Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Being poor keeps me grounded😁

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Being poor keeps me grounded😁

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-24, 10:27 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
This phrase aligns closely with the Buddhist / Zen philosophy that desire causes / leads to suffering. Seneca must have been Buddhist.
You nailed it! Its about “attachment” to anything and anyone, including Buddhism itself. It especially includes desires.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-21-24, 10:34 AM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I re-read this post, and am wondering what the OP means by "grounded." He expresses a desire to win the lottery, and admits to having "always WANTED" the latest stuff (though maybe that impulse has passed?)

Is being "grounded" simply a state of material contentment?
Well, you could have asked.

― Bruce Lee
Likes For baj32161:
Old 02-21-24, 10:39 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I re-read this post, and am wondering what the OP means by "grounded."

Is being "grounded" simply a state of material contentment?
Originally Posted by baj32161
I think he just did.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-21-24, 11:36 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Umm, I did ask.

I'm genuinely interested in your answer.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-21-24, 12:13 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
Actually I have known some very rich people, and still do that are far more grounded then some of my acquaintances that are average or are barely getting by.

One owned a large local Marine, a local Bar and more. He is also one of the most grounded and hard working people I know. My old neighbor who owned a Garage Door business was absolutely the best.

And an old friend from school operated a very successful auto Garage, retired now and is at his winter home in Florida. One of the most respectable people I know. Who just happens to be an avid cyclist. And yes, he has a very expensive bicycle.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 02-21-24 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-21-24, 12:20 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I believe he is using the Oxford dictionary meaning, “having a sensible and realistic attitude to life” as opposed to being confined to his room for acting up or being staked to the ground.
I had not thought of these two possibilities, but I venture that OP was referring neither to an inability / restriction to take flight, nor to an ability to absorb an electric discharge / surge.

You nailed it! Its about “attachment” to anything and anyone, including Buddhism itself. It especially includes desires.
Now reading scholarly debate about the translation from the Chinese text, which itself may be derived from Sanskrit.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 02-21-24, 06:28 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 447 Posts
People in my town are very down-to-earth, which is the expression I sometimes use for grounded. About 25 miles away are two towns inhabited by more than their share of ego-maniacs. I feel more comfortable in Espańola. Poor can be relative, to others here or there, to past experience, to expectations of oneself or others. My wife and I are aware of how blessed we are, and how things are harder than they used to be. One can also be rich or poor with respect to things other than money.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 02-21-24, 07:36 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
People in my town are very down-to-earth, which is the expression I sometimes use for grounded. About 25 miles away are two towns inhabited by more than their share of ego-maniacs. I feel more comfortable in Espańola. Poor can be relative, to others here or there, to past experience, to expectations of oneself or others. My wife and I are aware of how blessed we are, and how things are harder than they used to be. One can also be rich or poor with respect to things other than money.
The most generous, welcoming and friendly people I have met were in rural Mexico and S Africa. It seems the less people have, the more willing they are to share and care. Friendship and good will are their riches. One would think it would be the exact opposite. I won’t comment on some, not all, the wealthy people I have met here.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-21-24, 08:25 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
The most generous, welcoming and friendly people I have met were in rural Mexico and S Africa. It seems the less people have, the more willing they are to share and care. Friendship and good will are their riches. One would think it would be the exact opposite. I won’t comment on some, not all, the wealthy people I have met here.
the sad truth of those that dpnt have much money but are willing to share/help is that they often get used & ruin a good soul.
Old 02-22-24, 02:36 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
the sad truth of those that dpnt have much money but are willing to share/help is that they often get used & ruin a good soul.
This is not my experience. Not all cultures are as individualistic as certain areas of the US
Likes For choddo:
Old 02-22-24, 06:10 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Rich or poor, it’s nice to have money.
Them that's got shall get/Them that's not shall lose
So the Bible said/And it still is news.
Old 02-22-24, 10:01 AM
Koyote

I've been thinking a bit about this thread while logging base miles. My wife and I are relatively affluent, and I think that has helped us to be "grounded" in the sense that matters to us. Having money makes it easier to live out our values: to help (financially) our young adult child and other family members as we feel is appropriate, to donate >$10,000 per year to 501(c)(3) non-profits that reflect our values, and for me to retire young and spend a significant amount of my time engaging with my community -- mostly through volunteer work for a few organizations that serve less-advantaged populations.

Having money allows our ethics (or call them morals, whatever you like) to be at the forefront. At least a few times, in our work settings, we've each essentially told a superior, "If you want me to do that, I'm done." Granted, it's easier to say that in our line of work, when giving up a higher-paying administrative position merely means going back to a well-paid faculty position. But the money allows us to be guided by our values -- not by others' demands.

