Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-09, 02:30 PM
CSam49

Bikes: 2008 Jamis Coda

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
50+ Rider Checks In

I'm a few weeks short of being 60 years old. I ride a 21.5" steel-framed Jamis Coda. I take Calcium supplements for my brittle bones. I only started riding a few months ago to help rehab from a total hip replacement (left hip). I weigh 250 lbs, but I regularly ride 20 miles daily in the hills in the 4 towns around my house. If I'm at home for a whole week, I'l put in 100 miles a week on my bike. I travel a lot, so I don't get the 100 miles a week if I'm traveling. I always carry a bottle of ice water, spare inner tube, a patch kit, a small tool kit, and Co2 cartridges for re-filling a flat tie.
Old 07-26-09, 05:07 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Welcome CSam49!
Old 07-26-09, 09:50 AM
raypsi
electronic wizard

Bikes: schwinn traveler III

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
50+ what?

Ima 59 1/2 can't get my pension 'til 60 wtf? <grin>

I don't have to take supplements but have been a hard hitter on coral calcium, or calcium with OJ, haven't got sick in 6 years, and it shows in my blood work and EKG of a normal person.

Slowed down? you got to be kidding nothing like the fast pace of bike riding. And people telling me to get off the road with my bike.

Started when I was 7 yrs old with a 26" Rollfast.

Heck I thought 5 miles was the limit. Later found out there is no limit. <grin> I do it all, when I can find time.

Most of the time I'm on a bike now a days, least I do is 26 miles a week to get to the part time job, about 3,000 miles a year.

Later OM
Old 07-30-09, 01:31 PM
gamecock

Bikes: Rivendell--Sam Hilleborne, the only one I need.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Age 57

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?

Trek 4.2, but thinking about another road bike

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

LMAO--Zocor 40 mg/day, Niaspan750 mg/day, Ibuprofen 1600mg/day, Dualtab (multivitamin), Fish Oil 650EPA 4/day, Aspirin 81 mg/day, Glucosamine/Chondroitin 4/day

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? Yes, I'm much slower than I was at 35.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? Got my first bike for my third birthday, and wore out four bikes delivering newspapers before my 17th birthday.

I rode very little from 97-09. Had a little chest discomfort in March, and decided to start back. Lost about 25 lbs., bought the Trek to "cruise" around town, and remembered how much I loved riding. From 86-97 I tried the Assault on Mt. Mitchell 11 times and made it 9. I rode 5-6 K miles/year. Since mid-May I have ridden 450 miles, and hope to hit 1500 this year.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.

I try to get 20 miles 3-4 times per week. I am in emergency services with a take home car and can't commute. I do my weekly shopping on the bike, and "cruise" around the 'hood in addition.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? see above
Old 07-30-09, 02:10 PM
panther71

Bikes: Gary Fisher Capitola

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I turned 60 this past January and realized I needed to get more exercise. With very bad feet I have to select an activity that keeps me off my feet. I used to swim, but for economic reasons I had to give up my YMCA membership.

I've finally taken out my bike that has been sitting in my garage for several years and started recreational cycling for about a half an hour every two or three days. I hope to build up my endurance and muscles to cycle more often and more distances.
Old 08-07-09, 12:25 AM
Willbrewer
Magnum Propulsion

Bikes: Trek 6700 MTB, Ironhorse Cyclone Road, Gary Fisher Tasajara MTB - bent and retired

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be 52 in October. I rode bikes a little when I was a kid, then quit. Started back up about 10 years ago, and got into mountain biking. I hit it hard for 5 or 6 years, and since then it's been kind of hit and miss. I've had a bad left hip all my life, and it was giving me problems, so last year, March '08 I had the bad joint replaced with a nice, shiny cobalt steel hip joint. My doc gave me the ok to start riding again in May, and I was doing real good for a while, doing 30 mile rides fairly often.

Then on July 4, I was riding through town to a 4th of July party (on my bike), cruising along at 15 mph or so, and I saw a blur of brown and black hit my front wheel. I remember going down, then hearing my helmet hit the pavement, and then coming to on my back, with my legs twisted around my bike frame. Took me several minutes to get my bearings and check myself out, when I found a big lump on my left thigh, right where my new hip joint was. And actually that's where I landed...square on my left side, on my new hip. I was worried my femur snapped, but luckily the lump was a hematoma. A big hematoma, that eventually got about as big as a half a canteloupe. It had to be drained several times, and the first two times, over a liter of fluid was sucked out.

