Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Photos: 175 mile 1.5 day tour of the Connecticut River Valley

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-12, 11:06 AM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts

Left from my doorstep, and headed up the Farmington Canal Heritage Trail from its starting point until it ends up in Mass., then cruise back down through CT farm country and head for home.

Nursery, Cheshire CT

Farmington, CT

Continuing on the Farmington Canal Trail

Roadside "Campsite," Granby, CT

Former rail station

The border before breakfast, then to Agawam before heading south again.

Shel Silverstien

Heading home, took the Windsor Locks Canal Trail

Blocked again! Time to backtrack a long, bumpy way! Last 200 yards closed for bald eagle nests.
Old 04-19-12, 11:07 AM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Hartford-- yes, I was heading south into that wind all day. 110 miles!

Mark Twain House...

No more photos-- just make a break for home! Made it back around 10:30pm Monday.

https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/84316893/

https://www.farmingtoncanal.org/ (maps are out of date...)
Old 04-19-12, 11:33 AM
mbryant52

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Waltworks singlespeed 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome. Touring from your front door is the best. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-19-12, 07:59 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Thanks.

It was the maiden voyage for that new old stock '85 Alyeska. Not just with me, but with anyone!. All original freewheel/chain/etc. Somebody had obviously bought it and stored it right away. It arrived from ebay on Friday, and by Sunday I was on the road.

I took it out with a different seatpost/saddle and left the original black "raleigh" water bottle at home, but the chain saw its first road grime ever. That foam will have to go, too. My hands are numb!

It sure rode like a dream, though-- it loved to track straight-- you could jiggle the bars and they would just wiggle themselves back to straight. Great touring geo-- but it didn't feel really sluggish or flexy in a climb considering the weight.

Last edited by Standalone; 04-19-12 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-20-12, 05:43 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
Trip looks good. Is it pretty smooth sailing on the trail, or do you hit many rough patches? Looks like a great weekender. Any motels/hotels along the way?

So, after 27 years that bike finally got a chance to get out there and do what it was meant to do. Looks like a great maiden voyage!
Old 04-21-12, 07:03 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

no hotels/motels that I stayed in, but some could certainly be googled. I set out at 3PM on Sunday and was home late night Monday, so just one fitful overnight in a mesh bivy. The deer were really active-- I guess a linear park is THEIR highway, too! Smooth trail on the FCHT, but a bumpier thicker-tire worthy trail is the Windsor Locks.
Old 04-24-12, 06:49 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
Sounds like a great ride! Great route, beautiful classic touring bike, and a little stealth camping thrown in...all thrown into a 175 mile adventure that took just a little over a day's time! Time well spent. Excellent!
Old 04-24-12, 07:02 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
that was some adventure you went on. Nice.
Old 04-24-12, 07:50 AM
djyak

Bikes: Cannondale M300 mountain, '72 German Kurfalz touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice photos! Looks fairly quiet out there too, even better.
Old 04-24-12, 04:23 PM
adventurepdx

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Looks like a nice ride! I rode the northern section of the Farmington Canal Trail on a tour several years back. I remember how the paved part just ended at the CT/MA line. I managed to trek on a few more miles through the unimproved section, though it wasn't fun. I realized (too late) that the old rail alignment was going through a very-active dirt bike course. Thankfully I got out sans conflict.

Question for the OP: Does Chick's in West Haven still exist? I see from the map you started near where it would be.
Old 04-24-12, 07:54 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Hey, you know Chick's! That's great. It certainly exists--- though Irene took out a bit of the MUP bike path across the street on the beach, but everything's ok. When were you here??

And you can see in my first post where the path ran out, only a good bit further up in MA than it did where you hit the end. It's the photo with the orange sign. Looks like they're building it out even more. I walked up to the survey team to ask whether there was any path further ahead and they said no. So I got directions to a good diner. Now if they can only connect that one section through Southington, CT...

Last edited by Standalone; 04-24-12 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-24-12, 08:35 PM
adventurepdx

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Standalone
Hey, you know Chick's! That's great. It certainly exists--- though Irene took out a bit of the MUP bike path across the street on the beach, but everything's ok. When were you here??
If you mean when was the last specific time I was at Chick's, sometime in the mid-nineties. There were many times I've been there, though. I lived in "your neck of the woods" from 1975-2000. Many summer days were spent at either Silver Sands or Gulf beaches in Milford, and stopping at Chick's was part of the post-beach ritual. (Fun fact: The last car I ever bought was from someone who lived a couple blocks from Chick's.)

