Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New Ekar GT Groupset

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New Ekar GT Groupset

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-24, 08:33 AM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
New Ekar GT Groupset

Campagnolo released a new Ekar GT groupset. More aluminum, less CF, and lower cost.
Likes For RGMN:
Old 02-20-24, 10:58 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-20-24, 01:02 PM
13ollocks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by RGMN
Campagnolo released a new Ekar GT groupset. More aluminum, less CF, and lower cost.
I think this is a step in the right direction, even if I remain puzzled as to Campag’s long-term plans. Although I’m a dyed-in-the-wool Campag user for the road, if I were putting together a gravel/touring bike, I’d probably opt for Shimano, simply because I’m more likely to find parts in a hurry if I break something. Campag, alas, is a niche product now
Likes For 13ollocks:
Old 02-20-24, 09:02 PM
AndyJoK

Bikes: too many and not enough

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Ekar has been the only group I’ve yet to try, not sure whether this new release makes it more or less appealing but the Zondas sure look good!
Likes For AndyJoK:
Old 02-20-24, 10:25 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 307 Posts
I have two Ekar equipped bicycles, and I have found it to be excellent. One road, one gravel. I am aware that some people say they are a bit fiddley, but what I have found is that if they are setup according to the instructions Campagnolo publishes they are quite trouble free.

Yes, they can make a clack when you shift under power. They shift precisely, and you can down shift multiple gears in one swipe. I can work them with mittens on, but if they are coated in ice from freezing rain they will jam. The brakes are excellent.

I wish they had a crank that worked with 73 mm bottom bracket spacing, but you can't have everything. And if they would make an electronic version at a reasonable premium over the mechanical group, like maybe a $500 above the mechanical, I would probably put that on my next bike.

I also don't see much call for the alloy version unless it was quite a bit less expensive. You can get a carbon Ekar for about $1,000 US. Can I get the aluminum version for $600?
Old 02-21-24, 07:37 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,003 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
I also don't see much call for the alloy version unless it was quite a bit less expensive. You can get a carbon Ekar for about $1,000 US. Can I get the aluminum version for $600?
Margin should be better with Al bits
Old 02-21-24, 07:50 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts

Price is obviously going to be a major point here. Interestingly it has an even wider range cassette option than Ekar and a smaller chainring option. It’s about 300g heavier, but potentially could be more durable. Seems like a reasonable option to me for those on a tighter budget or even just looking for lower gearing.
Old 02-21-24, 08:12 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

I wonder if this is aimed at the OEM market? Probably that is the case.

I have been looking at getting a new gravel bike to replace the drop bar MTB I currently have. I have focused on a couple of bikes that come with Ekar. Neither is low enough in price that I am wanting to spring for it.

A $200 price cut to a bike manufacturer might translate into a $600 price cut at the retail level.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 02-21-24, 07:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
I think it is pretty neat. I know Campy doesn't always make the right choices and do what will be most practical but they make fun interesting stuff and sometimes have a bit of innovation thrown in or at least some good looks.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-22-24, 02:41 PM
RGMN

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
I have two Ekar equipped bicycles, and I have found it to be excellent. One road, one gravel. I am aware that some people say they are a bit fiddley, but what I have found is that if they are setup according to the instructions Campagnolo publishes they are quite trouble free.

Yes, they can make a clack when you shift under power. They shift precisely, and you can down shift multiple gears in one swipe. I can work them with mittens on, but if they are coated in ice from freezing rain they will jam. The brakes are excellent.

I wish they had a crank that worked with 73 mm bottom bracket spacing, but you can't have everything. And if they would make an electronic version at a reasonable premium over the mechanical group, like maybe a $500 above the mechanical, I would probably put that on my next bike.

I'm looking at building up a 1x road bike and had been looking at Ekar before they announced Ekar GT. Carbon Ekar for $1k would be great, but this frame sort of calls out for aluminum. I have Chorus on 2 other bikes, and a Chorus/Record mix on a third. I'd probably miss the upshift klunk if Ekar didn't do it too.
Old 02-24-24, 06:03 PM
Lamont Cobb

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
I've never owned a Campy part or even seen one in person. I don't think I'm alone.....
Old 02-24-24, 06:20 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by Lamont Cobb
I've never owned a Campy part or even seen one in person. I don't think I'm alone.....
send address, I'll send you a shifter wing nut or something so you're officially in the club.

Probably the last Campagnolo component I will buy. "officially sanctioned merchandise".