What caused me to go down was a big rotweiller dog. It was following behind a van, and just as the van started to pass me, the dog decided to swing around to the passenger side of the vehicle, and evidently didn't see me at all, or in time to stop, and knocked my front wheel out from under me.

Since then, I haven't rode much. I tried riding a few times, but never felt inspired to keep it up. But now I'm doing pretty good, and have been riding regularly since the first part of June. The first few rides were only a mile or two, but I've been able to do longer and longer rides, and last Sunday I rode my first 100 mile day since August of '05. So that's my story.

I have an old Gary Fisher Tasajara that I started with 10 years ago, and it's bent and retired. My new mtb is a Trek 6700, which is very comfortable. I have an Iron Horse Cyclone road bike that never really felt right to me. I need to upgrade to a better road ride.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

LOL. I take a variety of vitamins: One a Day multivitamin, C, E, Bcomplex, Fish oil, Garlic oil, Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc supplements, glucosamine chondroitin, aspirin (or lortabs) for pain, which is much less since I've started riding again. I think that's about it.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?

I'm still getting better at this point, since I was out of shape. I went out to Moab last month for a few days, and tried to do Slickrock trail, but it scared me. Last time I went, back in '99 I think, I was about 80 pounds lighter and did the trail twice in one day, and felt great. Now, with the extra weight and weaker muscles, (and new body parts) I didn't want to take a chance on falling on that sandstone. So I turned around and went back to my car. So I guess I have "slowed down".

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?

Like I said above, about 10 years, with the last few off and on riding. Back when I was a kid, I rode about 5 miles to my Grandma's house, and a collie bit me on my butt. I think that was the last time I rode as a kid. Danged dogs.

I like to do long rides, and I like to do hills. But since there are basically no hills where I'm at, I have to settle for fighting the headwinds instead, which can be quite challenging too. I'm going to ride an organized century ride in September. But I like to do easy rides too. And sprints and intervals. I mix it up.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?

I've been riding 4 or 5 days a week this last couple of months. I haven't rode an entire year in a long time, so I can't say what my annual mileage is. But I put a new computer on my bike a couple weeks ago, and the ODO reads 190 miles.

Have a good one,

Bill
Old 08-07-09, 02:17 PM
MDW612

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, here is my first contribution.

Some questions:

Fuji Pro Road bike, Giant Se MTN Bike, Mongoose Tandem awaiting delivery( in order to get the better half out on the weekends)

Vitamins and few recent scripts at the bequest of the medical profession

From 1974 to 1978 worked as a bike mechanic at the Jersey Shore. off the bikes with any regularity from 1981 to 1998, started riding from 2001 to 2004 off and on, from 2004 to present dealing with atrial fib, now with new CRT and new valves I am waiting the OK to get back out and ride.

See #3

Anywhere from 10 to 25 miles when I am cycling with consistency

No kept records available

Perhaps you might indicate your age on your reply??

I turned 51 this year in June, at age 9 I had open heart surgery to correct a congenital heart defect, cycling provided me the conditioning to re-cooperate successfully to Good health, 2004 I had a pacemaker implanted to correct atrial fibrillation, 2008 they upgraded the device to a pacemaker defibrillator cardiac resynchronization device, May of this year I underwent Open Heart Surgery to repair the mitral valve and implant the pulmonary valve, five weeks after I underwent a second procedure to reset the CRT-D device leads which were dislodged from the OHS, at present I am still on the recover period with 5 weeks to go as I type, with the hope to get back into cycling and strengthen my body. heck it's a goal.
Old 08-07-09, 08:10 PM
feymanfan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
- 56 years old commuting 10+10 miles 3 days a week on fixed gear Specialized
- Started riding last year to help knees-chrondomalicia (now 90% pain free). Told the bike shop guy I wanted to commute and get exercise and he asked if I had considered fixed gear, which I had not heard of. Bought a Langster, and have stopped in a few times to thank him since.
- Started freewheel (flip flop) at 42/18 w/clips, then fixed 42/18 w/clips, then speedplay, then fixed 42/17, and soon will be fixed 42/16. Knees and hills will prevent going higher.
- Just love it, and I'm in the best shape since ??, and a real adrenalin rush
- Seems like I'm slowly getting the stuff I thought I would never get. Bike shoes/cleats first, then bike shorts (actually use tri shorts with less padding for my typical <1 hour rides) baggies would hook on the seat on downhills, pretty spooky). Always wear helmet (skateboard pro-tec ace, I just can't do a bike helmet) and gloves. Just bought lights today so I can ride later into fall, the wife does not know about riding in the dark yet and will not be happy.

