Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Down to 8 miles, and scared

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-16, 06:31 PM
jeneralist 

Bikes: DOST Kope CVT e-bike; Bilenky Ti Tourlite

Liked 69 Times in 25 Posts

Hey all --

Those who started on this forum in the last year or two may not recognize me. I started riding in 2009, started posting in 2010, dropped 65+ pounds, and worked my way up from sucking wind on a flat 8 mile commute to doing centuries and building my vacations around touring.

Something happened one day at the end of December. I was at work, doing my normal work-day thing, and in the course of a few hours both of my knees -- my strong and steady adventure companions to that point -- both swelled up and made it clear they Did Not Want To Bend. Sitting down? A problem. Getting up again? A really big problem. Walking gave me an ache, and stairs became mountains, traversed one leg at a time, toddler-style.

I've seen my doctor and I'm going to physical therapy. The diagnosis I'm getting is that I've got a bit of arthritis in the knees -- normally not too big a problem -- but with enough swelling and inflammation that my quads are going on strike. Quads are important to stabilize the kneecap, and, of course, to pedal the bike!

So I'm taking my anti-inflammatory medicine and doing my PT exercises and icing my knees and all that good stuff. The time I've been feeling my best has been when I've been on a stationary bike, either at the PT office or at home. So today, after getting clearance, I decided to try a bike commute. Of course, I didn't dare commute *to* work -- what if my knees gave out and I couldn't walk? Instead, I took the bike with me on the train into downtown, and rode 8 miles along flat, riverside multi-use pathways home.

The good news is, I was out in the springtime. The cherry and magnolia trees were blooming; rowers were out on the river; and all in all it was a great day to be on the bike.

The bad news? Every little rise felt like a huge hill. I had to use my granny gears on what I think of as little rises in the path -- I made sure my route avoided real hills as much as possible. I got home, I iced my knees, I took a nap -- and now, I need to use my arms to push myself out of a chair. I'll feel somewhat better tomorrow, I expect, but I'm a long way from right.

I feel like I'm back to where I was 6 years ago, but now I'm afraid I'm losing the strength and the resilience I had back then that let me become a long-distance hill-climbing 'Theena.

Words of encouragement welcomed!
Old 03-26-16, 06:38 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Liked 1,254 Times in 630 Posts
Stay in the granny gear most of the time.

Old 03-26-16, 07:00 PM
Johnny Mullet
That Huffy Guy

Bikes: Old School Huffy Bikes

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Slow and steady wins the race! Hope you have a full recovery in a short period of time.
Old 03-26-16, 07:17 PM
skidder

Bikes: Yes

Liked 1,553 Times in 1,057 Posts
Would changing the type of bicycle you ride help? I'm assume have a drop-bar-type bicycle, how about changing to a more upright style. Try and find a cheap used beach cruiser and see if that helps; if it does, then you might want to invest in a good multigeared cruiser or fitness bicycle. Just a suggestion . . .

Edit: Also try a lower gear so you're 'spinning' rather than 'mashing'. That'll help reduce forces on your knees/legs.

Last edited by skidder; 03-27-16 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-26-16, 07:46 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jeneralist
..... I started riding in 2009, started posting in 2010, dropped 65+ pounds, and worked my way up from sucking wind on a flat 8 mile commute to doing centuries and building my vacations around touring.

Something happened one day at the end of December.......I feel like I'm back to where I was 6 years ago,

Since this was posted in Clydesdale's/Athena's..... I will assume that means your struggle with weight control continues?

I know my struggle with weight continues. We ALL have our demons. Some of us battle the demons till the day we die... some just give up and just let the demons kill us off. The other day I found myself clawing at my shirt pocket.... and I haven't smoked for several years. The addictive behavior isn't just a choice... it's encoded in our DNA. Humans are among the mammals that crave.

As cyclists... we are so lucky to have a passion and a sport that by itself can serve as a reminder for us to get and/or keep our body in shape.

