Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help Me Pick a Future Proof Road Frame

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Help Me Pick a Future Proof Road Frame

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-24, 10:15 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
I don't know that you can future proof for technology changes at 100%

the technical problem for future proofing is whether parts you use now will be around and whether standards will change

over all I took a different view on future proofing when I got a custom a year ago

my view was less technology and more future fit issues

I kept my technology simple....r8000 11 speed mechanical (knowing I could go sram wireless were I ever to want to
I stuck with dual pivot rim brakes as that would give me a better ride as the fork would not have to be built as heavy and my use case does not really require disc
i went with 1 inch threaded stem as in my mind it will give a bigger range for fits in the future as I age (more) and I think threadless stems by and large have minimal design soul
68mm british BB because with phil woods and others I will always be able to get a BB
I asked the framemaker to make the frame as small as possible for a good fit to allow for shrinking with age

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 02-29-24, 01:29 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
Will 12sp Di2 or Sram even fit on a 130 spaced frame? And does it need special wheels or freehubs? I just haven't kept up on this as I'm getting too old to even need such an upgrade. That shifting difference isn't going to get me around the park any faster, but riding the trainer all winter might.
Nopers. 135. (Edit: this makes me doubt my answer here. I’m going to measure it… they’re right. It is 130. And even then there’s a load of space on the NDS on this axle that I reckon could maybe fit a disc rotor so not even sure the disc version of this bike needs/has 135)
Normal wheels.
Same freehub as 10/11 speed.
I’m hoping the shifting difference (going from 36:28 to 36:34) will make a difference on our annual Leith Hill Octopus :-)

Last edited by choddo; 02-29-24 at 02:07 AM.
Old 02-29-24, 09:24 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
Nopers. 135. (Edit: this makes me doubt my answer here. I’m going to measure it… they’re right. It is 130. And even then there’s a load of space on the NDS on this axle that I reckon could maybe fit a disc rotor so not even sure the disc version of this bike needs/has 135)
Normal wheels.
Same freehub as 10/11 speed.
I’m hoping the shifting difference (going from 36:28 to 36:34) will make a difference on our annual Leith Hill Octopus :-)
I was looking at all the info I could find on Sram 12sp and I couldn't find anything about backward compatibility. They seem to sell it as a new bike groupset that'll fit a 142 spaced thru axle/disk brake frame. But they also sell a brifter set that is 12sp electronic but for cable rim brakes. That says that maybe they can work on an older bike. It would cost about $1k or maybe more to find out, and I'm not looking to find out at that price. My Chorus 10sp still shifts perfectly after 20 years with a g-spring replacement and the occasional cassette replacement. I'm at 13-29 on the cassette and 50-34 up front. It's fine for NYC riding but wouldn't want to do the big climb with it, not at 69 years old.
Likes For zacster:
Old 02-29-24, 10:35 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
My Chorus 10sp still shifts perfectly after 20 years with a g-spring replacement and the occasional cassette replacement. I'm at 13-29 on the cassette and 50-34 up front. It's fine for NYC riding
My Chorus is from 2001 I believe (bought the bike used).

A couple years ago I sent in the right ergo for a rebuild. Can’t remember the price but it was extremely reasonable.

I’ve replaced the pulleys once.

It shifts amazingly.

Maybe 5 years ago I swapped the square taper 53/39 chorus crank for a 50/34 carbon 11sp Chorus crank. I have a 12-30 Veloce cassette and 12-25 Chorus I swap out depending on the day. It was plenty of gearing to ride the Triple Bypass.

It’s still one of the absolute best shifting systems ever in my opinion. For future proof, it does suffer from Campy’s tendency towards proprietary systems. A small stockpile of cassettes, chains, and shifter rebuild kits, and this thing will outlast us all.
Old 03-01-24, 09:36 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I did the same with the crank. I don't think I knew about the 12-30 Veloce, but I'm now looking at theoretically kluging a wide Ultegra 10sp cassette onto an 11sp Shimano wheel. An 11sp wheel has enough extra room to make it Campy compatible, where the older 10sp just didn't, in spite of there being cassettes made like that. In fact I've done this on my trainer which is 11sp freehub but Shimano only. It shifts just fine with my Chorus. It just takes .2mm spacers between all the loose cogs. The connected cogs don't matter enough to make a difference. The one issue though is that the short cage Chorus derailleur may not work with a 32 tooth cog.

But yea, I'm not planning on replacing the system. It's lasted this long and still shifts like new when I put a new chain on and keep it lubed.

Edit: I guess the widest 10sp Ultegra was only 30t anyway, so it wouldn't make much difference. A 12-30 Veloce would work much better.

Last edited by zacster; 03-01-24 at 10:18 AM.