Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Rim drilled for schrader ... using presta tube

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-12, 06:09 AM
loubikes

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2001, Bianchi Brava, Bianchi Mondiale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My back rim accepts a schrader stem but I've been using tubes with presta stems.

I know some say that the stem can get ripped off when the tube slides. Is this true? I'm planning a week-long tour and I'm wondering if I should address this before I go.

I bought the bike used and it came with two different rims.

What is the easiest/cheapest solution? Get a tube with a schrader stem and get a bike pump that can handle both?

I haven't had to buy/shop for tubes for this bike yet. Do most 700 x 28c-32c tubes tend to come with a certain stem (schrader/presta) or can you get either?

Thanks
Old 06-20-12, 06:28 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 760 Times in 564 Posts
You can get little adapters, basically a bushing, but I think they are optional. I personally would just use the presta tubes and not bother with the bushing.
Old 06-20-12, 06:40 AM
dorkypants

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
I use Presta-valve tubes on my MTB rims that are drilled for Schrader w/o problem. If you want belt-and-suspenders, try either a rubber grommet in the rim, or use threaded valve stems with lockrings.
Old 06-20-12, 06:40 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3480 Post(s)
Liked 1,476 Times in 1,152 Posts
I however recommend that you get the little bushing that goes into the rim before you put the tube in. There are a couple manufacturers, I use these.
https://wheelsmfg.com/presta-stem-savers.html
You should be able to call around to find a bike shop that carries these or similar products.

I personally prefer Presta tubes, some prefer Schrader. If you think you prefer Schrader instead of Presta, instead of buying the adapter you might want to just change your tube to Schrader and buy a few spare tubes with that valve.
Old 06-20-12, 07:10 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I got some of the rim bushing/adaptors from my local bike shop so I can use Presta tubes in all of my bikes (including mountain bikes) because I had Schrader and the Prestas work much better with my pump. The adaptors cost about $1 if I remember correctly. I would be concerned about damaging the valves and getting flats without using the adaptors.
Old 06-20-12, 08:25 AM
hilltowner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
While we're at it I wonder how many people have seen presta failures at the stem. I've used prestas on all of my tours and the few times I've been forced to replace a tube has been because of cracks at the joint between the stem and tube. I have yet to see the same kind of failure at a Schrader stem/tube jct. now that I've been using such on my front wheel for a couple of years. The prestas were all run in a presta-drilled rim. A full day of riding in the rain preceded at least one of the stem failures.

Also FWIW in response to the OP, I also run both types of tubes as you can see. From my experience you can't buy a good quality frame pump that doesn't convert (but don't drop the little central reversing dohicky down a drain while you are doing it) from one valve type to the other.

Last edited by hilltowner; 06-20-12 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-20-12, 08:30 AM
Dan The Man

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can probably make due with throwing a washer over the valve. Another option would be to take an old dead tube and chop out the valve and add that over the new valve for extra protection.
Old 06-20-12, 12:45 PM
sesmith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just put a small piece of electrical tape on the inside of the rim, poke a small hole in it, and push the presta stem through the tape. Never used the inserts, and never had a flat from using a presta tube in a schraeder rim hole. I do use the little nuts that come with the tubes to secure them a little better to the outside of the rim hole.
Old 06-20-12, 01:21 PM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Running low enough air pressure and putting enough torque on a tube/tire to rotate it can rip the valve off a schrader tube just as easily as a presta tube. Mostly, the plastic spacers or adapters used with presta tubes in rims drilled for schrader balves keeps the threads from chewing up the rim when pumping up the tire.

Short of using those plastic inserts - a few companies like Schwalbe equip their tubes with a locknut with one side releived to fit exactly in a schrader drilled rim. Your local bike shop may have some lying around.
Old 06-20-12, 03:18 PM
neil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the 50 cents the adapter costs, I think you should just spring for it. The ones I have just replace the securing nut on the valve with a slightly wedge-shaped one to fill the gap. Cheap, handy, and reduces the risk of flats.
Old 06-20-12, 03:48 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 976 Times in 799 Posts
Originally Posted by hilltowner
While we're at it I wonder how many people have seen presta failures at the stem. I've used prestas on all of my tours and the few times I've been forced to replace a tube has been because of cracks at the joint between the stem and tube. I have yet to see the same kind of failure at a Schrader stem/tube jct. now that I've been using such on my front wheel for a couple of years. The prestas were all run in a presta-drilled rim. A full day of riding in the rain preceded at least one of the stem failures.
never had that problem of that nature, ever. I would wonder if the way you handle your pump, or when you attach or detach the pump, could be the cause?
I have seen someone do their valve in with a pump attached and the bike falling over and the person kept on holding onto the pump and didnt move it along with the bike as it fell, hence the valve ripping at base--but that is extreme.

really, I dunno what caused your failures, but from my experience and my friends over the years, I'd bet its probably something you are doing (unless of course the hole has some sharp bits in it or something, or the way you mount tires has the tube moving a lot and going up against the hole with pressure?)
Old 06-20-12, 07:49 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,720 Times in 2,537 Posts
I've seen failures of both schrader and presta valves at the weld with the tube. The construction is very similar at that point
Old 06-21-12, 02:55 PM
mrleft2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just wrap some electrical tape around the valve until it's thick enough
Old 06-21-12, 03:15 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Mavic makes the best adapter ring, It snaps into place.. but USA division does not import them
so You have to DIY import .. SJS cycle in UK has them .. stock item #3335

some presta ring nuts now come wider with a flange to center them in the bigger hole
Old 06-24-12, 11:16 PM
robow