Old 08-11-09, 01:18 PM
Sinker
Smarter Than He Looks

Bikes: Shopping

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I turned 50 in April 2009. I've got a couple of herniated discs (one lumbar, one cervical). In the spring of 2007 I decided to become less sedentary. I bought a Cannondale hard tail mtn bike and started hitting up the great local trails. It didn't take long and I was addicted. Since then I've lost about 20 lbs and feel better than I have in y ears. This past winter I upgraded to a Gary Fisher HiFi full suspension, and my back thanks me! Sometimes after a few days of rain the trails are in bad shape, but the roads are fine, so I bought a Scott Speedster S40 last week.

2007 Gary Fisher HiFi
2009 Scott Speedster S40

MultiVitamin, Glucosamine, Fish Oil and METAMUCIL!!

Hard to say, as I'm in better shape than I've been in 20 years. I do know that a really hard effort requires more than 24 hours recovery. Also, the occasional mtn bike fall hurts more than I think it should.

Two years.

On the mtn bike, I try to get in a couple of 10 mile rides/week and one 15 mile ride each weekend.
I've only been on one road bike ride so far, so I don't know yet.

2 or 3x a week, but that will likely increase with the addition of the road bike. I did about 800 miles on the mtn bike last year.
Old 08-11-09, 01:57 PM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I am 57 have been riding seriously since I was 20, although, at a recent family holiday dinner, my cousins reminded me that I had been riding their legs off since I was a child. So, I guess it's been forever, with a few years off for high school. I started by riding to college classes and work because I had an office job and couldn't stand to sit around all day. Most of my riding today is utility and a few light tours, did some triathalons when I was younger, but I'm just not that kind of competitor. It's the pleasure of pedaling with nothing to prove.

1:What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?
1985 Trek 500
2007 Jamis Commuter
1976 Raleigh Super Course Mixte (which I just found on CL and am rebuilding as a summer utility with the Commuter wheels)

2o you take any special supplements...as you get older?
What I have all my life; a multivitamin, multimineral, E, but now for joint pain I have found Tart Red Cherry Juice is a great anti inflammatory. Oh yeah, Beeer!

3: How much do you feel you have slowed down, if any?
No, but then speed has never been a priority.
4:How long have you been biking...?
Forever. It's just the way I live.
5:What type of biking do you do?
Mainly utility riding, to the grocery store, hardware store, post office, bank etc. Maybe one pleasure cruise of 20-30 miles out to a local festival or restaurant per week. I try to make one extended camping tour a year if not, several weekend trips.
6: How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?
4-5 times per week about 125 miles a week during April-October, less in the winter months.
About 4-5 thousand miles a year.
Old 08-12-09, 09:45 AM
blove

Bikes: Raleigh Venture 3.0, Comfort Bike (8/8/09)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Over 60 and back in the saddle.

Turned 64 in June of this year. Took up biking again 4 months ago. Average onl 3-4 miles a day till I get back in to shape.

Just purchase a Raleigh, Venture 3.0 comfort bike, 20" frame - it fits my 6'1" 250 lbs frame nicely and has a very nice soft saddle. LOL

Too many meds to mention due to HBP and Diabetis, LOL but do take Tylenol Arthritis Pain 650 2-2td Aspirin 81 mg/day, Glucosamine/Chondroitin 4/day

Oh, so much slower than when I was even 50. Had spinal fusion 8 years ago and now have degenertive arthritis of one disk above the surgery

I don't recall the last time I was on a bike. I know I was teenager. Haven't forgotten how though.

Currently doing short rec rides, but hope to extend that to longer ones as I get into shape.