...I walked up to the survey team to ask whether there was any path further ahead and they said no. So I got directions to a good diner...
Ah, New England. How I miss ya!
Old 04-24-12, 09:21 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Nice report!
Old 04-25-12, 08:43 AM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Originally Posted by adventurepdx
If you mean when was the last specific time I was at Chick's, sometime in the mid-nineties. There were many times I've been there, though. I lived in "your neck of the woods" from 1975-2000. Many summer days were spent at either Silver Sands or Gulf beaches in Milford, and stopping at Chick's was part of the post-beach ritual. (Fun fact: The last car I ever bought was from someone who lived a couple blocks from Chick's.)
I'm a Stowe's Seafood fan myself... I grew up in Del, but came up to the Milford area-- where both my parents grew up until moving out in '75-- once I was ready to settle down. Lots of family roots and kin here. I'm pretty active in religious and civic life in Milford, even though we're over the W. Haven line. I have come to love both towns quite a bit. Glad to be living here.
Old 05-07-12, 09:52 AM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

update: on a club ride and chatting with my shop's owner, he said that lots of folks had talked about doing the full farmington canal route w/ tent, but that I was the first.

I was really surprised! It seemed a ready made tour. I was sure tons of people did the same thing every year.
Old 05-07-12, 10:05 AM
Spld cyclist

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Fantom CXX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom CX, 1997 Bianchi Nyala, 200? Burley Rock 'n Roll

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like a great trip. Thanks for sharing. I should do that one the other way around - I'm just north of the border.
Old 05-07-12, 08:17 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Cool. Let me know if you have any questions. My furthest point of the trip was the Springfield skyline.

One interesting aspect of the trip is that the loop basically covers the Connecticut River Valley, a sort of rare ancient geological area that shows all kinds of cool things relating to when the continents pulled apart 200M years ago or whenever.

Google "Connecticut River Valley Geology" if you're interested in that kind of stuff. It was kind of like the split that could have become the Atlantic, but a parallel split wound up going the distance.

And get in touch if you need route planning help. Cheers.
Old 05-07-12, 08:37 PM
HacO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That was cool! Inspiring maiden trip.
I am in the process of researching for the route, and all the necessities that may entailed for my own maiden touring trip. See, I am planning to ride 236 miles in 2 days - From Detroit to Muskegon, Michigan - I kinda having some doubts, but after seeing your trip report, it really empowers me to embark on my adventure on wheels. And I hope I will be able to tour across this beautiful country, from coast to coast, some day.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 05-07-12, 08:54 PM
aenlaasu

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gorgeous photos! Thank you so much for sharing! I had to chuckle when I saw the building with the name Granby on it. It's a very common place name in my part of Sweden. I've ridden through at least 3 Granbys while pedaling around a 30 mile radius.
Old 05-08-12, 12:48 AM
yiffzer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very cool. I was on the same bike path that you went on that goes between Connecticut and Massachusetts -- it was an awesome bike path! I went all the way to the end and continued onto Springfield, MA. Nice cycling. I should do this sometimes.
Old 05-08-12, 12:51 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Originally Posted by HacO
That was cool! Inspiring maiden trip.
I am in the process of researching for the route, and all the necessities that may entailed for my own maiden touring trip. See, I am planning to ride 236 miles in 2 days - From Detroit to Muskegon, Michigan - I kinda having some doubts, but after seeing your trip report, it really empowers me to embark on my adventure on wheels. And I hope I will be able to tour across this beautiful country, from coast to coast, some day.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
That's a looooong way to go in 2 days. My trip was pretty much at the outside of my abilities, and I ride quite a lot-- and often loaded with a kid on the bike. If your route is mostly very flat as this one was, then go for it-- but be ready to have alternate shorter routes, too. No shame in that.

Don't forget that 40-50 loaded miles a day is *very* respectable. My 110 mile day two was pretty intense.
Old 05-08-12, 09:10 PM
HacO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a looooong way to go in 2 days. My trip was pretty much at the outside of my abilities, and I ride quite a lot-- and often loaded with a kid on the bike. If your route is mostly very flat as this one was, then go for it-- but be ready to have alternate shorter routes, too. No shame in that.

Don't forget that 40-50 loaded miles a day is *very* respectable. My 110 mile day two was pretty intense.

Many thanks for the advice. I forgot to mention since this is my first try out. I will be traveling very light and I will be using my race bike (Litespeed Tuscany Ti) with the handle bar adjusted to higher position. I trained regularly, I think I can achieve my daily objective. Further more, my touring bike is still being build. It will not be ready for the target date. I know this is not a full out touring, but at least I can find out what the feeling of the long distance traveling like. I still need to learn a lot from many, many seasoned riders in this forum before I can set out for an all out touring with every thing I need on the bike.
Worst case, I will reach my destiny on my 3 day.