My bikes -- their cost, newness, fanciness, etc -- don't even enter my mind when I think about the meaning of "grounded."
Old 02-22-24, 10:12 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
This is not my experience. Not all cultures are as individualistic as certain areas of the US
it's on an individualistic level that this happens, not within a cultural community.
Old 02-22-24, 11:31 AM
tomato coupe

People in my town are very down-to-earth, which is the expression I sometimes use for grounded. About 25 miles away are two towns inhabited by more than their share of ego-maniacs. I feel more comfortable in Espańola.
I'm guessing you're referring to Santa Fe and Taos?
Old 02-22-24, 11:43 AM
ScottCommutes

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
To paraphrase Spider-man - "With great wealth comes great responsibility".
Old 02-22-24, 12:09 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
It seems the less people have, the more willing they are to share and care. Friendship and good will are their riches. One would think it would be the exact opposite.
I caught "When We Were Kings" again on TCM yesterday evening. At one point, Ali talks about how, unlike in America, the people of Zaire generally showed dignity, in their poverty.

Great film, if you have never seen it. You don't have to be a boxing fan to enjoy it.
Old 02-22-24, 01:39 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I caught "When We Were Kings" again on TCM yesterday evening. At one point, Ali talks about how, unlike in America, the people of Zaire generally showed dignity, in their poverty.

Great film, if you have never seen it. You don't have to be a boxing fan to enjoy it.
I am not a fan of boxing… More of an anti-fan, really. But that is a great film. For those who haven't seen it, it's useful to know that, while there is boxing in the film, it's not really about boxing.

Last edited by Koyote; 02-22-24 at 05:38 PM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-22-24, 03:18 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I'm guessing you're referring to Santa Fe and Taos?
I was referring to Santa Fe and Los Alamos.
Old 02-22-24, 05:31 PM
tomato coupe

I was referring to Santa Fe and Los Alamos.
Santa Fe is one of our favorite cities -- we visit it several times a year.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-22-24, 07:34 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts
I've never had a particularly high paying job and I was raised to try to stay within my means

That being said, I have always WANTED the latest tech, be it in my love for home audio, photography or cycling. [...] I am not a fast rider, never have been. I love riding the bike I have.
All that that doesn't mean that I still don't WANT the newest fabulous tech.
Getting back to cycling, I'm an academic so I'm not poor but I'm poorish -- so I've had to figure out ways to become a faster rider not by buying stuff but by figuring stuff out. That said, when I broke a tooth last year, I was able to pay for the dentist, and that wasn't true when I was in my 20's and 30's, when I wasn't just poorish, I was poor. Being poor sucks.
Likes For RChung:
Old 02-22-24, 08:26 PM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
Getting back to cycling, I'm an academic so I'm not poor but I'm poorish -- so I've had to figure out ways to become a faster rider not by buying stuff but by figuring stuff out. That said, when I broke a tooth last year, I was able to pay for the dentist, and that wasn't true when I was in my 20's and 30's, when I wasn't just poorish, I was poor. Being poor sucks.

Academics are the reason for my “poor” state at this moment!!

2 kids in college - 130k per year++, and one more on his way in a few years.

Thats a bunch of “fast” bike parts and teeth fixin’.
Old 02-22-24, 10:40 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts
Yeah, our youngest is a HS senior and waiting to find out where she'll be next fall. I'd just like to emphasize that those high tuition fees ain't going to us.
Likes For RChung:
Old 02-23-24, 05:44 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
Academics are the reason for my “poor” state at this moment!!

2 kids in college - 130k per year++, and one more on his way in a few years.
Christ almighty your education system is expensive (albeit I was blown away by the Stanford campus when I had a walk around it a couple of years back). That would be about 50-60k USD for 2 students in the UK even at Oxford or Cambridge and depending on family income, 10k-20k per student is a deferred loan with repayments based on future income level. In Scotland, higher education is still free. Apart from accommodation/living costs of course.

What you are spending there is about 3x the median household income here.

Last edited by choddo; 02-23-24 at 05:48 AM.
Likes For choddo:
Old 02-23-24, 05:59 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
Christ almighty your education system is expensive (albeit I was blown away by the Stanford campus when I had a walk around it a couple of years back). That would be about 50-60k USD for 2 students in the UK even at Oxford or Cambridge and depending on family income, 10k-20k per student is a deferred loan with repayments based on future income level. In Scotland, higher education is still free. Apart from accommodation/living costs of course.

What you are spending there is about 3x the median household income here.
Yep, its costly. And no - I'm not footing the majority of those bills, but they are still keeping me "poor!!".

Daughter A - 85k per year all in - room, board, food, tuition... small private "art" school. 5 year masters program. 40k per year scholarship takes a big chunk, family money takes a chunk, then we pay a chunk.
Daughter B - 55k per year for a state school, in a different state so the prices are inflated. Same as above, scholarship, family money...

Daughter B declined to apply for Ivy League schools. She is qualified but didn't want the stress. She may go on to Whorton @ U-Penn (Ivy league) for her MBA - $122k++ per year. She did apply to St Andrews in Scotland as a long shot school - that would have cost us plenty!!!! 80k++ per year plus all the travel costs.
Old 02-23-24, 06:37 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed

She did apply to St Andrews in Scotland as a long shot school - that would have cost us plenty!!!! 80k++ per year plus all the travel costs.
Overseas students are hit hard with the full fees. It’s much cheaper for the locals.
Likes For PeteHski:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.