At least every other day for 30 mins - distance might change depending on the route and how much of it is uphill lol. ..just started again so no annual to report yet, but am keeping track.
Old 08-12-09, 12:34 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

WOW, so many new posts to this thread. Welcome one and all. Enjoy the forum, and, mist of all, enjoy your riding!

Originally Posted by MDW612
So, here is my first contribution.

Some questions:

Fuji Pro Road bike, Giant Se MTN Bike, Mongoose Tandem awaiting delivery( in order to get the better half out on the weekends)

Vitamins and few recent scripts at the bequest of the medical profession

From 1974 to 1978 worked as a bike mechanic at the Jersey Shore. off the bikes with any regularity from 1981 to 1998, started riding from 2001 to 2004 off and on, from 2004 to present dealing with atrial fib, now with new CRT and new valves I am waiting the OK to get back out and ride.

See #3

Anywhere from 10 to 25 miles when I am cycling with consistency

No kept records available

Perhaps you might indicate your age on your reply??

I turned 51 this year in June, at age 9 I had open heart surgery to correct a congenital heart defect, cycling provided me the conditioning to re-cooperate successfully to Good health, 2004 I had a pacemaker implanted to correct atrial fibrillation, 2008 they upgraded the device to a pacemaker defibrillator cardiac resynchronization device, May of this year I underwent Open Heart Surgery to repair the mitral valve and implant the pulmonary valve, five weeks after I underwent a second procedure to reset the CRT-D device leads which were dislodged from the OHS, at present I am still on the recover period with 5 weeks to go as I type, with the hope to get back into cycling and strengthen my body. heck it's a goal.
Originally Posted by feymanfan
- 56 years old commuting 10+10 miles 3 days a week on fixed gear Specialized
- Started riding last year to help knees-chrondomalicia (now 90% pain free). Told the bike shop guy I wanted to commute and get exercise and he asked if I had considered fixed gear, which I had not heard of. Bought a Langster, and have stopped in a few times to thank him since.
- Started freewheel (flip flop) at 42/18 w/clips, then fixed 42/18 w/clips, then speedplay, then fixed 42/17, and soon will be fixed 42/16. Knees and hills will prevent going higher.
- Just love it, and I'm in the best shape since ??, and a real adrenalin rush
- Seems like I'm slowly getting the stuff I thought I would never get. Bike shoes/cleats first, then bike shorts (actually use tri shorts with less padding for my typical <1 hour rides) baggies would hook on the seat on downhills, pretty spooky). Always wear helmet (skateboard pro-tec ace, I just can't do a bike helmet) and gloves. Just bought lights today so I can ride later into fall, the wife does not know about riding in the dark yet and will not be happy.

Originally Posted by Sinker
I turned 50 in April 2009. I've got a couple of herniated discs (one lumbar, one cervical). In the spring of 2007 I decided to become less sedentary. I bought a Cannondale hard tail mtn bike and started hitting up the great local trails. It didn't take long and I was addicted. Since then I've lost about 20 lbs and feel better than I have in y ears. This past winter I upgraded to a Gary Fisher HiFi full suspension, and my back thanks me! Sometimes after a few days of rain the trails are in bad shape, but the roads are fine, so I bought a Scott Speedster S40 last week.

2007 Gary Fisher HiFi
2009 Scott Speedster S40

MultiVitamin, Glucosamine, Fish Oil and METAMUCIL!!

Hard to say, as I'm in better shape than I've been in 20 years. I do know that a really hard effort requires more than 24 hours recovery. Also, the occasional mtn bike fall hurts more than I think it should.

Two years.

On the mtn bike, I try to get in a couple of 10 mile rides/week and one 15 mile ride each weekend.
I've only been on one road bike ride so far, so I don't know yet.

2 or 3x a week, but that will likely increase with the addition of the road bike. I did about 800 miles on the mtn bike last year.
Originally Posted by irwin7638
I am 57 have been riding seriously since I was 20, although, at a recent family holiday dinner, my cousins reminded me that I had been riding their legs off since I was a child. So, I guess it's been forever, with a few years off for high school. I started by riding to college classes and work because I had an office job and couldn't stand to sit around all day. Most of my riding today is utility and a few light tours, did some triathalons when I was younger, but I'm just not that kind of competitor. It's the pleasure of pedaling with nothing to prove.

