If it is the case - it‘s a clear and serious design error by Cannondale.
Old 07-20-20, 10:12 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,496 Times in 4,192 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I don't think you can PM till 10 posts either.

It's the Shimano 105 front derailer (series 7000). Do a YouTube search for installation and service. You'll need a metric Allen key set - I think it's a 5mm, might be a 4. Shimano also has the dealer service instructions on their website, that'll show you how the cable is supposed to be installed. Or take it to any local shop, they will probably work on it, but there's often a huge wait currently do too CV.
All this for sure. A 7000 FD isnt confusing once you watch a couple youyube videos. It sounds like it cant get much worse than it is, so there may not be anything to lose in trying yourself. Worst case- you try to fix it and have to take it to a shop...which is what you would have to do anyways if you dont try to fix it on your own.

Any shop can work on this, its effectively a universal component since it is on many bikes in every shop(in 105 or Ultegra level).
Old 07-20-20, 10:20 AM
jollycycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It‘s not about adjusting the Derailleur in general. It‘s about the cable routing arriving angled at the Derailleur causing an offset. I have bern to a local shop with it.
Old 07-20-20, 01:18 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by jollycycle
It‘s not about adjusting the Derailleur in general. It‘s about the cable routing arriving angled at the Derailleur causing an offset. I have bern to a local shop with it.
There’s a FaceTime group for Cannondale Topstone that has many owners of the carbon model. I’ve never read of this problem in the 8 mos. I’ve been a member. You can join that group and ask there, as well the will accept photos, so take some good ones of what you think is the issue.

And not for nothing, have you contacted Cannondale or the original dealer ?
Old 07-21-20, 03:10 AM
jollycycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanx Steve. I‘ve joined the Facebook group

yeah I‘ve contacted the original dealer. He said it‘s just the way Cannondale builds this bike. Not sticking 100% to the Shimano rules as the cable does arrive angled at the Derailleur.

I‘ve tried to contact Cannondale. They don‘t have an office in Germany and are not very responsive at the European office. If I can‘t find a solution I will contact Cannondale USA.