Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Screwed & Glued, ALAN picture thread

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Screwed & Glued, ALAN picture thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-23, 10:53 PM
1simplexnut

Bikes: 1963? Anquetil , 1973 PX10,1979 PX10,1984 PX10, VITUS 979 PX10DU,1970S ALAN,1985 PSV10,1980s PY10FC,1978 bERTIN,ALAN carbon

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 283 Posts
Originally Posted by fabiofarelli
Ah ! so thats what correct fork looks like !
My Carrera came to me with a chromed steel fork .
It now has a ALAN fork fitted (not the same shape as yours . )

I remember seeing a discussion that was questioning if these were actually made by ALAN ?
I have a vague recollection of a name of "Carbon Valley "
Also I have a pic of a Peugeot somewhere in the archives which appears to have the same frame .

Any thoughts on the manufacturer ? ALAN or not ?
Old 04-19-23, 01:27 PM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 997 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by 1simplexnut

I remember seeing a discussion that was questioning if these were actually made by ALAN ?
Also I have a pic of a Peugeot somewhere in the archives which appears to have the same frame .

In my opinion it's hard to say, build by Alan itself or build in consession by (yes) Carbon Valley?
Alan had Carbonios without engravements too (1988/1989) as Carbon Valley never had.

The Carbon Valley build Carbon Green (1992/1993?) and the Donnay Pro 8000 (1991/1992?) don't have internal cable guides but the guides on top of the top tube.

The Carbon Valley build Peugeot PC1000D *1993) has the cable guides under the top tube. The only 'Alan' frames I saw with internal cable guides are from Alan and these, the Carrera.
Early nineties Alan used internal cable guides next to external guides.
Far as I know the Carbon Valley frames were bare, had no transparent lacquer unlike the real Alans. But in this case there's a blue transparent lacquer on the frame, so we cannot check. The decals, by the way, are above the lacquer.
So, hard to say ....
Old 04-19-23, 01:29 PM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Originally Posted by 1simplexnut

In my opinion it's hard to say, build by Alan itself or build in consession by (yes) Carbon Valley?
Alan had Carbonios without engravements too (1988/1989) as Carbon Valley never had.

The Carbon Valley build Carbon Green (1992/1993?) and the Donnay Pro 8000 (1991/1992?) don't have internal cable guides but the guides on top of the top tube.

The Carbon Valley build Peugeot PC1000D (1993) has the cable guides under the top tube. The only 'Alan' frames I saw with internal cable guides are from Alan and these, the Carrera.
Far as I know the Carbon Valley frames were bare, had no transparent lacquer unlike the real Alans. But in this case there's a blue transparent lacquer on the frame, so we cannot check. The decals, by the way, are above the lacquer.
So, hard to say ....
Likes For fabiofarelli:
Old 04-19-23, 01:41 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
You gotta hand it to ALAN.
They were able to sell their framesets to all these other companies.
And after we think we heard of the last of them, more and more keep coming up and if "glued and screwed" construction was suspect, all these companies seemed to not think so.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 04-19-23, 08:14 PM
1simplexnut

Bikes: 1963? Anquetil , 1973 PX10,1979 PX10,1984 PX10, VITUS 979 PX10DU,1970S ALAN,1985 PSV10,1980s PY10FC,1978 bERTIN,ALAN carbon

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 283 Posts
Originally Posted by fabiofarelli

The Carbon Valley build Peugeot PC1000D (1993) has the cable guides under the top tube. The only 'Alan' frames I saw with internal cable guides are from Alan and these, the Carrera.
So, hard to say ....
hi there ,
Thanks for all that information and the pictures .
A couple of observations about my Carrera frame worth mentioning , is that it has three tiny white dots(filled? holes ) on the top of the top tube that look suspiciously like the spacing for top tube cable guides .
Also when I received it, one of the plastic cable guides had popped off showing a very rough hole underneath in the CF tube .
I guess it is not that easy to cut a tidy hole in CF ?

All good fun !
Cheers .
Likes For 1simplexnut:
Old 10-31-23, 08:27 AM
sbarner 
Paramount Fan

Bikes: Paramounts, Raleigh Pros, Colnago, DeRosa, Gios, Masis, Pinarello, R. Sachs, Look, D. Moulton, Witcomb, Motobecane, Bianchis, Fat City, Frejus, Follis, Waterford, Litespeed, d'Autremont, others, mostly '70s-'80s

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by brandonk

I bought one that had a repaired dropout similar to the one pictured above, It held for at least 1k miles before the seat tube broke at the BB. I then had that welded and it was fine for a while until it developed a creak that I could never find. At that point I decided it was time to retire the bike and finally get a good look at the construction of the joints.
This is an old thread, but the photo speaks to why one should not consider an ALAN their "forever bike." There is a significant stress riser designed into the system where the threaded portion transitions to smooth tubing. To reduce the stress here, it appears the engineers counted on support from the extension of the lug beyond the threaded portion, and likely the adhesive that should be between the tube and the lug. If that glue fails, or was never completely there in the first place, the tube will work back and forth at the stress riser and must eventually fail. The downtube has an additional reinforcement in the form of a sleeve inserted inside the tube. You can see that the seat tube must have been assembled into the lugs before the downtube if you study the clearance cuts. I'm sure there are those who would say "I've ridden my ALAN thousands of miles over the decades and haven't had a problem!" but I wouldn't buy one to be more than a "few times a year rider."
Old 11-05-23, 08:10 PM
PBC peugeot

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh international, 1975 Raleigh professional, 1978 ALAN criterium, 1981 Pinnarello Traviso

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
a bit of old news, and while true, it does not detract from the fact they were innovative in there day, and while my 40 plus year old Alan has not failed, I have several steel frames that have.
however I do concede that an Alan is more prone to fail then an equal quality steel frame, a well maintained example can still make a decent daily rider
Likes For PBC peugeot:
Old 02-28-24, 03:00 PM
fabiofarelli

MTB from march 1991, without a fork.
Old 02-28-24, 04:38 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 540 Times in 166 Posts

Likes For mackgoo:
Old 03-28-24, 09:24 AM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked 3,757 Times in 1,842 Posts
Not mine, saw listed for sale -https://offerup.com/item/detail/8337d5ed-d157-3fed-8a14-5903b5d779cd?cid=7.4

Alan Record Carbonio

Last edited by SoCaled; 03-28-24 at 09:25 AM. Reason: i
Likes For SoCaled: