Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Being poor keeps me grounded😁

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Being poor keeps me grounded😁

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-24, 02:03 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
You're just offering your guesses -- basically, making stuff up. I hope you realize that plenty of serious, well-educated people have studied (and continue to study) these phenomena empirically.
Repointing out the disclosure of take it or leave it.

Until any of those "people" that you are trying to fathom up can change my mind, it;ll just be textbook cash grabbing theories.
Old 02-20-24, 02:36 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Rich or poor, it’s nice to have money.
Old 02-20-24, 02:54 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I would say it's actually the opposite. Many stressful events (family emergencies, health problems, job loss, etc.) can be made much less stressful if you have money.
You don’t have to tell me.

I spent the first month of 2023 is a hospital and had heart surgery along with other procedures. Probably a week or more of that month was spent in the ICU. I then spent two months in a rehab facility. My relatively minimal out-of-pocket costs, while not something I was happy about paying, were no burden whatsoever, especially since I got paid full salary and benefits for the entire five months I was away from work. (I could have stayed out another month before going on long term disability, but I was bored.)

One of the major sources of comfort was knowing that my troubles were not going to materially affect my financial future.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-20-24, 04:20 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Everyone's relationship is unique, but experience has shown me eye opening things. Just because you get the vibes, verbal reassurances, & other accommodating support to live a certain lifestyle does not mean it's what the other person had or had in mind. Some bottle that up forever, others don't & show so with getting out of that relationship.
I never want to live in this world you are describing, people who are worried about what their peers own and don’t undestand their partners. I wonder how much the media have contributed to the psychology of this hellhole. I count myself lucky that I don’t recognise it among my friends and colleagues and we are not badly paid. But anyone gobbing off about their sports car or 7 bedroom house in the country (and some own them) would be promptly ignored at best.
Likes For choddo:
Old 02-20-24, 04:57 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Rich or poor, it’s nice to have money.
Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it.David Lee Roth

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 02-20-24, 05:11 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it.David Lee Roth
I could live with that. 😀
Old 02-20-24, 05:17 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
"I would rather be crying in a limousine than laughing on a bicycle" - Patrizia Gucci
Old 02-20-24, 05:18 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I like being able to afford what I buy. And I buy quite a bit "less" than I can afford. But buy "more" than would seem to be justified for my ability.
Old 02-20-24, 06:29 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
I think some posters are conflating having wealth and owning things. They aren't the same thing, and they don't have to be linked.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-20-24, 06:41 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by baj32161
Being poor keeps me grounded...
Yep... A high paying job is still just a relative status. The number of figures on your income does not reflect how rich you are. Like you I too consider myself immensely rich... Ha

Old 02-20-24, 07:53 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Everyone's relationship is unique, but experience has shown me eye opening things. Just because you get the vibes, verbal reassurances, & other accommodating support to live a certain lifestyle does not mean it's what the other person had or had in mind. Some bottle that up forever, others don't & show so with getting out of that relationship.
Well we talk about what we want out of life and have been married for 22 years. We both came from poor families, her’s especially as they came from communist Bulgaria. Now we are relatively wealthy and don’t have to worry about money. She is more interested in donating to charities than buying more stuff. Leading a healthy lifestyle is the thing we talk about most. One of our wealthy neighbours recently had a triple heart bypass and now looks like a dead man walking. That sort of thing puts material things into perspective.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-20-24, 09:05 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 447 Posts
Do we have a cyclist member here who really would rather cry in a limousine than laugh on a bicycle?

Remarkable!

Being poor keeps me grounded, too. At least I think it does.
Old 02-20-24, 10:07 PM
choddo

Originally Posted by Fredo76
Do we have a cyclist member here who really would rather cry in a limousine than laugh on a bicycle?

Remarkable!

Being poor keeps me grounded, too. At least I think it does.
Yes and she runs one of the biggest fashion houses in the world
Likes For choddo:
Old 02-20-24, 10:20 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
Indeed. I saw a bloke drive his new Range Rover into his newly rebuilt house the other day and he was a miserable **** because he *****ed and moaned at us about fixing a puncture on the edge of his drive. On a narrow country road.
Plenty of cash, no idea how to enjoy life.
That is miserable indeed.

There was momentary schadenfreude at hearing about that "bloke drive his new Range Rover into his newly rebuilt house ..." until I realized you were in the UK and did not mean that the bloke had crashed his new Range Rover into his newly rebuilt house.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 02-20-24, 10:28 PM
choddo

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
That is miserable indeed.