1:What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?
1985 Trek 500
2007 Jamis Commuter
1976 Raleigh Super Course Mixte (which I just found on CL and am rebuilding as a summer utility with the Commuter wheels)

2o you take any special supplements...as you get older?
What I have all my life; a multivitamin, multimineral, E, but now for joint pain I have found Tart Red Cherry Juice is a great anti inflammatory. Oh yeah, Beeer!

3: How much do you feel you have slowed down, if any?
No, but then speed has never been a priority.
4:How long have you been biking...?
Forever. It's just the way I live.
5:What type of biking do you do?
Mainly utility riding, to the grocery store, hardware store, post office, bank etc. Maybe one pleasure cruise of 20-30 miles out to a local festival or restaurant per week. I try to make one extended camping tour a year if not, several weekend trips.
6: How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?
4-5 times per week about 125 miles a week during April-October, less in the winter months.
About 4-5 thousand miles a year.
Originally Posted by blove
Turned 64 in June of this year. Took up biking again 4 months ago. Average onl 3-4 miles a day till I get back in to shape.

Just purchase a Raleigh, Venture 3.0 comfort bike, 20" frame - it fits my 6'1" 250 lbs frame nicely and has a very nice soft saddle. LOL

Too many meds to mention due to HBP and Diabetis, LOL but do take Tylenol Arthritis Pain 650 2-2td Aspirin 81 mg/day, Glucosamine/Chondroitin 4/day

Oh, so much slower than when I was even 50. Had spinal fusion 8 years ago and now have degenertive arthritis of one disk above the surgery

I don't recall the last time I was on a bike. I know I was teenager. Haven't forgotten how though.

Currently doing short rec rides, but hope to extend that to longer ones as I get into shape.

At least every other day for 30 mins - distance might change depending on the route and how much of it is uphill lol. ..just started again so no annual to report yet, but am keeping track.
Old 08-14-09, 12:30 PM
bill_pfaff

Bikes: Treks 7300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New guy

Thought I’d answer your questions as requested.

Trek 7300

C, Fish Oil, Garlic, CQ10 or some such thing the wife buys

Too much

On and off my whole life but started it back as a regular activity last spring (2008)

<= 20 miles. Live in Delaware which is basically flatlands however; our rollers seem like mountains to me.

Try to ride four times a week. Have only been back at it for two years. Last season it was about 175 miles, this year I have already passed 220 miles. Hope to increase it again next year.

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.

Turned 60 last month.

Bill
Old 08-15-09, 10:19 AM
rtclark53@sbcgl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a Bianchi special with 700 mm wheels and a Peugeot px10 with 700 mm wheels

fish oil, vitamin E, potassium, B complex, + a multivitamin

yes, I zonk out after finishing a 25 mile ride.

Most of my life

touring and recreational >30 miles

every day about 3000 miles

I commute to work on my bike (about 9 miles round trip)
Old 08-15-09, 04:54 PM
Clarke Kent

Bikes: Trek Y-Five-O, Cuevas hand built frame, all Campy Super Record Gruppo.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old Fart questions

I have several bikes which i havent ridden in quite a while, hence i am fat!! but i am working on it. i have a trek y five 0, from 1998, which is almost perfect, and lightly ridden, till i get my new shoes. the other is a francisco cuevas frame, with all campy super record
not yet, but i probably should.
just in that i have weight to lose
197 years (since i was 4)
painful, wheezing, getting back in shape rides, which will hopefully get easier as i get fit
i start tomorrow, for real, as now it is 91 degrees, and i might die. i will hopefully upgrade this in a few weeks.
Old 08-20-09, 07:47 PM
Patrick61

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age.

Have a road, track, downhill mountain, trail hardtail, and two bmx.

Very little red meat. Heavy on grains and veggies.

I feel I have slowed down a great deal from my earlier days, however, I would still be reguarded as an active person.

Have biked my entire life. Sometimes a lot, other times mostly to relax.

Most miles are put on riding trails. A good amount of time lately has been spend learning new bmx moves.
Rarely ride my track bike and the road only when I go out with a group.

Mostly everyday. Probably around 2500.
Old 08-21-09, 05:12 PM
JazNine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
> Please tell us your age.

> 1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?

Italian steel road bike, circa 1989.

> 2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

Psyllium, saw palmetto, beer, Clif bars.

> 3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?

