Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Destressing a radially spoked wheel?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-16, 08:01 AM
Hoang

Bikes: '89 Cannondale SC600, '05 Marin Fairfax, '10 Specialized Roubaix Elite Compact

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just built a radially spoked front wheel. I'm not sure as to how to go about destressing this wheel or whether destressing a radially spoked wheel is even necessary. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-11-16, 08:16 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd suggest buying a nice spa day for it.

No, in reality, you'd de-stress it like any other wheel. Lean on it a bit/squeeze the spokes together. De-stressing a wheel is really just letting the spokes turn back to their natural positions. This often messes with the trueness a bit. If you were careful when you build the wheel and used properly lubed threads, de-stressing shouldn't do much.
Old 04-11-16, 12:58 PM
Tunnelrat81

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First thing required is is clarification of what you are talking about. I assume you mean stress relieving the wheel, which is almost 100% of the time confused with removing spoke twist (as was somewhat addressed by the first response [above]).

The answer to your question, of course, is yes. You want to stress relieve every wheel you build, doing it multiple times throughout the building process. If you're in the habit of using Sheldon Brown's method of using an old crank arm (or some other soft metal tool) near the spoke cross, you'll have to change up your method. Personally I use leather gloves and squeeze the (nearly) parallel spokes to stress relieve. Using this method, you want to squeeze two pairs (one pair per hand) of spokes together as hard as you can simultaneously. Even with gloves, it may hurt your fingers, but it's much less so than without. It's a bit more awkward doing this with a radially built wheel because the spokes are even less parallel, but the result is the same. It is every bit as important on a radial wheel as it is on one with cross lacing. Be sure to re-check the spoke tension balance and wheel true after each time you stress relieve, since the tension will drop, and balance may change by a small bit.

-Jeremy
Old 04-11-16, 01:19 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
I put the axle against the floor, then lean on the rim rotate the wheel, a bit, do it again, then repeat flipping it over .

then recheck it in the truing stand.
Old 04-11-16, 01:44 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tunnelrat81
First thing required is is clarification of what you are talking about. I assume you mean stress relieving the wheel, which is almost 100% of the time confused with removing spoke twist (as was somewhat addressed by the first response [above]).
Interesting. Glad to be part of the 100%. (Had to google what it actually means.) Technically I still gave the right answer, so partial credit?
Old 04-11-16, 03:37 PM
davidad

Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
This explains the procedure and the need for it. Stress Relieving Spokes by Jobst Brandt
Old 04-11-16, 04:58 PM
Hoang

Bikes: '89 Cannondale SC600, '05 Marin Fairfax, '10 Specialized Roubaix Elite Compact

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your replies. I guess I somehow thought that stress relieving was about correcting the spoke line which to me did not seem particularly relevant with a radial spoking pattern. Time to break out the leather gloves.
Old 04-11-16, 06:17 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 3,012 Times in 1,710 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
I put the axle against the floor, then lean on the rim rotate the wheel, a bit, do it again, then repeat flipping it over .

then recheck it in the truing stand.
Removing spoke twist, which you are describing, is different from stress relieving.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-12-16, 04:48 PM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
First, I always back the spoke off after slightly over-tightening it first.

Secondly, I squeeze all the spokes, a handful at a time.

Lastly, I fill the tire, and bounce it off the floor for a few minutes. Then I re-true it.