Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tipping mechanics at holidays; how much?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tipping mechanics at holidays; how much?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-21, 06:10 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,297 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Would it be better if I said people making more than $10 million per year are grossly overpaid?
You want to replace one unfounded sweeping generalization with another?

but no matter how you slice it, that amount of money won’t get you the same standard of living as it used to. The numbers are fudged to make you think otherwise.
"won't get you the same standard of living" is a much different statement than "is grossly underpaid."
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-10-21, 06:15 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
"won't get you the same standard of living" is a much different statement than "is grossly underpaid."
I disagree. It’s the former that makes me think the latter.

I can’t fathom something a person could do to earn 10 mil, and if I could it would probably be in the medical industry and not retail or commodities.

Last edited by urbanknight; 12-10-21 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-10-21, 07:31 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
I disagree. It’s the former that makes me think the latter.

I can’t fathom something a person could do to earn 10 mil, and if I could it would probably be in the medical industry and not retail or commodities.
Or sports or entertainment... Just saying
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 12-10-21, 08:47 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
Living in the Albany area tips were a regular occurrence, but only given for work done quickly, on the spot, or for a job done extra well. In Rochester the people were stingy and in 5 years I received 3 tips and even that was surprising to people who worked there longer. But at Christmas time in both locations no one ever just brought in a tip. What was done is that people would bring us Christmas cookies, beer and lunches. Nothing like having a couple cheese pizzas and a 2l of coke dropped off at 11:00 on a Sat when everyone was there but it wasn't so busy we didn't have time to enjoy it.
Old 12-10-21, 08:50 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I think you’re responding to the wrong person.
Ah, yes, you are correct. It seems that argument was another of urbanknight 's, and you were correcting him. And I agree with you. Sorry about that.

And yeah, it is pretty funny to see someone argue that $200k/yr "isn't as much as it sounds." It sounds like a helluva lot of money to about 90% of the population, I'll bet.

Last edited by Koyote; 12-10-21 at 09:08 PM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-10-21, 08:53 PM
Koyote

Adjusted for cost of living and, most engineers make about what a trash collector made back in the 50's. But think what you will. I crunched the numbers. A trash collector back then could afford the type of living $120,000 would get you today.
I'd sure like to see those numbers. Why don't you start by telling me (with evidence) what a trash collector got paid in the 1950s...? If you can't provide that data, then you are (again) just making things up.
Old 12-10-21, 08:59 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,545 Times in 7,329 Posts
Yes, and if you do the math I suggested, you'd notice that $200,000 isn't as much as it sounds.
It sounds pretty damn loud to me. It would sound even louder if my cat didn’t eat so much.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-10-21, 09:05 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Koyote
I'd sure like to see those numbers. Why don't you start by telling me (with evidence) what a trash collector got paid in the 1950s...? If you can't provide that data, then you are (again) just making things up.
it has been a few years since I looked up all those numbers. I’ll try to look them up again when I get the chance, but I am kind of sorry I turned this into a P&R post.

I thought I was agreeing with you that jobs that once paid decently are no longer doing so, and that it’s a shame, but it seems I misunderstood you?
Old 12-10-21, 09:09 PM
Koyote

I thought I was agreeing with you that jobs that once paid decently are no longer doing so, and that it’s a shame, but it seems I misunderstood you?
If you're just going to make stuff up, I'd rather that you not agree with me. You undercut your own point by making wildly inaccurate claims.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-10-21, 09:18 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
So anyone here not want to get $10 for the holidays just as a token of appreciation?

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 12-10-21, 10:17 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Koyote
The comment on the trash collector is based on what the man who sold me my house said in a conversation with me. He was a trash collector and he owned this house with a housewife who didn't work, and raised his family of 5 in it. I found it amusing how he felt he had an easier time affording it than me and my wife with our college degrees and dual income. I chose to compare it with an engineer's salary (googled average engineer salary and consulted multiple engineer family members) instead of my and my wife's because our careers historically have low incomes for their level of education. I understand that's anecdotal, but that's where trash collector came from.

The crunched numbers comment came from me looking up the cost of various expenses (homes, transportation, groceries) and comparing them with the average income. It has been a long time since I did this, and I don't even recall the original sources, but they came from sites like this:

Housing prices: $7,354 (1950) vs $119,600 (2000)
https://www2.census.gov/programs-sur...lues-unadj.txt

Income: $3.300 (1950) vs $42,148 (2000)
https://www.census.gov/library/publi...0of%20Commerce.
https://www.census.gov/library/publi...20respectively.

I also sought to make adjustments for the fact that more households have dual incomes than back then, but I can't remember what exactly I searched for and used to calculate that. This shows the considerable difference, but is useless to make any calculations from.
https://www.pewresearch.org/ft_dual-...s-1960-2012-2/

Sorry, but that's about the best I can do in recalling crap I looked up over a decade ago... or at least as much time as I'm willing to spend searching for it again.

Last edited by urbanknight; 12-10-21 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12-11-21, 02:36 AM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 260 Posts
I don't think it is warranted or even remotely necessary! They are fairly and adequately compensated by their employer (the local bike shop proprietor). Frankly, all you are essentially doing is rewarding mediocrity and fostering a further degredation of customer service by contributing CASH T.I.P.S. to these employees that do not rely on tips as part of their wages as restaurant servers do.

I BELIEVE THAT IF YOU DO HAVE A SMALL AMOUNT THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE MOST GOOD BEING DONE WITH YOUR CONTRIBUTION, YOU SHOULD INSTEAD THINK ABOUT GIVING THAT SMALL AMOUNT TO The St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis Tennessee. They are without a doubt among the finest charitable organizations in the world. Actor Danny Thomas founded it in 1962. St. Jude is the patron saint of lost causes.... No family pays anything. Children have a chance at survival where just a generation ago, there was no hope at all. It is just a suggestion. There are certainly other worthy charities that you might consider too. Rewarding the doofuses on staff at your local bike shop with CASH T.I.P.S. is beyond stupid! Customer service has been on the decline for at least a decade or more here in the USA because of this misguided mentality of regular hourly wage employees that believe that somehow that they are not only entitled to T.I.P.S. from clientele, but that they damn better receive them because their boss does not pay them enough......oh boo hoo !!!
You as the customer already fairly pay enough..... the shop's retail parts & labor charge, and thus that markup more than accounts for all the business operational costs, including salaries and hourly wages.
Just Say No To CASH Tipping Undeserving Doofuses that are NOT employees who rely on TIPS as servers/waiters do!!!
I also find it extremely distasteful for people to pimp for TIPS such as the example mentioned where the mechanical trash arm truck driver had placed envelopes on front door knobs. I'm not saying that a very fine paper delivery person in the old days that always got you the paper in your yard early everyday and completely dry, wrapped in plastic bag on rainy days, did not deserve some possible consideration for doing a superb job all year long, but in that case, you were rewarding great customer service and extraordinary performance over and above the norm. Rewarding the mediocre or half-ass customer service of a regular employee with a CASH gift (tip) is dumb and will do nothing to improve their poor attitude and poor customer service!
Old 12-11-21, 03:13 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
seems simple. take care of the people that take care of you regardless of your pastime(s). cycling. dining. car builds. home mods. cleaners. gardeners. personal services. boutique special order gatherers...
Likes For diphthong:
Old 12-11-21, 07:29 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
OK, this has run it's course and much of it is threatening to go to P&R.

Likes For Trsnrtr: