Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

How much does Internet shopping assist you to be car-light or car-free?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

How much does Internet shopping assist you to be car-light or car-free?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-13, 06:44 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
It can be a useful tool for me when I'm too tired, for example, to head off to a big box store to buy shoes. I hate shopping actually.

Recently, I discovered I didn't have a battery left in the house. At the time, the weather was bad and I really didn't feel like a trip to my local store (Walmart). So I went to Amazon and bought some Eneloops... rechargeable.

But..... I am a bit wary of buying clothing and shoes on the Internet. If the merchandise doesn't fit, it's a major pain to return it.
I buy from places like LLBean which have free shipping both ways if there is an issue. I got a batch of shirts for Christmas, they all went back due to not being properly sized. No hassles. I have a very hard time finding clothes that fit in the stores. Once I find a brand that works, I will typically stick with it until they change or discontinue. Zappos is good for shoes. Work boots are another story...

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 02-14-13, 09:11 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,545 Times in 1,051 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I use it to convert free books from a variety of sources to the platform I need for my Kindle. None of my friends have e-readers, that I am aware of. I also use it to convert a variety of technical manuals from PDF to something that the Kindle can handle. It allows me to read them without using my laptop or hauling a hard copy along. To me it is just another tool to make things work for me.
OK then can I assume that books, free or not, cannot be downloaded with the Calibre program or from the Calibre site?

Does anyone know of a source for downloading or borrowing free audio or electronic books that are more current than references and public domain classics, other than libraries?
Old 02-14-13, 11:02 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
OK then can I assume that books, free or not, cannot be downloaded with the Calibre program or from the Calibre site?

Does anyone know of a source for downloading or borrowing free audio or electronic books that are more current than references and public domain classics, other than libraries?
https://www.bookbub.com/home/ (kindle, nook, apple)
ibooks store (Apple only)

I already posted these, but maybe you missed them.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-14-13, 06:05 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

I don't think Calibre downloads books, just converts them. I use Project Gutenberg, Free-Ebooks, some stuff is better than others. Every now and again Amazon will give some away too. I believe if you have Amazon Prime there a lot of books that can be read for free. Amazon Prime costs $79 a year, but there are other perks with the Prime membership.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 02-14-13, 06:23 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,545 Times in 1,051 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
https://www.bookbub.com/home/ (kindle, nook, apple)
ibooks store (Apple only)

I already posted these, but maybe you missed them.
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I don't think Calibre downloads books, just converts them. I use Project Gutenberg, Free-Ebooks, some stuff is better than others. Every now and again Amazon will give some away too. I believe if you have Amazon Prime there a lot of books that can be read for free. Amazon Prime costs $79 a year, but there are other perks with the Prime membership.
Thanks to you both.
Old 02-14-13, 07:33 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

I just checked and Calibre is a conversion and library management tool. It does have an interesting side feature that I have not tried, it allows you to down load news from websites and convert it to a readable format. I may have to give that a try on my older Kindle Touch. They do have a link on their home page to a lot of free and low cost DRM free E-books. I have not had a chance to browse the list, but there look to be several thousand available.

FWIW I use the Kindle Reader application across several platforms to read PDF files in general. Currently I have it installed on an iPad, Android Tablet, Android phone and a Blackberry... Amazon allows the various platforms to sync to each other if you choose too. So a book that you are reading on the Kindle can be picked up and read starting in the same spot on the iPad or the Blackberry.

Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 02-14-13, 11:26 PM
Bikepacker67
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
I have been car-free since 1989 and car-light since 1975,
Wow...
I've seen your videos, and you must have one helluva guardian angel to have lasted that long!

You scare me.
Old 02-15-13, 07:49 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1435 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 221 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikepacker67
Wow...
I've seen your videos, and you must have one helluva guardian angel to have lasted that long!
I am not superstitious. I look both ways before crossing any street and use empty road spaces that usually just go to waste. Pretty simple.
Old 02-16-13, 06:39 AM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't have the bike that I have, if it wasn't for the internet. I first saw the Xtracycle FreeRadical online. I bought the donor bike at the LBS.
I got most of my parts and accessories for my bike online. Some of the things that I wanted, aren't even being made any more, so, I had to use the 'bay.

As far as day to day, not so much.
Old 02-17-13, 07:48 AM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Get one of your U.S. relatives/friends with a decent library to send you their library card number. More than likely you could borrow ebooks for free on-line from that library.
Thanks for that.
Old 02-17-13, 10:27 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Ekdog
Thanks for that.
I don't know about that.

When I got my library card, I agreed that I wouldn't let other people use it. You are not paying any taxes or fees to an American library, so you have no right to use it for free when everybody else is paying.

My library, and I assume many others, does offer lending privileges to non-residents, but for that you will have to pay an annual fee.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-17-13, 11:31 AM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
I don't know about that.

When I got my library card, I agreed that I wouldn't let other people use it. You are not paying any taxes or fees to an American library, so you have no right to use it for free when everybody else is paying.

My library, and I assume many others, does offer lending privileges to non-residents, but for that you will have to pay an annual fee.
OK, thanks for that, too.