I'm slower but I could be faster. I'm starting to feel a little chippy lately since I've been riding a lot more miles. I hope to God I don't get the racing bug.

> 5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.

Road bike, 16-32 miles per ride, 5 days a week through the summer. Two days a week minimum otherwise. The motor has responded decently to drastically increased weekly bike mileage. I feel strong. I'm starting to ponder intervals ... what the hell is wrong with me?

> 6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?

I averaged 6,000 miles a year for a decade but that was 20 years ago. Then it became 2,000 miles a year, plus a lot of walking. When the bike is happening I aim for 4-5 days a week, somewhere near 100 miles. When it's not happening it's 32 miles a week and not enough miles to feel good about it. I'd need 250 miles a week to be at my best. I wouldn't be great but I would be ok.

> If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.

I don't really care for the number 55, which I remind you is my current age. 55 reminds me of the Carter years, 55 mph on the freeways, odd-even gasoline rationing, helicopters crashing into deserts. I'll be glad to be 56.
Old 08-21-09, 05:20 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by Patrick61
Please tell us your age.

Have a road, track, downhill mountain, trail hardtail, and two bmx.

Very little red meat. Heavy on grains and veggies.

I feel I have slowed down a great deal from my earlier days, however, I would still be reguarded as an active person.

Have biked my entire life. Sometimes a lot, other times mostly to relax.

Most miles are put on riding trails. A good amount of time lately has been spend learning new bmx moves.
Rarely ride my track bike and the road only when I go out with a group.

Mostly everyday. Probably around 2500.
Originally Posted by JazNine
> Please tell us your age.

> 1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?

Italian steel road bike, circa 1989.

> 2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

Psyllium, saw palmetto, beer, Clif bars.

> 3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?

I'm slower but I could be faster. I'm starting to feel a little chippy lately since I've been riding a lot more miles. I hope to God I don't get the racing bug.

> 5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.

Road bike, 16-32 miles per ride, 5 days a week through the summer. Two days a week minimum otherwise. The motor has responded decently to drastically increased weekly bike mileage. I feel strong. I'm starting to ponder intervals ... what the hell is wrong with me?

> 6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?

I averaged 6,000 miles a year for a decade but that was 20 years ago. Then it became 2,000 miles a year, plus a lot of walking. When the bike is happening I aim for 4-5 days a week, somewhere near 100 miles. When it's not happening it's 32 miles a week and not enough miles to feel good about it. I'd need 250 miles a week to be at my best. I wouldn't be great but I would be ok.

> If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.

I don't really care for the number 55, which I remind you is my current age. 55 reminds me of the Carter years, 55 mph on the freeways, odd-even gasoline rationing, helicopters crashing into deserts. I'll be glad to be 56.
Originally Posted by Clarke Kent
I have several bikes which i havent ridden in quite a while, hence i am fat!! but i am working on it. i have a trek y five 0, from 1998, which is almost perfect, and lightly ridden, till i get my new shoes. the other is a francisco cuevas frame, with all campy super record
not yet, but i probably should.
just in that i have weight to lose
197 years (since i was 4)
painful, wheezing, getting back in shape rides, which will hopefully get easier as i get fit
i start tomorrow, for real, as now it is 91 degrees, and i might die. i will hopefully upgrade this in a few weeks.
Originally Posted by rtclark53@sbcgl
I ride a Bianchi special with 700 mm wheels and a Peugeot px10 with 700 mm wheels

fish oil, vitamin E, potassium, B complex, + a multivitamin

yes, I zonk out after finishing a 25 mile ride.

Most of my life

touring and recreational >30 miles

every day about 3000 miles

I commute to work on my bike (about 9 miles round trip)
Originally Posted by bill_pfaff
Thought I’d answer your questions as requested.

Trek 7300

C, Fish Oil, Garlic, CQ10 or some such thing the wife buys

Too much

On and off my whole life but started it back as a regular activity last spring (2008)

<= 20 miles. Live in Delaware which is basically flatlands however; our rollers seem like mountains to me.

Try to ride four times a week. Have only been back at it for two years. Last season it was about 175 miles, this year I have already passed 220 miles. Hope to increase it again next year.

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.

Turned 60 last month.

Bill

Welcome

Patrick
JazNine
rtclark53@sbcgl
bill_pfaff

Just wanted you to know that someone is reading this thread and appreciates your input.

Have fun, mostly.
Old 08-23-09, 01:53 PM
wuzzer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Giant ocr 3.

Multi Vitamins and some Mg/Ca/Zn

Had to cut back lots for almost a year due to drug induced tendon issues. Now after retraining myself my average speed is a bit faster than 10 years ago

Biking all my life, started taking it seriously 20 years ago when I junked my last car.

Rides: errands, etc and training rides.

I ride daily, train 4-5 days/week, between 3-5000 mpy
Old 09-02-09, 04:05 PM
ZmanKC

Bikes: 1999 Giant TCR 2T 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2015 Giant Anyroad 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Giant Cypress DX

Geezer multi-vitamins

A lot. I had gained a lot of weight, partially due tomy knees. I've had 6 knee surgeries including a knee replacement.

I've biked on and off for most of my life untill about 15 years ago. Never anything serious. I started back when I bought my bike this spring.

I generally bike from 12 to 25 miles, either on mostly residential streets or designated bike trails.

I try to get out at least 5 days per week since I started in late March. I ridden the last 12 days straight and have covered a little over 200 miles in that time. I'm up to 907 miles total and should pass 1,000 next week.

I've lost 55 lbs since the first of the year and want to lose 30 more. I'm currently 56 years old.
Old 09-02-09, 04:14 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by wuzzer

Giant ocr 3.

Multi Vitamins and some Mg/Ca/Zn

Had to cut back lots for almost a year due to drug induced tendon issues. Now after retraining myself my average speed is a bit faster than 10 years ago

Biking all my life, started taking it seriously 20 years ago when I junked my last car.

Rides: errands, etc and training rides.

I ride daily, train 4-5 days/week, between 3-5000 mpy
Originally Posted by ZmanKC

Giant Cypress DX

Geezer multi-vitamins

A lot. I had gained a lot of weight, partially due tomy knees. I've had 6 knee surgeries including a knee replacement.

I've biked on and off for most of my life untill about 15 years ago. Never anything serious. I started back when I bought my bike this spring.

I generally bike from 12 to 25 miles, either on mostly residential streets or designated bike trails.

I try to get out at least 5 days per week since I started in late March. I ridden the last 12 days straight and have covered a little over 200 miles in that time. I'm up to 907 miles total and should pass 1,000 next week.

I've lost 55 lbs since the first of the year and want to lose 30 more. I'm currently 56 years old.
Great to have you, wuzzer and ZmanKC!
Old 09-08-09, 11:57 AM
islandboy
touring roadie

Bikes: road & mtn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age.

50 + a few hours

Road bikes mainly

Vitamins with extra calcium to prevent cramps on rides over 70 km.

I am just picking up speed , everyone says I am over the hill

rode a lot in my teens, took time out to raise a family, back at it for ~ 10 years now

Distance road rides and touring

2-5 times a week, 7726 km since my last birthday

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things. 50 is the new 30, I cannot wait till 70 when the hill gets real steep and I can really get going

For more about me check out my website www.kayaks2.com

Last edited by islandboy; 09-08-09 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-10-09, 09:09 AM
dgk02

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm 57. I ride a seven year old Trek 7100 (hybrid).

General multivitamin, Calcium Citrate, Vit C.

I'm pretty slow, average around 10.6 mph. Lots of folks pass me going up the Queensboro Bridge but I'm quick going down!

I biked as a kid but after two bikes got stolen at college I gave it up. I bought a house fourteen years ago and it came with a bike, so I had it fixed up and started riding a little. Around ten years ago I decided to get a mountain bike and got a Trek 7000. It never really fit right and mostly hangs on the wall in the garage. Oh, I broke an ankle on that guy when I tried it on a real mountain. My surgeon suggested that I "don't do that again". I wasn't sure whether he was referring to breaking the ankle or biking on a mountain so I decided to avoid both.

Then I decided to start commuting by bike (15 miles each way) and got the 7100. I commute on it two or three times a week, including the winter. I have hotronic toe warmers and battery powered gloves for the really cold parts. Last year I didn't bike if it was under 20F. I guess that's slowing down.

I'm likely to get the Trek 7.3 version next spring. Fenders are a must if commuting in the rain although it's kind of cool to have a light (just ordered the Magicshine one that I saw elsewhere on the forum) if you don't have fenders. Dancing waters shooting up from the tire through the light beam.