You are so very lucky all you suffered was swollen knees instead of..... something more permanently disabling. Spring is here! It won't take long to get yourself back to where you were. You have not stood still... no time has been wasted. You'll be fine. Find a new diet (a healthy one) and get back into shape.
Old 03-27-16, 06:15 AM
BigMo59

Bikes: 2014 Trek Shift 4, 2015 Surly Disc Trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an over extended ACL according to the ortho doc. He told me that swimming was the best therapy and bicycling was second best to relieve the knee of inflammation. So it sounds like your doing the right things. Keep after it and it will get better!
Old 03-27-16, 06:21 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BigMo59
.... the ortho doc.... told me that swimming was the best therapy ...
I once had a Doctor suggest swimming for therapy. I thought about it and took it as a recommendation to take up water sports. By the time I arrived home.... I told my wife that I thought the Doctor was hinting that I should buy a boat.
Old 03-27-16, 06:44 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts

Listen to your body, it' a pretty smart machine. Nothing wrong with changing your approach to fitness. This seems like the second post I've made on this subject in so many days, but: To address my wife's knee problems she rode a crank forward bike. I've ridden the bike on a few 30m roundtrips and it's true most of the stress seems to be upper quad and core. (and seat). Lots of fun, though not that great for climbing hills.

Personally, I think the best argument for owning a few different different geo bikes is to avoid overusing the same muscles and joints. So, n+1 baby.
Old 03-27-16, 07:35 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Liked 1,684 Times in 962 Posts
If you have to eventually look to knee replacement surgery, it's come a long way. My brother had replacement surgery a year ago and he's hiking and biking really well with little pain and no complications.
Old 03-27-16, 12:56 PM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Try various things to see what works for you!

i have a fused RH ankle and some soreness (arthritis??) in my RH knee, but yet I can do a tour in Australia of 2600 km in a month! Mind you when my body says: STOP and REST! I do so. But then continue the next day until another "message".

I am almost 68 y.o and have been an insulin dependent diabetic since 1964. Hey, those numbers are correct! My body talks to me and I listen! So far, so good!

Listen
to your body and try different "things". But listen...
Old 03-27-16, 05:11 PM
jeneralist 

Thanks for the kind words. Dave, so far I haven't regained more than my usual winter; but now that spring is coming, I really want to find a way to keep moving. I'm afraid that if I don't stay active, not only will my knees never talk to me again, but I'll also balloon up larger than I was to start with.

FrenchFit, I gotta say that the n+1 answer is making me smile. In my living room right now I'm looking at my "city"/hybrid style bike -- currently on a stand so I can use it as a stationary; my touring bike, again with a more upright riding posture; my husband's sport hybrid; and his titanium drop-bar machine. We're also keeping a hybrid handy for a friend when she comes to visit -- so that's 5 bikes in my living room right now. There's room for a 6th...

Deal4Fuji, I've got a ways to go, I think, before we're talking joint replacement. But it's good to know that they're getting better with that.
Tmac, you're giving me hope. Thank you.
Old 03-27-16, 06:50 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
Jeneralist I hope you find a combination that works for you and gets you back on the bike. It sounds like riding 8 miles on the path did you some good.
Old 03-27-16, 07:27 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Have you had your knees x-ray and MRI'd?

My story: about 10 years ago I went to a doctor about my knees, I couldn't run and walking or stairs were painful, this doctor said that I had arthritis. My spouse told me to a friend for a recommendation for a different doctor, he was an orthopedic oncologist. He recommended the doctor that worked on his knees. When I saw this orthopedist I got an x-ray before seeing anyone. He saw a shadow on the x-ray, then he had me get an MRI. He found a bone spur in my knee from the arthritis. I had the bone spur removed and the knee flushed out and it still feels good.

So make sure you are seeing a orthopedist.

Good luck, hope you get back to where you were soon.
Old 03-27-16, 07:51 PM
Hot Potato

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, cycling is generally kind on knees and good for rehab - once things have calmed down. Cycling circulates joint fluids, which provides benefit to joint areas with poor blood supply like cartilage. But after a certain age, when things hurt it is because they are being injured instead of being conditioned into a stronger state. Rest those knees, take anti inflammatory drugs if you can, then ease back into it if the swelling and pain subside. Listen to your doctor. If your knee cartilage is gone, well, it will be tough going. If it's just an effusion, it will calm down.

I am 20 years out from a nasty, joint surface trashing and devastating tibial plateau fracture. Cycling has postponed the inevitable in that knee, but when it swells I back off.

Last edited by Hot Potato; 03-27-16 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-27-16, 10:42 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Hey Jen - I got hit by a car 17 years ago and my right knee is ruined. 2 surgeries so far and an inevitable replacement are in order, along with various affiliated injuries to the opposite foot (3 surgeries for the lis franc injury, and another for the ankle...), so I feel your pain, literally.

I sprained the dickens out of my GOOD ankle in November. Took almost 2 months off for healing and then Christmas vacation and my cycling fitness apparently migrated south. It's a process. Some people can take a year off and pick up where they left off, that's not me. It sounds like you're in the throes of dealing with that as well. Just give it time and don't over do anything and you'll probably be back to "fine" in no time at all. Oh, and the PT and icing are probably excellent as well. If you have to walk your bike up a hill or two, big whoop di doo, your ego will survive.

