Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cheap Alternative To Brooks Saddles?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-23, 02:34 PM
daniell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts

https://www.gusti-leather.com/bike/bike/saddles/
I just came across this site. Has anybody ridden on one of their saddles?
Likes For daniell:
Old 10-02-23, 04:35 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Brooks has been doing saddles for a very long time and they tend to fulfill the needs of many, many riders. When something has been perfected to the standards set by the company, and is continuously received by the consumer in a positive light at numbers that sustain the company, it says a whole lot about the product. It may be expensive, but it is very, very good.

Seems as though Gusti has a thing for goat leather. I think you ought try one for several thousand miles and report back with results.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 10-02-23, 04:48 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
With leather saddles, you get what you pay for

the site notes the saddle are water buffalo leather, not goat.

So you can take the change for a $75 B17 look alike and if it works your good or get a B17 for 125 at universal cycles and know you are good

Old 10-02-23, 05:58 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Have not ridden these. Butt, try it. And let us know.
I have ridden suspended leather saddles (many were vintage, no longer in production) from Brooks, Gyes, Ideale, Fuji (Belt), Palace, Wrights, Troxel, Selle Anatomica and RHMsaddles. Maybe others.
Everyone has preferences. I have never ridden a water buffalo, nor a goat - to my knowledge - only cowhide of varying thicknesses and compliance.

I prefer cut-outs in my leather saddles, see none with that option at gusti-leather.com
Old 10-02-23, 07:22 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
I've ridden Brooks, Wright, Middlemore, and Belt leather saddles. I prefer Brooks. I find them more comfortable and more durable. I've never had a non-Brooks leather saddle last as long as a Brooks (50+ years). They seem to sag, tear, or otherwise become uncomfortable much sooner than Brooks.
Old 10-02-23, 07:35 PM
msalvetti

Bikes: 2021 Trek FX Sport 4, ~1996 Mongoose Crossway 4.50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 1,308 Times in 433 Posts
Originally Posted by daniell
If you want a near-perfect Brooks B17 send me a PM. I rode it for about 6 months and was never able to get comfortable. Saddle, wrench, and a container of Proofhide (but no box).

Mark
Likes For msalvetti:
Old 10-02-23, 08:00 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
I've ridden Brooks, Persons, Leppers, Sella Italia, Selle Anatomica, Tops and Gyes.

Last Brooks broke in asymmetrically. Love my two Persons No. 77 Deluxe - sadly, they don't seem to be available anymore. The Gyes TI-17A rides nice with exquisite workmanship. I like the Selle Anatomicas (have 3) and as a bonus they have consumer-replaceable tops should it ever come to that. The Lepper Tourer and Sella Italia Eopca - pretty, but the derriere says meh. The Tops was junk.
Old 10-02-23, 08:00 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 275 Posts
Brooks was bought out by Selle Royal several years ago. Selle Royal kept the factory in Leeds and the employes from what I hear. I currently ride the non leather versions. Gilles Berthoud saddles are probably as well made. I believe they are French.
Old 10-02-23, 08:52 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Brooks has been doing saddles for a very long time and they tend to fulfill the needs of many, many riders. When something has been perfected to the standards set by the company, and is continuously received by the consumer in a positive light at numbers that sustain the company, it says a whole lot about the product. It may be expensive, but it is very, very good.

Seems as though Gusti has a thing for goat leather. I think you ought try one for several thousand miles and report back with results.
A romanticized version of Brooks to be sure. “The company” was sold to Raleigh’s investment group in the 1960s, was sold and liquidated in the late ‘90s, and revived in ‘02, as noted upthread, by Selle Royal. Sure, today they do things mostly the old fashioned way, but I question how much of “the company” is still really in the place. Leather tanning and Cambium saddles are done in Italy, for example.

When I was a kid, there were all kinds of cheap, plastic Brooks saddles around, and certainly the elite sports segment was ruled by Italian brands. It’s only been fairly recently that Brooks was re-emergent as, the way I see it, a lifestyle brand. That’s not to say the saddles are uncomfortable, but it does raise questions about what kind of “special sauce” they may have, if any. Personally, I don’t give 2 bits to Brooks at any price, and would certainly never pay what they’re asking for those things. Brooks: better than wood, anyway.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 10-02-23, 09:57 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
I love my Brooks (B17 and Swift) but I like my Berthoud even more, but it is a lot more than the brooks, but it is rebuildable https://berthoudcycles.fr/en/527-lea...lor-black.html

Old 10-03-23, 02:03 AM
daniell

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
I currently have the two Brooks saddles. The Team professional and the B17. I find both comfortable. I have one complaint about the B17 however. I should have purchased one with copper rivets. One of the rivets is not sitting flush. I tried banging it down. Unlike in the case of the Team Professional, it would not budge.
Old 10-03-23, 03:32 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Chaadster, not sure there is a special sauce to Brooks manufacturing process, I simply believe they have not strayed too far from the standard upon which the company was built. Their saddles are not for everyone, no question about that, but neither is pizza or blue jeans, but they do have a winning tradition in the world of food and fashion.

