Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-14, 03:36 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by bungis
Speaking of power meters, can anyone with Dura-Ace FC-7710 cranks do the community a huge favor and measure the width of the interior surface of both crank arms at roughly the center of the crank? It would be to fit a 4iiii Precision which currently requires a 24mm wide surface.

Diagram:
I just measured some 170mm DA FC-7710 and it's 19mm right there.
Old 10-09-14, 04:44 PM
bungis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah that looks about right, thanks. Maybe they'll narrow the power meter before release.

edit: Although I noticed Stages overhangs on this crank too, maybe that'll be ok.
Old 10-09-14, 06:15 PM
Quinn8it

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine look like they are closer to 27-28mm

and the Stages is the same width at the widest point.
Old 10-09-14, 08:02 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Quinn8it
Mine look like they are closer to 27-28mm

and the Stages is the same width at the widest point.
Did you measure just the flat part, not outside-to-outside?
Old 10-09-14, 08:14 PM
Quinn8it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ahhh- Yes! that explains it
Old 10-11-14, 01:55 PM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Random questions for those who monitor this thread:

How long should I hold on to my track gear after I think I'm done racing?

background: I had a good year last year, but 2014 I ended up not training or riding or racing other than teaching beginner's clinics.
At this point, I don't anticipate racing next year, and I've already sold off my various race wheels & SRM...

So, what I've got left is a 46-54t track bag of DA rings, a Giant Omnium w/ DA/OP clinchers... most of what I need, but stuff that is always available used were I to want to start again.
I mean, DA rings aren't losing or gaining value, a sturdy track frame isn't gaining or losing... there's not much here that I can't get again were I to start racing in a few years.

Thoughts?
I live in a small apartment w/ the wife+cat+dog, so space is sorta at a premium, and the $$ wouldn't be terrible to have.
Old 10-11-14, 02:37 PM
Shotland
Banned.

Bikes: '04 Bianchi Pista, '14 All-City Thunderdome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you should keep it. store it at your parents house if you have to.
Old 10-11-14, 04:50 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Shotland
+1

Keep it. Track Cycling is a life-long activity. If you don't absolutely *need* the money, then it's worth it to keep the gear because it doesn't depreciate in usefulness. I know guys who race gear that is 30 years old.
Old 10-11-14, 04:51 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Shotland
I think once you're married, your parents don't accept donations to their basement anymore . But yes, keep it. Break it down to a frameset and you can store it easier. Also, it's a hell of a lot easier to restart if you already have a bike you can put together. Less expensive too.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 10-11-14, 06:25 PM
gl98115

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hida Yanra
Thoughts?
My track bike hung on the wall as art for 18 years until I got motivated to race again. Having the gear on hand made the decision to ride easier.

Unless your bike is a 54cm. Then you should sell the lot to me for $500. I'm one of those guys riding 30 yr old gear.

Last edited by gl98115; 10-12-14 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-11-14, 07:13 PM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
mmmm, yeah- easier to re-start if I have the bits, it would be more likely to help me get out there were I to have the bits already.

If I stay in a place w/ a track, I probably will keep it for at least another year.
If I do end up moving to Bend this winter, PDX is too far away to bother with, so I'll be selling to fund a better mtb
Old 10-13-14, 12:15 PM
Quinn8it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
carleton and Mukman have a couple of cool iOS apps for different cycling needs...

i was wondering if there was an app or other resource out there that allows you to record your bike fit data.

it would be great to have that stuff in a handy place- but would be even cooler if the app could give you equipment adjustments to adapt to different frames..
ie: your new frame has a longer top-tube, a shorter head tube, and a slacker seat tube angle- so you need a stem that is "this length and this angle"

yes i realize now that i type this out I'm basically asking someone to make this app
Old 10-13-14, 12:39 PM
carleton
Elitist

carleton and Mukman have a couple of cool iOS apps for different cycling needs...

i was wondering if there was an app or other resource out there that allows you to record your bike fit data.

it would be great to have that stuff in a handy place- but would be even cooler if the app could give you equipment adjustments to adapt to different frames..
ie: your new frame has a longer top-tube, a shorter head tube, and a slacker seat tube angle- so you need a stem that is "this length and this angle"

yes i realize now that i type this out I'm basically asking someone to make this app
This is a great idea. I think Mr. Tiemeyer had something similar that he used in his work. But, he is an Aeronautical Engineer and really good at math (to say the least). My brain is getting hot thinking about how to implement such. Let me think about this and see what I can do. I need a bigger project.
Old 10-13-14, 12:51 PM
Quinn8it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One thing that Tiemeyer used, that I believe is also used by Retul is the XY/XY coordinates.

the center of your bar clamp on the stem was one- with X- being the distance forward of the bottom bracket and Y the distance above the bottom bracket.

and the second set was center of the saddle rails. Also vertically and horizontally..
Old 10-13-14, 01:20 PM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
One thing that Tiemeyer used, that I believe is also used by Retul is the XY/XY coordinates.
speaking of which: Slowtwitch has done a series on various new fit machines (largely boring other than to shop guys and fit nerds -so basically me), and then an article on "Bike Discovery", a program from Guru paired with Retul's "Frame Finder" and they seem to do pretty much what we are talking about.
Old 10-16-14, 04:33 AM
Murakami

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There was a video posted (I think it was on this forum anyway) of a race which mixed Points and Elimination, think it had the word "wolf" somewhere in it? Anyone know where I might find it?
Old 10-16-14, 10:05 AM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Murakami
There was a video posted (I think it was on this forum anyway) of a race which mixed Points and Elimination, think it had the word "wolf" somewhere in it? Anyone know where I might find it?
are you talking about the Wolfpack races they do in Los Angeles?
Old 10-16-14, 08:04 PM
gl98115

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I moved this over from the Show Off thread:

Originally Posted by carleton
And I would venture to guess that clipless pedals from 20 years ago weren't very secure by modern standards. I've used some old LOOK pedals and they were fine for road, but I would yank out of them on the track.
I popped out of a Look Carbo Pro in a standing start, so I switched to the original Look style Dura Ace pedals (PD-7401) with adjustable tension. Cranked them down to the max and never had a problem. Still ride them today.
Old 10-16-14, 09:25 PM
gl98115

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
A glued interface is better than clincher because, in the event of a flat, you have a prayer of staying upright long enough to come to a stop. No prayer if the rim is allowed contact to the track surface, which is automatic in the case of a clincher.
In this case the tubular peeled off completely and the rim did contact the track surface. He must be a track god.

Old 10-16-14, 09:55 PM
gtrob

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gl98115

I popped out of a Look Carbo Pro in a standing start, so I switched to the original Look style Dura Ace pedals (PD-7401) with adjustable tension. Cranked them down to the max and never had a problem. Still ride them today.
Ive had the same problem, I think the carbon pedals come in different tensions now and I guess I had whatever the middle was (i think it was yellow). Anyway, I use the cheaper spring clip pedals now as like you say the have adjustment and they hold much better. BUT if you have worn cleats, you can easily pull out too. Always keep a spare cleat in my bag after one day of getting yelled at by coach...
Old 10-17-14, 03:26 AM
Murakami

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hida Yanra
are you talking about the Wolfpack races they do in Los Angeles?
I'm an idiot. Had video as a favourite:

Wolfpack Hustle: The All Out War Format on Vimeo
Old 10-17-14, 08:17 AM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gl98115

In this case the tubular peeled off completely and the rim did contact the track surface. He must be a track god.

[ame]https://youtu.be/tir_3b8UfK0[/v ideo]
Not sure your point, since it is a small miracle he didn't crash. Dude did a good job a keeping it upright. Like I said, same thing happened to me and I ended my day at the ER. One instance does not a argument make.

Not sure why people are arguing this point. It is more dangerous to flat on the track than the road, and in the case of a flat, you have a better chance of staying upright if you use tubulars over clinchers. How is this controversial? The flip side is, because there is nothing to pinch or puncture the tire, flats happen only rarely, so you have that going for you if you want to use clinchers.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 10-17-14, 08:29 AM
gtrob

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flat or not, I cant stand the feel of clinchers anymore. Ive been ridding all year on my road race wheels (the benefit of low mileage) which are 22m tubs at 140psi. Yesterday I threw my power tap on the rear to make sure it still worked and stopped 3 times because I thought I had a flat. Nope, just what 110psi clincher feels like lol

Track is the same, I feel so much more in control with a billion PSI under me. Dont let the fear/annoyance of glue stop you from using tubulars. Just close the windows, turn on some pink floyd, and have a glue party on a Friday night. woooo weeee
Old 10-17-14, 10:35 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by gtrob
Flat or not, I cant stand the feel of clinchers anymore. Ive been ridding all year on my road race wheels (the benefit of low mileage) which are 22m tubs at 140psi. Yesterday I threw my power tap on the rear to make sure it still worked and stopped 3 times because I thought I had a flat. Nope, just what 110psi clincher feels like lol

Track is the same, I feel so much more in control with a billion PSI under me. Dont let the fear/annoyance of glue stop you from using tubulars. Just close the windows, turn on some pink floyd, and have a glue party on a Friday night. woooo weeee
Try "open tubular" clincher tires on your clincher rims. They cost more than normal clinchers, but they feel like tubulars and usually accept very high PSI.
Old 10-17-14, 10:59 AM
slindell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Murakami
I'm an idiot. Had video as a favourite:

Wolfpack Hustle: The All Out War Format on Vimeo
Marymoor tried a point a lap + miss and out a couple of years ago. Something about a 35mph neutral lap at the start and the scoring complexities led to it being requested to not be run again by the racers and the officials.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.