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 196 Posts
if your bike shop doesn't have the adapters, go to a Lowe's or Home Depot and pick up these rubber grommets for a few cents, work great

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
008236716528sm.jpg (4.8 KB, 447 views)
Old 06-25-12, 01:48 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 230 Posts
if i had different valves on my wheels i wouldn't be able to sleep at night.
you wanna lie awake in your tent all night worrying about mismatched valvestems?
just get the darn bushing. or drill the other rim for shraeder.
just get it done.
i'm staying up at night worrying about your non-matching tubes.
Old 06-25-12, 07:36 AM
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I've used presta tubes in a rim drilled for schrader without adapter and never had a problem.
Old 06-25-12, 07:48 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 976 Times in 799 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
i'm staying up at night worrying about your non-matching tubes.
except being in China, compared to our time zone, you are staying up during the day, so its ok.
Old 06-25-12, 11:38 AM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
I had a failure of a Presta tube in a Schrader rim once. It occurred as I was pulling the snug-fitting pump head off from the valve stem, and I must have cut the tube on the edge of the drilling. Fortunately, I was in my garage at the time, so I wasn't stranded. I don't have any mis-matched tubes & rims anymore, but I'd use one of the proper adapters if I did.
Old 06-28-12, 11:48 AM
ilovesalad

Bikes: 1985 Trek 620, Bianchi Volpe, Pake Rum Runner, Raleigh Twenty, Fuji Saratoga

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to work as a mechanic and I saw quite a few long valve presta tubes where the tube and valve had separated. I believe most of the time this was from repetitive stress of using a hand pump to inflate the tire with the valve wiggling around a lot.
Old 07-22-17, 01:37 PM
Sam Hobbs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hilltowner
While we're at it I wonder how many people have seen presta failures at the stem.
I bought a Slime extra-thick Presta tube from a vendor in eBay and after a while the stem popped off. Since it was in a rim with a hole that Schrader fits through, that might have contributed to the failure. I bought Schrader from an eBay vendor (probably the same vendor) to replace it and it also broke at the stem. I heard that Slime had a bad batch and that might have been the main reason for the failures.

Originally Posted by robow
if your bike shop doesn't have the adapters, go to a Lowe's or Home Depot and pick up these rubber grommets for a few cents, work great

I am not sure I know what size to get. I suppose that if we had a caliper I could figure it out. Or I suppose I can find specifications for the relevant sizes of Presta and Schrader valve stem diameters.
Old 07-22-17, 02:41 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
You can get little adapters, basically a bushing, but I think they are optional. I personally would just use the presta tubes and not bother with the bushing.

I bought them when I switched my new Trek from Schrader to Presta. Stuck them in my drawer and they were there for years till I sold the bike. Stuck them in an envelope for the new owner to stick in his drawer.

Edit: Wait. A five year old thread??! What the heck are you doing newbie? The OP is likely long gone.

Last edited by spinnaker; 07-22-17 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-22-17, 03:29 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3480 Post(s)
Liked 1,476 Times in 1,152 Posts
Yeah, I noticed that I had commented five years ago.

Originally Posted by Sam Hobbs
I bought a Slime extra-thick Presta tube from a vendor in eBay and after a while the stem popped off. Since it was in a rim with a hole that Schrader fits through, that might have contributed to the failure. I bought Schrader from an eBay vendor (probably the same vendor) to replace it and it also broke at the stem. I heard that Slime had a bad batch and that might have been the main reason for the failures.

I am not sure I know what size to get. I suppose that if we had a caliper I could figure it out. Or I suppose I can find specifications for the relevant sizes of Presta and Schrader valve stem diameters.
I had a thorn resistant tube (extra thick rubber) and presta valve. The Wheels Manufacturing adapter that I had in the rim might have caused the puncture that I got very close to the presta valve. The tube was quite thick but was very very thin close to the valve stem. I plan to switch to Mavic presta adapters when I change tubes on wheels where I have these adapters installed.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/rims-tap...eder-to-presta

I was placing an order with SJS already so I bought several from them, but if you are in USA there probably are cheaper ways to buy these, maybe from a local bike shop?

Wrapping electrical tape around a presta valve would probably produce a very similar result too.
Old 07-22-17, 03:53 PM
Sam Hobbs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Wrapping electrical tape around a presta valve would probably produce a very similar result too.
I'll probably do that if I don't find something better.

Yes, I am in California and there are more than 8 bike shops relatively close by. I hope to be able to go talk with some of them. I have been having really bad luck with flats with a variety of causes.
Old 07-22-17, 04:04 PM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
If you've got 8 bike shops nearby, then surely you can easily obtain an adapter. It fits into the Schrader hole. They're not hard to find. There should be no need for you to mess around with tape or grommets.

Last edited by axolotl; 07-22-17 at 04:15 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.