Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Commuter to road/gravel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-21, 01:23 AM
x02bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Commuter to road/gravel?

Is it possible to convert the Linus Pronto 10 to a decent road bike that can deal with occasional gravel? Basically I just want wider tires and a drop-bar. Any leads? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-13-21, 02:22 AM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
you could star with new tires nd some clip on bars , and then look at shifter and mech combos , if your brakes are hydro you will need hydro shifters that are compatible with those mechs , or just swap everything out with a full group
Old 02-13-21, 02:48 AM
scubaman

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 37 Posts
The Pronto 10 is sold with 700 X 28mm tires and fenders. 28mm may be wide enough for you to ride "occasional gravel". Otherwise, while I don't see info from Linus about maximum tire size, I'd expect that if you take off the fenders, you may be able to fit, say, 32mm or 33mm tires - which is the standard size for cyclocross, which involves mixed surfaces. You'd have to measure. Or you could switch to 650b/27.5" wheels, which I'd guess would let you go up to, say, 35mm or 38mm, which are certainly gravel-worthy.

Switching to a drop bar is feasible, but you'd have to change the brake and shift levers too. Brakes are hydraulic, so switching to road levers isn't trivial. And shifting is Microshift 10 speed, and it looks like Microshift doesn't make hydraulic road brake/shift levers. You could switch to TRP Hylex road levers & brakes; with Gevenalle shifters, that's $450-500, https://www.gevenalle.com/product/hydraulic/. And IDK if the rear shifter would work with Microshift 10 speed indexing, although it would certainly work in friction mode. Or Hylex levers and brakes plus Microshift bar-end shifters.
Old 02-13-21, 03:19 AM
x02bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Toespeas
you could star with new tires nd some clip on bars , and then look at shifter and mech combos , if your brakes are hydro you will need hydro shifters that are compatible with those mechs , or just swap everything out with a full group
Thank you so much!
Old 02-13-21, 03:21 AM
x02bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scubaman
The Pronto 10 is sold with 700 X 28mm tires and fenders. 28mm may be wide enough for you to ride "occasional gravel". Otherwise, while I don't see info from Linus about maximum tire size, I'd expect that if you take off the fenders, you may be able to fit, say, 32mm or 33mm tires - which is the standard size for cyclocross, which involves mixed surfaces. You'd have to measure. Or you could switch to 650b/27.5" wheels, which I'd guess would let you go up to, say, 35mm or 38mm, which are certainly gravel-worthy.

Switching to a drop bar is feasible, but you'd have to change the brake and shift levers too. Brakes are hydraulic, so switching to road levers isn't trivial. And shifting is Microshift 10 speed, and it looks like Microshift doesn't make hydraulic road brake/shift levers. You could switch to TRP Hylex road levers & brakes; with Gevenalle shifters, that's $450-500. And IDK if the rear shifter would work with Microshift 10 speed indexing, although it would certainly work in friction mode. Or Hylex levers and brakes plus Microshift bar-end shifters.
Thank you so much for this! This is a great start!