Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Women shoes with cleat covers

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-24, 12:19 PM
dvai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hi all.

Im trying to get my wife some cycling shoes. She may want to start using cleats in the future but I thought getting her a shoe with a more rigid sole (vs the running shoes she uses now on platform pedals).

Any benefit of wearing dedicated bike shoes without cleats?

If yes, they use to have shoes that were "cleat ready" but also came with a cover.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-16-24, 01:09 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
You might look through the websites of all the companies that sell cycling shoes. I think some or many make shoes specifically for cycling that don't have a cleat. Or at least they use to.

Basically, you are on the correct path... a more rigid sole so there isn't any annoying flex.

I use spd pedals and shoes with my road bike. Their design tends to make it easier to walk in those shoes without a cover on them. And for certain all the spd type shoes I have bought come with covers to go over the mount for the cleat if one doesn't want to use cleats.

Last edited by Iride01; 01-16-24 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-16-24, 01:18 PM
dvai

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I wonder how would pedaling with the SPD cleat compatible shoe (with no cleat) be on a flat pedal.

(I also use SPD with my road bike - is easier to walk around)
Old 01-16-24, 01:56 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
I don't think it matters to an SPD shoe whether or not cleats are installed. My old Shimano MT41 shoes came with textured inserts so the sole of the shoe was flat until the insert was removed. My newer Giro Rumble shoes have cleats. Cleat covers fit over the cleats and are to keep the cleat from scratching floors. I do not think it does any harm to a shoe to simply not install cleats if you don't need them. Yes, absolutely, the rigid construction of a cycling shoe is of benefit, with, or without, cleats.
Old 01-16-24, 02:44 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
I would recommend getting mountain bike shoes which are all pretty rigid with two hole mountingfor spd pedals. Those shoes are easy to walk around it even with the cleat attached - compared to many road shoes. The there are combination flat pedal on one side and spd on the other, so she can choose whether to clip in or not. Was looking at Amazon last night and some of those pedals are as cheap as $30, but I went spend more for better quality. They have shoes as well.

Old 01-16-24, 03:33 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I don't think it matters to an SPD shoe whether or not cleats are installed. My old Shimano MT41 shoes came with textured inserts so the sole of the shoe was flat until the insert was removed. My newer Giro Rumble shoes have cleats. Cleat covers fit over the cleats and are to keep the cleat from scratching floors. I do not think it does any harm to a shoe to simply not install cleats if you don't need them. Yes, absolutely, the rigid construction of a cycling shoe is of benefit, with, or without, cleats.
I'd disagree that on a SPD shoe that they are just to keep from scratching the floor. When the cleat is not installed, there isn't anything that might scratch the floor. The mounting holes are well below the depth of the tread on the shoe. The covers are there to keep mud and grime out of the holes and mechanism of the mount for the cleat. Presumably just in case you later wish to put cleats on them.

Even with the cleats on my shoes, the cleats just barely, if at all touch the surface I walk on.

But I'm not sure if those other shoes you are talking about are spd or spd-sl.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 01-16-24, 03:41 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Originally Posted by dvai
Hi all.

Im trying to get my wife some cycling shoes. She may want to start using cleats in the future but I thought getting her a shoe with a more rigid sole (vs the running shoes she uses now on platform pedals).

If yes, they use to have shoes that were "cleat ready" but also came with a cover.

Any suggestions?
Crank Brothers makes some lovely shoes. I have a pair of Stamp Laces that are quite nice which I had gotten to test out and like them wish I had the BOA version but love all of the Stamp pedals I have been using and have a bunch of Crank Brothers tools so I am all in on CB and have been for a while and when these Stamps wear out I will probably end up buying another pair but probably go BOA next time. My Shimano SPD shoes are also quite nice but would be silly for this application as she would be running them on flat pedals so a flat pedal shoe makes more sense.
Old 01-16-24, 04:18 PM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by Iride01
I'd disagree that on a SPD shoe that they are just to keep from scratching the floor. When the cleat is not installed, there isn't anything that might scratch the floor. The mounting holes are well below the depth of the tread on the shoe. The covers are there to keep mud and grime out of the holes and mechanism of the mount for the cleat. Presumably just in case you later wish to put cleats on them.

Even with the cleats on my shoes, the cleats just barely, if at all touch the surface I walk on.

But I'm not sure if those other shoes you are talking about are spd or spd-sl.
What you are describing are the plugs that I mentioned earlier and, yes, those are to keep mud and such out of the holes. When you have cleats installed, you can buy cleat covers that keep your cleats from marring wood and linoleum floors. My cleats definitely need them. They do not adequately recess into the sole of the shoe. Both shoes are old fashioned SPD.
Old 01-16-24, 09:46 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
SPD touring shoes (no cleats) with rubber soles can be used with toe clips and straps, or half clips on quill road pedals. Not as solid a connection, but “generally” stay put.

John
Old 01-17-24, 04:26 PM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by mia_davis
I know that for women's cycling shoes with shoe covers, there are several options to suit different preferences and riding styles.
Personally, I can recommend the Shimano SH-RP2W women's road cycling shoes.
In fact, these are entry-level road bike shoes designed for comfort and efficiency. Therefore, even beginners will be quite comfortable.
Compatible with 3-bolt mounting systems commonly used for road bikes.
You can use them with optional spike pads for protection.
Road shoes are definitely the road (nyuk) less traveled by the majority. Even some fairly road oriented rec-racers opt for SPD shoes for their ... walkability. I wouldn't even want to guess by how much 2-bolt SPD shoes outsell the 3-bolt variety but it's pretty wide. And, as an earlier poster mentioned, you can find SPD shoes that don't even accept cleats, that's a thing. What bike do you use those shoes with? Just idle curiosity. Feel free to ignore the question.
Old 01-17-24, 08:35 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1964 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Shimano low end mountain shoes. Dirt cheap, well made, walks well, rides excellently.
Likes For Yan:
Old 01-17-24, 09:16 PM
Billlyy

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Mtb shoes

5-10 mountain bike shoes an pedals with little pins we both have them , nice an firm an never have to worry about un-clipping !!!
70 YO

Pedals

Last edited by Billlyy; 01-17-24 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-18-24, 01:53 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
QUOTE=dvai;23131031]Hi all.

Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

yes - the benefit can be a stiffer sole - better for power transfer - and can prevent injury to foot (plantar fascia and related)

and they can also save your good tennis / running shoes which are often more expensive than low-to-mid level bike shoes

as mentioned in prev post by Yan @Yan - Shimano low end mountain bike shoes are a good option

Pearl Izumi, Bontrager, Specialized, etc also offer these types of shoes

the sole plug should be in the shoe when cleats are not used - they provide additional surface area and sole rigidity when attached

attached pics above

top two pics are Pearl Izumi shoes (Trans Alp models - can’t recall specific models)

third pic from top is an older Shimano CTxx shoe … CT40 or CT71 … can’t recall specific model … they were offered with laces, laces and velcro straps, and speed pull closures (depending on model)

bottom pics are a more recent Shimano MT7 shoe … this shoe is a level above the CT model shoes … stiffer sole with BOA enclosure etc

Last edited by t2p; 01-18-24 at 02:09 AM.
Old 01-18-24, 03:42 AM
daniell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by dvai
Hi all.

Any suggestions?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005M9BRPG...v_ov_lig_dp_it