Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Brompton replacement sprockets

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-22, 07:11 PM
derail3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I have a 2003 Brompton 6 speed with a SACHS 3 speed hub. There are two sprockets 13 & 15. The hub runs great but the sprockets are just about wore out. Tried to have my local Brompton dealer replace them. But was told they could not find a source for replacements.

The hub has a 3 spine mounting. Shimmino have 9 and will not fit. Does anyone have a source for these sprockets? I live in the USA but willing to go outside the US if need be.

Old 04-24-22, 02:11 AM
Blackstrida_A_

Bikes: Strida SD, SDe, Evo, Strida efneo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Found at cyclechat.net
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/br...-speed.261765/
Originally Posted by Berlinonaut
...According to Brompton's tech spec for the SRAM 6-speed the 15t should be 2mm thick "with the arrow facing outwards". Between the 15t and the 13t there's a 2,2mm spacer and the 13t is 3,0mm thick. So in case you are not able to source an according 15t maybe it would be an option to slim down the spacer a tiny bit.
2 + 2,2 + 3 = 7,2 mm

Considering this (and hoping my calculations are correct) I'd say that a spacer with 1,8 mm thickness, combined with these two sprockets, might work, too.
https://www.clevercycles.com/brompto...-spline-f.html
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sprocket...lat-cp-hsl850/

3/32" => ~ 2,4 mm
3 + 1,8 + 2,4 = 7,2 mm

Please check by yourself
Old 04-24-22, 02:12 AM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
As SRAM (which bought Sachs in 1997) stopped manufacturing gear hubs in 2017…it won't be easy finding cogs for that hub:

"Sachs/SRAM IGH parts are no longer made. You can still find spares online, especially in Germany (but good luck post-Brexit, many shops won't ship to the UK)." (Source)

gear hub = nabenschaltung
cog = ritzel
Old 04-24-22, 10:55 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,827 Times in 1,063 Posts
Originally Posted by derail3
The hub runs great but the sprockets are just about wore out.

If they are non-dished sprockets and have only been run in one direction...flip 'em over.

The hub has a 3 spine mounting. Shimmino have 9 and will not fit. Does anyone have a source for these sprockets?
The 'three spline mounting' has been used by Sturmey-Archer and Fitchel&Sachs (a.k.a. Sachs a.k.a. SRAM) since the early 1950s, and used by Shimano for hub gears since they started making hub gears in 1957. It's been used over the decades by many single-speed coaster hub manufacturers, too. These sprockets are one of the rare universal fit items with bicycles. Seriously, any ubiquitous Sturmey, Sachs (SRAM), Shimano or off-brand three tab sprocket* will fit that hub. You can achieve the spacing you need with either flat cogs and spacer(s) or dished cog(s).

You know those Shimano nine-spline cassette hubs? Yeah, they're the same diameter around the outside of the splines as a three-speed IGH driver, so spacers in all sorts of thicknesses for between the cogs are pretty much a ubiquitous item, too. In fact, this is the same diameter spacer needed to adjust a bottom bracket's alignment in a BB shell.

Tried to have my local Brompton dealer replace them. But was told they could not find a source for replacements.

Pathetic.

Fun fact: Those sprockets are offered in sizes from 13T to 24T, plus 27T and 30T, in flat and dished for 1/8 chain and 3/32 chain.

*The rare, 'non-ubiquitous' three-tab sprockets for the S-A 8 and newest S-A 5 hubs will not fit.

Last edited by tcs; 04-24-22 at 11:07 AM.