Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Bull Horn bars not allowed in my velodrome. What else can I use close to that?

Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-11, 06:37 AM
okrieger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everybody,

I come to you and open a new thread as I haven't found any topic which answer my current problem so pardon me if my search wasn't good enough and if there is already a thread answering my question.

I started 4 weeks ago track bike after one year of read bike as I live up in the mountains and I cannot practice road bike from December to March. During 4 weeks, I used my new Fuji Track 2.0 bike with its default handlebar but the handlebar isn't really comfortable for me and therefore I decided to buy a bull horn aerobar as it seemed much more comfortable. I bought the Pro Synop HF TT bar (https://www.pro-bikegear.com/publish/...-PR320507.html) and used it today for a session. It was almost perfect and I was really happy at the end of the session and congratulate myself for such a smart idea I also wondered why others don't use such bars but didn't ask. Well, at the end of my session, I understood why nobody else was using such bars, this is simply not allowed in my velodrome for security reasons

Now that I have exposed my problem, I would like to ask you if there are handlebars which can provide me with the same comfort as my aerobar but with a drop bar? I found the 3T Sphinx (https://www.3tcycling.com/products.as...kBars&p=sphinx) which may be an option but this is really expensive so if there are any other solutions, I would appreciate any advice.

Ideally, I may ask someone to build a bespoke handlebar for me based on the Pro Synop I currently own and to add drop bars to it so that it is compliant with the rules of the velodrome but before I explore that possibility, I would prefer to find a manufactured product.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Old 10-27-11, 08:30 AM
carleton
Elitist

Liked 93 Times in 78 Posts
Your velodrome is not being unreasonable.

Aerobars and bullhorn bars are only allowed in time-trials. Time-trials when there are either:
- One person on the track
- One team on the track
- Two opposing racers
- Two opposing teams

Aerobars and bullhorns are not allowed in Mass Start races (group races) and are sometimes frowned upon when beginners use them during mass warmup sessions. This has nothing to do with comfort and everything to do with the fact that aerobars pose a significant risk of stabbing or goring another rider in the event of an accident. This is also why bar ends are required. No one wants a core sample taken of their flesh.

It's hard to make a recommendation without seeing your bike's current setup. If you could attach pics, that would be helpful.

Consider this:
- Shallow drop road bars
- High-rise stem (+17 or +24 degrees)

This will bring your hands up higher which may be more comfortable.

You don't need "track" bars to race on the track. I would guess that more than 50-60% of the handlebars used on the track are in fact road handlebars.
Old 10-27-11, 09:24 AM
okrieger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Your velodrome is not being unreasonable.

Aerobars and bullhorn bars are only allowed in time-trials. Time-trials when there are either:
- One person on the track
- One team on the track
- Two opposing racers
- Two opposing teams

Aerobars and bullhorns are not allowed in Mass Start races (group races) and are sometimes frowned upon when beginners use them during mass warmup sessions. This has nothing to do with comfort and everything to do with the fact that aerobars pose a significant risk of stabbing or goring another rider in the event of an accident. This is also why bar ends are required. No one wants a core sample taken of their flesh.
Hi Carlton,

Thanks for the reply. I don't think my velodrome is unreasonable, I rather think this is a good rule but I never considered bull horn being dangerous before some explained me with it may be dangerous. I had of course bar ends but anyway, this isn't allowed to ride bull horn so I have to find something else.

It's hard to make a recommendation without seeing your bike's current setup. If you could attach pics, that would be helpful.
I'll attach pics later tonight so that you can see my current setup.

Consider this:
- Shallow drop road bars
- High-rise stem (+17 or +24 degrees)

This will bring your hands up higher which may be more comfortable.

You don't need "track" bars to race on the track. I would guess that more than 50-60% of the handlebars used on the track are in fact road handlebars.
Thanks for the advice, I am convinced about your advice and I am now looking to find an handlebar with long reach and short drop with, if possible, the upper bars flat and 90 degrees from the horizontal bar.
Old 11-01-11, 05:22 PM
xdrmusclex
the barbarian

Bikes: Independent Fabrications Crown Jewel, Surly Steamroller(FG), Abici Podium (road)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use FSA omega compact road bars on the track (i ride a Fuji track pro). They have a really really shallow drop (35mm i believe), but a pretty short reach. I use the same bars on my road bike(but 42mm wide on the road, 38mm wide on the track) so switching bikes is pretty easy. I had track drops, but they put my riding position way too low, this was solved by the FSA bars