Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Cyclocross Racing
Reload this Page >

Why doesn't the Racer's Forum have a gravel racing sub-forum?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross Racing Discuss pro racing, the big races, and even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Why doesn't the Racer's Forum have a gravel racing sub-forum?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-24, 08:26 AM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by sir_crash_alot

My gravel race rig! Done, and dusted.
Nicely done! That's a racy looking ride.
Old 03-11-24, 08:39 AM
sir_crash_alot
Noob Bee

Bikes: Specialized Crux, Winspace SLC 2.0, Giant TCR Alliance

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Sierra_rider
Nicely done! That's a racy looking ride.
It is a faster bike than I am a rider!
Old 03-11-24, 08:47 AM
sir_crash_alot
Noob Bee

Changes I will be making after my first ride:
1. that Topeak top tube bag is far too stiff for ease of access in a race scenario. Will be replaced with either a Revelate MagTank or an Apidura Racing bag.
2. I don't mind the eggbeaters, but I'll be switching to the Look X-Track pedals, largely because I already use Look pedals on my road bike, and have the long-term goal of getting the new power meter pedals from Look which allow me to switch out the sensing spindle from pedal body to pedal body.
3. Seymour, the stuffed red panda attached to my seat, needs a) a more secure harness, and b) a pair of goggles. Any ideas I'm all ears.

Why do I intend to bring Seymour with me? In the words of Sarah Sturm: "It's supposed to be fun!". It's Seymour's job to remind me that I should never put watts ahead of fun.
Old 03-27-24, 02:45 PM
sir_crash_alot
Noob Bee

So I learned that my first gravel race this season is more of a time trial, i.e. no mass start, just whether you want to be timed or not, and then you start throughout the day of the event. So I was thinking: what if I went max TT aero for a gravel bike?

And I kinda liked the idea.

Actually, I fell in love with the idea.

So I'm starting an experiment with what might be called an "eccentric" build, because life is too short to approach it overly cautiously. It'll be interesting trying to figure out the middle ground between aero and control, so "experiment" is appropriate.

Stay tuned!
Old 03-27-24, 03:31 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
So I learned that my first gravel race this season is more of a time trial, i.e. no mass start, just whether you want to be timed or not, and then you start throughout the day of the event. So I was thinking: what if I went max TT aero for a gravel bike?

And I kinda liked the idea.

Actually, I fell in love with the idea.

So I'm starting an experiment with what might be called an "eccentric" build, because life is too short to approach it overly cautiously. It'll be interesting trying to figure out the middle ground between aero and control, so "experiment" is appropriate.

Stay tuned!
Interesting. I wasn't aware that kind of event existed. Please share pics.

An event I did last year (Bovine Classic in Atascadero, CA) included timed segments. The winner was the rider with the lowest combined time for the segments. How fast or slow you rode between segments didn't matter.
Old 03-28-24, 08:26 AM
sir_crash_alot
Noob Bee

Originally Posted by Eric F
Interesting. I wasn't aware that kind of event existed. Please share pics.

An event I did last year (Bovine Classic in Atascadero, CA) included timed segments. The winner was the rider with the lowest combined time for the segments. How fast or slow you rode between segments didn't matter.
I do hope that gravel time trials become a more common event type. There would have to be some things figured out though, as gravel events tend to be really long and it may be against the ethos of gravel in some ways, but a part of me thinks it might be cool for those who are speed-oriented.
Old 04-02-24, 08:30 AM
sir_crash_alot
Noob Bee

Is this even still gravel racing?
Asking for a friend.
Likes For sir_crash_alot:
Old 04-02-24, 10:10 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts

Is this even still gravel racing?
Asking for a friend.
I've seen whackier stuff from bike folks. That said, I don't think it's a choice I would make for myself, but you do you, man.
Old 04-02-24, 11:03 AM
sir_crash_alot
Noob Bee

Originally Posted by Eric F
I've seen whackier stuff from bike folks. That said, I don't think it's a choice I would make for myself, but you do you, man.
I am definitely living my bliss, haha. In any case it'll be eye-catching. It's also a good opportunity to have a display board for some of the ideas I believe in with regards to not just gravel ride/race, but society more generally. There will be a big pride flag on that giant disc wheel, haha.
Old 04-07-24, 09:03 AM
sir_crash_alot
Noob Bee

Aero gravel bike

I've put about 100 miles on this bad boy, and am preparing to take it into race season. I've been trying to spend as much time in the aero bars, and get used to handling the dish wheel in wind. Results have been promising, as it just feels good. Not sure if it makes me faster overall (the bike is undeniably a bit on the heftier side, but I think that it was never going to be the lightest gravel bike given the choice of comfort+robustness over outright weight savings, e.g. alloy handlebar+stem, the CFR leafspring seatpost, and Force groupset, plus not the lightest carbon wheels in the world).

Is it eccentric? Absolutely. Faster? maybe.

But most importantly, is it mine?

Yes.
Old 04-12-24, 06:17 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
Just saying. Given the rise of gravel racing, it feels weird to not have a racing sub-forum dedicated to it.

(p.s. felt like this was the right forum to post this as it is one of the closer disciplines to gravel).
Given the current state of participation on BF, I think there really needs to be fewer sub forums, not more.

Many sub forums go days without a post, which discourages people from checking in, which exacerbates the problem.

If I were BF, I would merge most if not all the racing sub forums into the 33. You could always create gravel specific threads in one overarching forum

Also as racing is going in the US, it appears that for many people, in many locations, gravel racing is replacing, or at least passing traditional USAC road racing.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 04-12-24, 10:02 AM
sir_crash_alot
Noob Bee

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Given the current state of participation on BF, I think there really needs to be fewer sub forums, not more.

Many sub forums go days without a post, which discourages people from checking in, which exacerbates the problem.

If I were BF, I would merge most if not all the racing sub forums into the 33. You could always create gravel specific threads in one overarching forum

Also as racing is going in the US, it appears that for many people, in many locations, gravel racing is replacing, or at least passing traditional USAC road racing.
I would agree that there are a lot of sub-forums, which does make it harder to keep up in general at times. Regardless of if/how consolidation happens, a sensible place for people to talk about gravel racing would be great. Until then, this thread will have to suffice I suppose.

I did not actually think I was going to do gravel racing, but there just are not many road races in the upper midwest anymore it seems, especially those reasonably close to where I live. It's exciting though to have moved into the gravel space (while keeping a toe in the road scene), as I am enjoying the versatility of the gravel bike.