Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

If you could live anywhere in the country...

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

If you could live anywhere in the country...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-07, 07:49 PM
mykrrrr
o harro buttercup

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Sting Ray Deluxe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
34 yrs old. Grew up in the Detroit suburbs. Lived in Ann Arbor for college. Great town especially to cruise around on two wheels but as with any locale, it got stale. Dropped out and went to Bend OR for a winter. Had fun, went broke moved back to A2. Finished school and then moved to Chicago. Loved a lot about Chicago (people, places, summertime) but hated (my commute to the 'corporate' job, traffic, WINTER) Moved back to A2/Detroit suburbs after some self started drama went down with my eX-GF. Just biding my time until this winter when I move to either SF or PacNW.

SF - GREAT weather, family out there. Great vibe in the city. Close to the mountains for winter fun. Always wanted to live there. Was going to move out there after college but my best friend who moved out there before I was going to moved back. Expensive but I'd deal to live there.

PDX - Good vibe in the city. Friends out there. Weather isn't ideal in winter. Close to mountains for winter fun.

SEA - Pretty much same as PDX.

One of my good friends is trying to get me to move to Charlotte NC. I really know nothing about Charlotte. I'm gonna go visit this summer to check the place out. Anyone have experience in Charlotte NC???

If all goes to plan...I'll be in the SF bay area by '08. No more midwest for me (except to visit the rents)
Old 06-06-07, 08:14 PM
justintime8425

Bikes: 07' Biacnchi Pista, 06' Felt Jumpshot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think im the only one to live in asheville. The bike culture here is huge, everyone is riding ss mtn. bikes and i see more and more fixies out around downtown. We have a track here that was actually a race car track. Its been taken over by the local bike shops and nick named the "mellowdrome" because it's not as steep as a true velodrome. The climate is pretty nice here year round. But unfortunately it's really expensive to live here, and the jobs dont pay that well. I feel like it's one of the last real mountain towns left on the east coast. Lots of music and art.
Old 06-06-07, 08:23 PM
old and new

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm planning a two day tripto Asheville,from ALL that I've heard and read..NO down-side. NYC folkes withwhom I'm aquainted enjoy Ashville to visit, one lives there too. I maintain that New Yokers aren't easily impressed. Great natural beauty and culture.
Old 06-06-07, 08:30 PM
jonnywill
can't breathe too good.

Bikes: Azuki Single Speed, Austro-Daimler Fixed gear, Windsor Hour Fixed, Iro Jamie Roy frameset, Schwinn Moab 2, lots of old bmx bikes from walmart and stuff when i was younger.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everyone from Pittsburgh should move to OKC and then say :"Move to OKC".
Only because I really want to live there but I have very little money for moving.
And you guys seem to be really good at getting people to move to your city.
Old 06-06-07, 09:15 PM
dmg
Beautiful Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really can't think of anywhere in the US I'd rather live that Pittsburgh. Every time I get bummed out on living here, I visit another city and get reminded of all the things I like here.

Internationally, I love Copenhagen and London (I doubt I could afford to live in either under any imagineable circumstances) and Montreal (not in the winter though, eff that ess).
Old 06-06-07, 09:54 PM
efficiency
Does Not Exist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezealot
We did it. Life is awesome here. Just north of the Spanish border near the Meditterranean. Biking, water sports. Rural life, yet near a large city. The French live life like it is supposed to be . Cycling addicts, good food and wine. Lots of festivals, community events and clubs. Nice people who make you feel welcome. Climate almost as nice as So. Cal's, but much, much cheaper. and Cyclists are safe and admired. Everybody does it, including 80 year old women , getting their morning bread.
Still much we miss about So Cal and the USA. Some things we don't . Ex. cyclists seemed to be Knocked off almost daily by motorists. Still. likely some year we will come back. Should we want to save some cash, compared to So Cal and it's incredible cycling climate. We are sort of interested in Medford, OR. So Cal , I'd prefer, but the price of everything. Medford has a decent climate. Maybe two months of a mild winter. That time , we can pack up our bikes and dive gear and head to LaPaz, Mexico for a couple weeks.
Meanwhile, we are thoroughly enjoying the Southern French way of life.
How did you manage to do it? Do you just have tons of money, or do you have a job in France? How did you get the job (if you have one)?
Old 06-06-07, 09:57 PM
entukay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dmg
I really can't think of anywhere in the US I'd rather live that Pittsburgh. Every time I get bummed out on living here, I visit another city and get reminded of all the things I like here.