Oh, I also have cold cathode (neon) tubes on the various bars during the dark commutes. It looks kind of silly but sure makes me visible.
Old 09-10-09, 03:39 PM
longivas

Bikes: BikeHard carbolite-full campy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here is my contibution
Please tell us your age.
! will be 77 in Oct.(09)

--2006 Bikehard 59cm - full Campagnolo Centaur -Camp wheel G3 - (but I will get a new frame set - I think Scott CR1)

--yes multivitamins every day

-- not really but it get thougher every weeks...!

-- started to (racing) bike about 10 years ago and more seriously since my new bike in 2006

-- anywhere from 15 to 30 miles per ride as hard as I can. My area has some nasty short hills (5 to 10%).

average of 1,200 to 1,500 road miles a year (April thru November and stop at first snow). Then I have an indoor trainer (Elite with screen and program) In addition this year when to the Tour de France and biked Le Mont Ventoux from Sault to Chalet Renard (20km, it took me 1hour 45 minutes on a rented bike Scott CR1 with a 105 Shimano- gear 40x25 all the way ) Grueling but Fantastic. Hope to do it again for my 80ty birthday.
Old 09-11-09, 05:41 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by islandboy
Please tell us your age.

50 + a few hours

Road bikes mainly

Vitamins with extra calcium to prevent cramps on rides over 70 km.

I am just picking up speed , everyone says I am over the hill

rode a lot in my teens, took time out to raise a family, back at it for ~ 10 years now

Distance road rides and touring

2-5 times a week, 7726 km since my last birthday

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things. 50 is the new 30, I cannot wait till 70 when the hill gets real steep and I can really get going

For more about me check out my website www.kayaks2.com
Originally Posted by dgk02
I'm 57. I ride a seven year old Trek 7100 (hybrid).

General multivitamin, Calcium Citrate, Vit C.

I'm pretty slow, average around 10.6 mph. Lots of folks pass me going up the Queensboro Bridge but I'm quick going down!

I biked as a kid but after two bikes got stolen at college I gave it up. I bought a house fourteen years ago and it came with a bike, so I had it fixed up and started riding a little. Around ten years ago I decided to get a mountain bike and got a Trek 7000. It never really fit right and mostly hangs on the wall in the garage. Oh, I broke an ankle on that guy when I tried it on a real mountain. My surgeon suggested that I "don't do that again". I wasn't sure whether he was referring to breaking the ankle or biking on a mountain so I decided to avoid both.

Then I decided to start commuting by bike (15 miles each way) and got the 7100. I commute on it two or three times a week, including the winter. I have hotronic toe warmers and battery powered gloves for the really cold parts. Last year I didn't bike if it was under 20F. I guess that's slowing down.

I'm likely to get the Trek 7.3 version next spring. Fenders are a must if commuting in the rain although it's kind of cool to have a light (just ordered the Magicshine one that I saw elsewhere on the forum) if you don't have fenders. Dancing waters shooting up from the tire through the light beam.

Oh, I also have cold cathode (neon) tubes on the various bars during the dark commutes. It looks kind of silly but sure makes me visible.
Originally Posted by longivas
Here is my contibution
Please tell us your age.
! will be 77 in Oct.(09)

--2006 Bikehard 59cm - full Campagnolo Centaur -Camp wheel G3 - (but I will get a new frame set - I think Scott CR1)

--yes multivitamins every day

-- not really but it get thougher every weeks...!

-- started to (racing) bike about 10 years ago and more seriously since my new bike in 2006

-- anywhere from 15 to 30 miles per ride as hard as I can. My area has some nasty short hills (5 to 10%).

average of 1,200 to 1,500 road miles a year (April thru November and stop at first snow). Then I have an indoor trainer (Elite with screen and program) In addition this year when to the Tour de France and biked Le Mont Ventoux from Sault to Chalet Renard (20km, it took me 1hour 45 minutes on a rented bike Scott CR1 with a 105 Shimano- gear 40x25 all the way ) Grueling but Fantastic. Hope to do it again for my 80ty birthday.
Welcome islandboy, dgk02 and longvas (join us in the 65+ thread!)

Hope you enjoy the 50+ FORUM!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.