/markp

Old 02-26-24, 03:14 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
No, I’m sure you’re not, and it’s important to remember that the same thing could have been said by someone 15 years ago. It has probably been more than 20 years, I think, since Campagnolo has had a regular, or common, presence in the typical, American bike shop.

From that perspective, maybe Campagnolo have already carved out their niche and are settled into it, rather than being on the edge of slipping out of the mainstream, and Ekar GT, rather than it representing clawing at diminishing market share, represents Campagnolo growing out into new market segments.
Old 02-27-24, 08:09 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
My bike has Campy dropouts—the only Campy parts on my bike. The only Campy parts I’ve ever owned or likely ever will.
Old 02-27-24, 11:26 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
The thumb shifter on the Ergo makes it vastly superior to the other brands um ergonomically. I futzed around with lots of things on my gravel bike before heading back to Campy.

I happen to like the clunk. It’s positive.

I do run a Sram Force crank with a Rotor 13speed chainring. Works perfectly.
Old 02-29-24, 09:46 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
The thumb shifter on the Ergo makes it vastly superior to the other brands um ergonomically. I futzed around with lots of things on my gravel bike before heading back to Campy.

I happen to like the clunk. It’s positive.

I do run a Sram Force crank with a Rotor 13speed chainring. Works perfectly.
I like that design much better than Shimano's system, but I prefer both Sram "double tap" and the current design of Microshift over anything else. Not that I'd refuse to use any one of them, just think both the Sram and Microshift - and also Campagnolo - are better designs than Shimano.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 03-01-24, 07:07 AM
DangerousDanR

Originally Posted by Camilo
I like that design much better than Shimano's system, but I prefer both Sram "double tap" and the current design of Microshift over anything else. Not that I'd refuse to use any one of them, just think both the Sram and Microshift - and also Campagnolo - are better designs than Shimano.
I can't think of a harder to use design for an integrated brake and shifter than what Shimano has done. My guess is that it would be completely unworkable when wearing mittens. The Ekar is easy to use with mittens on.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 03-01-24, 09:36 AM
MattoftheRocks

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 23 Posts
I see no polished or at least bare aluminum. It’s worth $50 to me.

I see 4 arm crank with blind drilled holes looking like it’s related to that old Nexus crank. It is worth $10 to me.

It all looks like OEM for $600 hybrid bikes. Do they make a “shock absorber fork” to match? Gel seat from Cinelli?

what has the world come to when companies started in the 2000s have products that’re more appealing than the new new from Campagnolo?

Last edited by MattoftheRocks; 03-01-24 at 09:53 AM.
Likes For MattoftheRocks:
Old 03-01-24, 09:52 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Ditto.

I just read about them on the internet and how they have shiny 50th anniversary parts.
Likes For prj71:
Old 03-01-24, 10:03 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by prj71
Ditto.

I just read about them on the internet and how they have shiny 50th anniversary parts.
Guess they one-upped Shimano in that department.
Likes For smd4:
Old 03-01-24, 10:49 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by MattoftheRocks
I see no polished or at least bare aluminum. It’s worth $50 to me.

I see 4 arm crank with blind drilled holes looking like it’s related to that old Nexus crank. It is worth $10 to me.

It all looks like OEM for $600 hybrid bikes. Do they make a “shock absorber fork” to match? Gel seat from Cinelli?

what has the world come to when companies started in the 2000s have products that’re more appealing than the new new from Campagnolo?
What has the world come to when people moan about the colour of a bicycle groupset? Looks fine to me. Clean, modern, understated design.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-01-24, 10:53 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Looks fine to me.
I looked at the road groups on that site. All the new Campy components are stunningly ugly, and it's not just about color--but that's a big part of it.
Likes For smd4:
Old 03-01-24, 11:18 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by smd4
I looked at the road groups on that site. All the new Campy components are stunningly ugly, and it's not just about color--but that's a big part of it.
Noted, but it still looks fine to me.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-01-24, 11:19 AM
MattoftheRocks

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 23 Posts

Pacific Bicycles Manufactured Walmart bike

Clean, modern, understated design.”

I think we’ll have to agree to disagree.
Old 03-01-24, 11:23 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by MattoftheRocks

Pacific Bicycles Manufactured Walmart bike

Clean, modern, understated design.”

I think we’ll have to agree to disagree.
You appear to be getting confused between colour and quality. Those cheapo bikes are just copying the colours of expensive drivertrains. Back when shiny was fashionable, cheap bikes also had shiny bits.

Edit: oh I see you cherry picked some older bikes to prove your point.

Last edited by PeteHski; 03-01-24 at 11:30 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.