Internationally, I love Copenhagen and London (I doubt I could afford to live in either under any imagineable circumstances) and Montreal (not in the winter though, eff that ess).

agreed, i travel quite a bit and theres sometime special about driving back into town no matter where you've been and seeing the city. and then almost gettin run over by some crazy yinzer babe on a chopper. its the best.
Old 06-06-07, 09:57 PM
andre nickatina
not actually Nickatina

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by humancongereel
40? try 45-50. i'd rather hang with jack kerouac than the hippies.
i would too. it's basically this, i really like the bay itself and the uniqueness of it, i was just throwing out a number of when i figured it was a hell of a lot cheaper to live there. but sure, beat poets are cooler than hippies any day... gregory corso knows whats up.
Old 06-06-07, 10:46 PM
thebristolkid
on a steel horse I ride

Bikes: 2007 Raleigh Rush Hour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by entukay
theres sometime special about driving back into town no matter where you've been and seeing the city.
Fort Pitt Tunnel, mama. It's the only city in the country with an entrance. I really miss that place sometimes (my bike is steel grey, black and yellow...and my cats are named Negley and Ellsworth).
Old 06-06-07, 11:00 PM
veggiemafia
Triathlon = Eat/Bike/Nap

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All the love for the PGH in this thread makes me feel good.

I love this city.

To anyone from here who wasn't just beat/lazy today, how was Neighbor of the Beast?
Old 06-07-07, 12:57 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by efficiency
How did you manage to do it? Do you just have tons of money, or do you have a job in France? How did you get the job (if you have one)?
My wife had a life threatening sickness, from which she is now ok. Changed our outlook on everything. She did not need the tension of American high schools, any longer. So we bagged our assets, took an early retirement. Applied for a French visa and was given one that allowed us to work. She teaches part time , more palatable, teaching adults in need of learning english. In order to secure a French visa that allows you to work, you need prove ability to survive without the need for a job. She teaches, I have an understanding with b and b' we overlook. I help secure customers with bikes and bike tours. Plus the work about the business.
Life is pretty nice here. Not sure how long we will stay. At least three years if not longer.
Old 06-07-07, 08:44 AM
efficiency
Does Not Exist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^If you don't mind, about how old were you when you decided to do this? (I'm trying to semi-retire early.)
Old 06-07-07, 03:41 PM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
My company had a strong union. With enough time, we could retire at 50. It was based on your income so many had to wait closer to 60. For us, 56.
Old 06-07-07, 04:02 PM
SeanBonham

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, 1983 Specialized Stumpjumper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by geoGraphicFTD
ooo what'd you do in Cleveland that was so fun!? I love it when I hear people talk favorably about my hometown! (unlike the people I'm at work with right now, who thought it'd be fun to google "burning river"...grrrrrrr)

also yay Philly.
I work for Whole Foods and helped open the first one there. I guess the fun part was just checking out the city and drinking great beer. Just really like the feel of the city. It is Ohio's savior.

Originally Posted by willypilgrim
average high in january in lousiville is 41, average low being 25. You know nothing of the term "cold as hell"
yeah you are right, I guess its my southern blood that makes 25 seem "cold as hell"
Old 06-07-07, 10:28 PM
odie91

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone have comments on the following cities?

DALLAS
HOUSTON
SAN ANTONIO
BATON ROUGE
NEW ORLEANS
ROCHESTER
RICHMOND (VA)
MINNEAPOLIS
KANSAS CITY
FT LAUDERDALE
INDIANAPOLIS

I'm applying to grad schools in all of these cities, and don't think any of them have been mentioned yet.
Thanks!

Last edited by odie91; 06-08-07 at 12:44 AM.
Old 06-07-07, 10:33 PM
doofo
thomas masini lives

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^ i say avoid these

but thats just me
Old 06-08-07, 04:46 PM
jonnywill
can't breathe too good.

Bikes: Azuki Single Speed, Austro-Daimler Fixed gear, Windsor Hour Fixed, Iro Jamie Roy frameset, Schwinn Moab 2, lots of old bmx bikes from walmart and stuff when i was younger.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

buckaroo's are what's in style man.
and the cowboys are part of what's good and more a part of what's bad in Oklahoma. I don't know about Texas cowboys though. I do know that most Oklahoma cowboys have never touched a bovid of any sort, and most are actually roughnecks trying to look classier than they can in their rig suits.

Maybe I hate it here?
Old 06-08-07, 07:17 PM
p3ntuprage

Bikes: a tvt soon to become a s/s...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
23, unemployed, occasional freelance photographer/web designer looking for a regularly paying job.

born in johannesburg, south africa.

i like the climate and that it's where half my family are. i don't like the three meter high walls, electric fences, armed private police, carjackings, etc.

have lived in surrey which was ****ing awful. also lived in birmingham, england which wasn't brilliant. i couldn't get on with the small town feeling that it had, despite being britain's second city.

i've lived in london for most of my life. long enough to have grown used to its metropolitan mix, without caring too much about the downsides.

right now i only really cycle for recreation, so i guess ideally i'd want to live somewhere i could cycle to work. zone 1 or 2 in nw london?
close enough to camden, but without the hills in between me and brixton/brick lane.

i've thought about manchester, leeds and liverpool before.

i like the idea of nyc, sf, berlin or amsterdam.

a friend of mine went to amsterdam for a holiday after uni and landed up staying for about four years.

i don't really see myself as fixed [no pun]. i don't think there's anyone in the last four generations of my family [atleast] who's live in the same country as they were born in.

fsnl
sparky
Old 06-08-07, 07:29 PM
3Lph

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by odie91
FT LAUDERDALE

I'm applying to grad schools in all of these cities, and don't think any of them have been mentioned yet.
Thanks!
Not a fan.

One of my favorite places ever is definatly Charleston, SC.
Old 06-08-07, 08:19 PM
obstacle
-

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

DALLAS - Worst airport EVER.
HOUSTON - Good BBQ but otherwise nothing special
SAN ANTONIO - Bob Wills rules this place still
BATON ROUGE - ewwwwww
NEW ORLEANS - No thanks
ROCHESTER - NY? If so, pass.I went to college here. You can do better. I should have.
RICHMOND (VA) - Ummm, cheesy faux-southern "culture"
MINNEAPOLIS - Nice for 30 days a year and hell on earth the rest, find a fat girl to keep you warm
KANSAS CITY - Damn good food and music, Wouldn't want to live there though.
FT LAUDERDALE - They call it "Flo-ri-duh for a reason. I stress the "duh".
INDIANAPOLIS - Actually downtown is pretty rad. Best Italian food I've ever had. But hey, you are still in Indiana.

Last edited by obstacle; 06-08-07 at 10:06 PM.
Old 06-08-07, 09:51 PM
LuckyKarma
PacktInACrushdTinBox

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by odie91

INDIANAPOLIS
I live about 85 miles south of Indy. The city isn't bad, but the entire state otherwise pretty much sucks. The weather is awful (freezing winters usually, blazing hot summers). This past March it was 80F one day and freezing rain the next. The cycling isn't too bad here, hilly in most areas but not too steep. But after cornfield after cornfield, the scenery quickly loses it's initial magic. I've been here almost 20 years (all my life), and I'm getting out as quick as possible. I'm going to IU-Bloomington and I hope to work on Wall Street once I'm out.

Personally I'd go the southern France route
Old 06-08-07, 11:33 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Born outside of Manchester, UK to Irish parents, not going back to the UK, no way, no how. A couple of rough trips through Brit "customs"/ "terrorist detection units" in the eighties, plus my parents tales of being Irish in the UK in the early 60s convinced me of that.

Been about the states, live in Richmond now. 20+ years. Like it here, it's cheap and I can do what I do for a living. The "Faux Southern Culture" comments, well, I find they don't apply, unless you're hanging out with eighty year old matrons or loonies from Chesterfield. RVA has the best urban river in the states (easily)... I dunno if I could live in a town w/o easy access to whitewater. Summer heat can be rough, tho.

Where would I like to live? I used to tell my German/Swiss GF I would like to live back in Kerry (South of Ireland, west coast); certainly not (london)derry where my mom's folks are from... the GF was suitable horrified. Maybe the North Woods of Maine/NH would do as a back up.

Citywise, I like Vancouver, Toronto, Chicago, Bangkok, and on days when it rains, Dublin is bearable, though I've not been there in about fifteen years and understand it has changed considerable. Oh, yeah, and Richmond.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 06-09-07, 05:17 AM
ieandro
Jersey Boy Yeah

Bikes: Trek 1000, Debernardi Track, Cervelo P2C, Specialized Tarmac Expert, Specialized Allez Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i miss the LDN. would move back in a heartbeat.
Old 06-09-07, 11:15 PM
Kommisar89
Bottecchia fan

Bikes: 1959 Bottecchia Milano-Sanremo (frame), 1966 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1971 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1973 Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1974 Bottecchia Special, 1977 Bottecchia Special (frame), 1974 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
WM, married, 45, one grown kid, work in IT - seeking...oh, wait, wrong post...grew up in New Orleans, have lived in Monterey, CA, San Angelo, TX, Houston, outside Boston, Germany, and currently in Colorado Springs, CO. Visited many, many other places - Mexico, Belgium, the Netherlands, Turkey, Britain three times. Hated LA. Too much traffic. Too expensive generally in CA. San Angelo was nice but too small. Houston - no thanks. All the bad points of New Orleans and none of it's charm. Of course you could find a job there so that was refreshing. Only passed through Austin so no comment there. Winter sucks in Boston. If I won the lottery I might keep a place in Carmel, CA. That was very nice. But realistically, Colorado is hard to beat. The beautiful "John Denver" tree hugging lifestyle with all the comforts of home. I'm not a big fan of the city of Denver but parts of it are nice. I'm a suburbanite at heart but it's nice to have a large city near by if I want to go to a concert or in case they ship my job to India. Can't think of any place else I'd want to live long term in the US. Now internationally...I spent quite a bit of time in Germany and that was wunderbar. Britain - no thanks. Too much like the US but a great place to visit. The Netherlands - maybe. Pretty cool place but I could take a few years off my lifespan there. But I think I'd like to try Italy. I haven't been there but I can't think of anything about the place I don't like. Great cycling, exciting politics, decent economy, good weather, good food, good wine, beautiful women, beautiful language, and did I mention cycling? Not that my wife is going to go for that. She's already informed me that we aren't living anywhere that English isn't the native language. Oh well...Australia perhaps?
Old 06-10-07, 07:30 AM
jdeane4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Macon, GA now. Its not great by any means down here. It is hot and humid year round. But I am looking at moving to Decatur, GA in a few years. It is close enough to Atlanta to hop on the bike Path and your in the city. But you are far enough away from the city to still have some sanity. Atlanta has its perks and downsides. But I have grown up in the south and I am used to the mentality. I am also considering Jacksonville, FL or Pensecola. Dont know yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.