There was momentary schadenfreude at hearing about that "bloke drive his new Range Rover into his newly rebuilt house ..." until I realized you were in the UK and did not mean that the bloke had crashed his new Range Rover into his newly rebuilt house.
Oh that would mean the same in the UK too, I just worded it clumsily :-)
Old 02-20-24, 10:53 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I think some posters are conflating having wealth and owning things. They aren't the same thing, and they don't have to be linked.
Not me! I am not wealthy but I have hoarded strategically amassed a small stock pile of spare parts and components for my bikes.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 02-20-24, 11:11 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,883 Times in 1,084 Posts

‘Anyone who says money can’t buy happiness doesn’t know where to shop’
Likes For t2p:
Old 02-20-24, 11:19 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
One phrase that has always stuck with me is from the Stoic philosopher, Seneca, who said, “You are only as poor as your desires”. To paraphrase, “The more you desire, the more poor your spirit.” This runs directly into conflict with the ad firms on Madison Avenue constantly telling us we are not worthwhile unless we have the latest, most expensive and greatest. Am sure there are many similar phrases.

Old 02-21-24, 12:04 AM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 342 Posts
I'm of the opinion that, below a certain threshold, money does bring some happiness. When I was dirt poor and didn't even have enough money to buy tires for my $100 used road bike, I was generally unhappy. I was always worried that I'd lose my crappy job, or that my crappy car might have some major mechanical problem. I'm solidly middle class at this point, but far from what I consider "wealthy." I'm much happier that I have a sense of financial security and that I'm not having to get by on barely-serviceable junk.

I don't really care about the status symbol stuff, but I do splurge a bit into my hobbies. I've got a quiver of decently nice bikes that cover all the different disciplines that I want to ride. They're not just to look at, the memories and experiences I've had through cycling, are irreplaceable. I feel they all strike a good balance between performance and cost, I wouldn't be able to support my hobby if I only allowed myself to own "halo" bikes. I do recognize that there is probably a limit to how much happiness you can buy. At a certain point, I think our basic desires are met and anything more is just raising the threshold for our "normal."
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 02-21-24, 12:34 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

I rode a Schwinn Varsity from 1970 through the early 80s and used it as my commuter bike, mostly. During that time, I sold plasma so I could eat, dug ditches by hand for a irrigation company, mucked out horse stalls, tree planted in Oregon, worked in a saw mill and as a short order cook. I have come a long way from those days, and they taught me to appreciate what I have, It’s never the best or the newest, but I have paid the stupid tax too many times, buying cheap and having it break and then having to pay more. My wife had a similar adulthood as she paid her way through college. Like Sierra-rider, I don’t for one minute take for granted and feel very fortunate.

As a small way of giving back, I volunteer at a free county health clinic for the indigent and those who work at minimum wage jobs but cannot afford medical care. I see in many of the patients, work histories similar to mine, but I was fortunate enough to get out and up. I can appreciate their struggles, their injuries and their desire just to feel whole.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-21-24, 03:31 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by rsbob
One phrase that has always stuck with me is from the Stoic philosopher, Seneca, who said, “You are only as poor as your desires”. To paraphrase, “The more you desire, the more poor your spirit.”
This phrase aligns closely with the Buddhist / Zen philosophy that desire causes / leads to suffering. Seneca must have been Buddhist!

Originally Posted by rsbob
This runs directly into conflict with the ad firms on Madison Avenue constantly telling us we are not worthwhile unless we have the latest, most expensive and greatest.
Madison Avenue was only the Mad Men days. Now advertising firms are everywhere.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 02-21-24, 05:51 AM
choddo

Including above and to the right of this post
Oh and below
Old 02-21-24, 05:59 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts

And Don Draper would never allow the crap we are now seeing in AD's.
Old 02-21-24, 07:24 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by baj32161
I've never had a particularly high paying job and I was raised to try to stay within my means

That being said, I have always WANTED the latest tech, be it in my love for home audio, photography or cycling.

As such, my cameras are all at least 11 years old, my bike is a 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp and my audio equipment is my smartphone and headphones.

Now, at 63 years old, I realize that I really have enjoyed the stuff 8 have. I am not a fast rider, never have been. I love riding the bike I have. I have won awards and sold photos taken with my 12 year old Nikon D7000s and love listening to my music.

All that that doesn't mean that I still don't WANT the newest fabulous tech.

I spend a lot of time sighing and wanting to run the lottery😁

More's the pity😁
I re-read this post, and am wondering what the OP means by "grounded." He expresses a desire to win the lottery, and admits to having "always WANTED" the latest stuff (though maybe that impulse has passed?)

Is being "grounded" simply a state of material contentment?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-21-24, 10:21 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Koyote
I re-read this post, and am wondering what the OP means by "grounded." He expresses a desire to win the lottery, and admits to having "always WANTED" the latest stuff (though maybe that impulse has passed?)

Is being "grounded" simply a state of material contentment?
Of course I cannot speak for the OP, but I will anyway… I believe he is using the Oxford dictionary meaning, “having a sensible and realistic attitude to life” as opposed to being confined to his room for acting up or being staked to the ground.

Likes For rsbob:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.