In 1975 my first touring bike, a Schwinn Super Sport (odd name for a tourer, no?) had a Brooks B15n mounted and it was reliably comfortable. Started racing a few years later and the Raleigh Competition I raced came with a Brooks Professional. I replaced it with a Turbo saddle and all was well as the Brooks was too far forward for me to get off the rivets. Got back into touring a few years ago and was still using the Turbo saddle, but something changed when I made my own touring frame and I tried the venerable B17 and found it to be uncommonly comfortable for mostly seated riding.

Again, they ain't for all riders, but those that enjoy them typically swear by them. As for an off-brand, it may work out, it may not. If you have no experience with a leather saddle, then it may not give you accurate feedback on what a leather saddle can do since it is an off-brand product.
Old 10-03-23, 06:53 AM
tcs
Palmer

Persons and Lepper got their start in saddles in the 1890s. Sella Italia molds their leather on 1914 tooling. Ideale is using tooling from before WWII.

As for an off-brand...
Snerk.
Old 10-03-23, 06:59 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by squirtdad
...my Berthoud...is rebuildable
The Selle Anatomica also is rebuildable and offers rubber as well as 'solid' & cut-out leather tops and factory & aftermarket carbon fiber rails.

Noted the thread title is "Cheap Alternative to Brooks Saddles", and neither the Berthoud nor Selle Anatomica is colloquially cheap.
Old 10-03-23, 07:03 AM
tcs
Palmer

I keep hoping for a Bike Forums report on the Tabor saddle from Portugal. They're kind of an upstart, having only been in the leather saddle business since 1965.

Likes For tcs:
Old 10-03-23, 07:38 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
A Brooks B17 is $105 on Amazon right now. I am not looking around on google for any other prices, but I am confident it costs more and less elsewhere.
Anyways, how is the website that the OP linked any cheaper than Brooks?

Brooks has other saddles for more than $105, and this other saddle company has the same.
This thing looks pretty similar to a Brooks an costs $106...https://www.gusti-leather.com/real-l...own-2f64-20-42

Also, whats with the saddle model names?
Old 10-03-23, 07:45 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
To me, a Brooks is like:
Likes For big john:
Old 10-03-23, 11:09 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
To me, a Brooks is like:
Butt,...unequaled in durability. Lasts eons if the carriage is rebuildable.
Old 10-03-23, 12:57 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Wildwood
I just can't. I had a hard, deadly ass-hatchet and I gave it away. Friend did the same. He was doing 20K+ miles per year and he heard the Brooks hype. Bought one, suffered for a while and gave it to someone who had an ass for the saddle, as they say.

I like some of the Selle Italia butt resters. Friend had 2 Flite Gel saddles new in the box. They aren't squishy gel, just a bit of give to them. And they have a cut-out.
I bought them both, put one on the main road bike until it started looking haggard, then I switched it to the mtb and put the other new one on the roadie.

I had a different Selle Italia, firm leather with a cut-out but after years the base started breaking down where the rails go in. Still have it on one road bike but it's noisy.
Likes For big john:
Old 10-03-23, 02:33 PM
hopperja

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 22 Posts
I have several B17s and a Velo Orange Touring Saddle (buffalo hyde). I bought the VO because I was looking for a "cheaper alternative" like the OP.

Now that my VO is broken in, I like it alot. It is every bit as comfortable as any saddle I've ever used. That said, breaking it in was a lesson in futility. It was so hard, and the leather is so thick, that I couldn't hardly stand riding for any distance. It was more painful than any new Brooks I've ever had. After trying to break it in the normal way (maybe over as long as a couple years) I finally put it on my indoor trainer. I ride my trainer for 30 minutes of intervals at a time, 1 - 2 times a week, and I figured I could tolerate it for that long and then have a few days for my sit bones to recover. After being on the bike trainer for 10+ years of consistent use it's finally broken in and comfortable.

Good luck with your "cheaper alternative."
Old 10-03-23, 02:43 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
A Brooks B17 is $105 on Amazon right now.
And about the same price on eBay (including shipping).

Anymore, I'm not sure what the point is in buying a knock-off. Get the real thing.
Old 10-03-23, 02:58 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by daniell

...I have not ridden on one of their saddles. Their production is sourced from India. And they make a big deal about sustainability and transparency.
I do have a couple of the old VO leather saddles, that were sourced from Asia, but I think it was Taiwan, not India. Those are quite high quality, but they stopped selling them at VO.

I have zero experience with saddles made from goat leather.
Old 10-03-23, 05:35 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,568 Times in 7,334 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad

the site notes the saddle are water buffalo leather, not goat.
Goats approve.
Old 10-03-23, 05:37 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,568 Times in 7,334 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
But loses to paper.
Old 10-03-23, 06:01 PM
big john

Originally Posted by indyfabz
But loses to paper.
Butt, paper, scissors?
Likes For big john:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.