If it's any consolation, your previous stories about the Bon ton roulet really make me want to do that ride. Heal up!
Old 03-28-16, 06:36 AM
BadBurrito

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my thoughts are that if the knees are inflamed, then you need to give them a rest for awhile, and for me, the older I get the longer that takes (I'm 62). when I had trouble with my heel (barely able to walk at all).

We as bikers tend to get wrapped up in the quantity of biking- more miles, faster, more hills, and the flip side is we don't actually get enough rest. Particularly as we get older.

Anyway, I gave the bike a rest for months, and joined the Y, and went swimming - doing laps. Really helped rest the inflamed heel I had, helped my upper body, increased my wind, and generally improved my attitude. I'm back riding now. anxious for summer weather. And I still swim twice a week - I've become addicted to doing laps. Actually I think the heel issue, well it turns out is was a good thing.

You could look at your knee issue as an opportunity to workout other parts while the knees rest.

just my 2 cents
Old 03-28-16, 10:04 AM
Divtos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Continuing to bike as you can, continue with PT, try swimming. Id also get a second opinion just to make sure nothing is being missed. It certainly sounds like a systemic issue rather than a "knees issue" since it effected both knees at the same time. Im not so sure about icing anymore, it brings down swelling but it also slows circulation and lowers the viscocity of the joints lubrication. Step up your diet- every pound off your body is like 5 to your knees. At least thats what my doc told me. My wife swears by tumeric. Its supposed to be an anti-inflammatory and she swears it helps her knees. I like fish oil and feel they help me. Medically Ive had knee surgery and synvisc injections. I recommend the injections but not the surgery. My MD prescribes me a topical NSAID called PENNSAID. Advil can be hard on your stomach and this has helped me to avoid it.
Finally: The best results I ever see is from hard headed ****s that refuse to accept no for an answer. You can rest for an immediate issue but don't let that go on. Keep ****ing moving and don't take **** from anyone who tells you otherwise ;-)
Old 03-29-16, 08:19 PM
jeneralist 

Originally Posted by cyclist2000
Have you had your knees x-ray and MRI'd?

My story: about 10 years ago I went to a doctor about my knees, I couldn't run and walking or stairs were painful, this doctor said that I had arthritis. My spouse told me to a friend for a recommendation for a different doctor, he was an orthopedic oncologist. He recommended the doctor that worked on his knees. When I saw this orthopedist I got an x-ray before seeing anyone. He saw a shadow on the x-ray, then he had me get an MRI. He found a bone spur in my knee from the arthritis. I had the bone spur removed and the knee flushed out and it still feels good.

So make sure you are seeing a orthopedist.

Good luck, hope you get back to where you were soon.
X-rays, yes; MRI, no. There's not a lot of reason to think that I've torn anything, so I'm doing PT first; if I don't get better as expected, then maybe an MRI.
Old 03-29-16, 10:23 PM
GravelMN

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm normally not much on special diets that claim to do this or that, but due to lingering heart problems, a few months ago I switched to an anti-inflammatory nutrition program. Gotta say I've become a believer. I've got a history of heart attacks with stents and was having twinges and aches that were diagnosed as angina with some non-specific "shadowing" on my cardiac stress test. Not enough to warrant an angiogram but I went on two anti-anginals and Cardiazem. After two months on the anti-inflammatory eating plan, I'm down to the occasional use of one anti-anginal. An unexpected side benefit is that 90% of my aches and pains are gone. I've got a history of knee and back injuries and was diagnosed with early arthritis of my hands but now my joints are nearly pain free, even after a heavy workout or long day on my feet. Another bonus is that I dropped 18 pounds without really trying.

I've done low-carb and paleo type nutrition in the past and the anti-inflammatory diet has some similarities but focuses more on reducing inflammation promoting foods while increasing the consumption of foods with anti-inflammatory properties.

I'm not suggesting that this is a cure for your problem, but anything that helps to reduce inflammation should augment anything your doctor and therapist are doing for you. (Insert mandatory disclaimer to check with your doctor before making significant changes in your diet)
Old 03-30-16, 11:30 AM
indyfabz

Liked 16,129 Times in 7,574 Posts
At the risk of playing doctor, has anyone considered Pseudogout?:

Pseudogout: Crystals, Treatment, Pain, Symptoms, Arthritis

I had horrible swelling, pain and stiffness in one of my knees after a hard ride. I went to Rothman. The ortho I saw drained some fluid from my knee, tested and found the crystals mentioned in the above link.

Hope you get better soon.

BTW...I took a four-day over Easter weekend that included two nights at Cape Henlopen State Park near Lewes, DE. The place is really nice and especially good if you have children who bike since there are several rideable trails. I had always wanted to go but getting a campground reservation on the weekend is extremely difficult much of the year. Even on Easter weekend the place was probably 2/3 full. In the summer months, weekends are booked up months in advance.
Old 03-30-16, 01:03 PM
Ursa Minor

Bikes: rivendell romulus terratrike rover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The thing that strikes me about the original post is the speed of the onset. Did you do anything new in the days prior like change meds?
I had bad knee reaction to an antibiotic ciprofloxinane (sp?). Had to use a cane for 3 weeks and no biking. Anyway best of luck to you.

Charlie
Old 03-30-16, 01:19 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
X-rays, yes; MRI, no. There's not a lot of reason to think that I've torn anything, so I'm doing PT first; if I don't get better as expected, then maybe an MRI.
I didn't tear anything in my knee that time. I had a karate injury in 1980, and it was repaired in 1980. This was 20 years later, no injuries, just couldn't run or walk without lots of pain.

The way my doctor explained it to me was that I have arthritis in that knee and calcium builds up on the lower front edge of my knee cap. For some reason that bit of calcium broke off and that is the bone spur. Its not the bone but it is the arthritis calcium build up. My bone spur was the size of a postage stamp and was floating around my knee causing pain when I moved my knee. So I didn't tear anything or do any damage it was just due to the arthritis build up and some movement that broke it loose.

Well I just wanted to relate what happened to me and what made my knee better. I'm not a doctor and I don't think anyone should take any medical advice that I give, this has been my experience with my knee pain.

I hope you are able to start putting on the mega miles again soon.

Best wishes.

Don
Old 03-30-16, 01:38 PM
eastbay71

Bikes: the bikes own me

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hi [MENTION=178719]jeneralist[/MENTION],

I went through a similar trial a few years ago. I am an avid snowboarder. All my other physical activities are in support of snowboarding, cycling included. My job is relatively sedentary so I run to stay in shape. I was runnning about 25 miles a week, usually running 8-12 miles one morning on the weekend and running at least 3 miles a day. I started to train for a half marathon doing intervals and hills in October of 2012. I started having pain in the bottom of my feet but pushed through it because it was a destination event at IronMan in Hilo, Hawaii and I wanted to do well. By the time the event rolled around I had to cut it back to a 10K. I saw my doctor right after the trip, I had reached a point where I could barely walk because my left foot's arch had swollen so badly. I was diagnosed with severe possibly chronic plantar fasciitus. I had to take off the whole snowboarding season and was told to do nothing but swim for at least 6 months. It ended up taking over a year to heal.
Listen to your body and your doctor! Take the time off that you need and don't worry about lost fitness or goals you had set. If I had listened to my body right away my recovery time would have been much shorter. Hang in there you will get through this! I was back on my snowboard for the 2013/14 season and I started running again last year.
Old 03-31-16, 05:19 AM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
If you have insurance to cover an mri, get it done. It will take all the guess work out of your scenario and you'll have a proper diagnosis. I had one done on my left knee years ago when I tore my meniscus and they said either surgery to repair or wait and see. I decided to wait and when the swelling went down and my ability to walk somewhat normally again returned I went out and bought a road bike. That was the best thing I ever did, three years later and 60lbs less my knees haven't felt this good in a decade.
Old 04-01-16, 04:03 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Liked 3,541 Times in 2,627 Posts
encouragement, encouragement, ...

What a bummer to hear that knees are keeping you off the bike!

Don't fret that you're slower than others, or slower than your previous self. You're at where you're at, it is what it is, you do what you can. I would talk to the dr and pt about cycling, maybe they can help you set goals/schedules for how much time you should spend on the bike, how hard you should work at it. You gotta make sure you don't injure yourself more!

If you have so many bikes already in the living room, you're probably experienced enough to have this covered, but just in case... make sure your bikes are well-fitted. Seat height in particular can affect knees. Also, the worst knee pain I ever had from cycling was due to forcing my heels outward on a hard ride chasing some fitter friends. That's how I discovered I need pedal extenders because of my duck feet. Turns out skeletons don't like being twisted and stressed out of their natural shape! Fortunately that was just a one-ride issue, and rest made it all better.

Keep working at it (and resting at it, as appropriate)!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.