Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

It just doesnt make any sense

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

It just doesnt make any sense

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-21, 06:55 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
One of a big reasons for a 1X system is that it allows a suspension system to pedal well in almost all gear combinations. No more need to try to optimize pedaling for the granny and have it bob like crazy in the middle or big ring. Most people don't seem to understand the role of the drivetrain in suspension performance/action. 1X systems were the game changer.
I would agree. If you were MTB'ing in the 1990s, the array of full-suspension designs was staggering.

However, here in the BikeForums universe, that never happened. There have only been three mountain bikes; department store Huffy's, Danny MacAskill's Freeride rig, and the '85 Schwinn High Sierra. Suspension development started and ended with the Scott Unishock.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 11-01-21, 06:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Why do I think "It just doesn't make any sense" sounds like a good title for a BF theme song?

Maybe a new page? .... sort of "foo-boost." We could move certain posts there based on the poster, without even having to read them .....
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-01-21, 07:01 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Nobody is claiming that triples don’t make any sense to some people. Yet the OP comes along and states that a universal modern 1x mtb gearing is senseless. He didn’t even refer to a road 1x setup that would have been at least debatable.

Why triples are disappearing is a good question. What it has to do with the rise of 1x is just about nothing.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-01-21, 07:07 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4427 Post(s)
Liked 4,879 Times in 3,020 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Why triples are disappearing is a good question. What it has to do with the rise of 1x is just about nothing.
So you don’t think triples have disappeared from MTBs due to the rise of 1x drivetrains?
Old 11-01-21, 07:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

So you don’t think triples have disappeared from MTBs due to the rise of 1x drivetrains?

I don't MTB, so if you say so. I don't know if they wouldn't have just gone from triples to doubles as road bikes largely did.
Old 11-01-21, 07:35 AM
PeteHski

I don't MTB, so if you say so. I don't know if they wouldn't have just gone from triples to doubles as road bikes largely did.
The MTB world pretty much went straight from 3x to 1x. There was always the double + bash ring option for those who didn’t see the point of a big ring on their MTB. But once 1x took hold nearly a decade ago then nobody looked back.

I don’t remember triples ever being popular on road bikes except for touring. All my road bikes have been 2x since the early 80s.
Old 11-01-21, 07:55 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

The MTB world pretty much went straight from 3x to 1x. There was always the double + bash ring option for those who didn’t see the point of a big ring on their MTB. But once 1x took hold nearly a decade ago then nobody looked back.

I don’t remember triples ever being popular on road bikes except for touring. All my road bikes have been 2x since the early 80s.

I consider most hybrids to have been flat bar road bikes because that's how they were generally used in the States. They were, for a while, THE utility bikes here. It was very common to have triples on them.

What I don't know about MTB could fill volumes.
Old 11-01-21, 08:06 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Triples were pretty rare on road bikes back in the day. Campy made a beautiful triple, I only recall seeing one. It was on Bicycling Magazine Editor-in-Chief's bike, Ed Pavelka had one on his custom made Tom Kellog Spectrum that went to PBP a few times. Back then, most high quality RD would only shift a 26 or 28 cog and the bolt circle diameter of the crankset limited you to 41 or 42. There were two solutions to a lower gear for climbing, install a triple and/or install a Deore or Huet RD and a 32T back there.

I think the big problem 1X solved for MTB riders was chain suck and one does not need as many tight gears as on the road because the speeds are lower on a MtB and the forces to overcome are generally more linear (slower speed = less wind, and lousy surfaces = more rolling resistance)
Old 11-01-21, 08:13 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked 7,312 Times in 2,951 Posts
Somewhat popular, and certainly readily available. I bought a Madone 12 (?) years ago that was available with either a compact or a triple, and (presumably) also a standard. Pretty much wiped out by compacts.
Old 11-01-21, 08:29 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,183 Times in 772 Posts
Triples only made sense when we only had 7 - 9 speed cassettes in back.
Likes For prj71:
Old 11-01-21, 09:39 AM
PeteHski

Anyway the main point is that 1x does make sense on the bikes that actually run 12 speed 50T+ rear cassettes. It's triples that don't make sense on those bikes anymore, which is why they have all but disappeared out of that market through lack of demand.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-01-21, 09:52 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
All of my bikes are singlespeed and fixed gear, this thread just doesn't make any sense to me.

You should see what they’re saying about it over on the unicycle forum. What kind of idiot need brakes, handlebars, chains, or friends?
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 11-01-21, 10:24 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I no longer have any bikes with three chainrings. They're unnecessary for my type of riding. But it's not that they "don't make sense" to me. They make complete sense for certain types of riding, as others have pointed out.

My wife, on the other hand, enjoys having a triple. She rarely uses the large chainring, though. She's a true spinner.
Old 11-01-21, 10:37 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked 7,312 Times in 2,951 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
You should see what they’re saying about it over on the unicycle forum. What kind of idiot need brakes, handlebars, chains, or friends?
You forgot the second wheel. Who needs that?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-01-21, 10:48 AM
PeteHski

I consider most hybrids to have been flat bar road bikes because that's how they were generally used in the States. They were, for a while, THE utility bikes here. It was very common to have triples on them.

What I don't know about MTB could fill volumes.
Tourers and hybrids were the main market for road triples over here. Road race bikes with drop bars were/are almost exclusively doubles, even with only 5 or 6 rear sprockets. Only bikes I've ever owned with triples were MTBs up to around 2014 when I got my first 1x MTB, which was a total revelation. It's hard to overstate how much better 1x is on technical single track. No more risk of dropped chains or having to plan front downshifts coming out of steep dips into aggressive climbs. Smaller front chainring also helps with clearance over obstacles. 1x also frees up your left hand for the dropper post. There are no downsides that I can think of for 1x MTB use. Maybe that's why 99% of MTBs are now 1x. For road use it's a lot more marginal, which is why 2x still dominates the road market. At least for now. As for triples? Bit of a niche market really. Who really needs 3x12 gearing?
Old 11-01-21, 10:57 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by prj71
Triples only made sense when we only had 7 - 9 speed cassettes in back.
Not true for many riders.

How do you get a sub 20 inch low and a 120+ inch high with a 2x or 1x. There are riders in some locales who need those ranges and are also not willing to have big steps in the cruising gears.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 11-01-21, 11:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Tourers and hybrids were the main market for road triples over here. Road race bikes with drop bars were/are almost exclusively doubles, even with only 5 or 6 rear sprockets. Only bikes I've ever owned with triples were MTBs up to around 2014 when I got my first 1x MTB, which was a total revelation. It's hard to overstate how much better 1x is on technical single track. No more risk of dropped chains or having to plan front downshifts coming out of steep dips into aggressive climbs. Smaller front chainring also helps with clearance over obstacles. 1x also frees up your left hand for the dropper post. There are no downsides that I can think of for 1x MTB use. Maybe that's why 99% of MTBs are now 1x. For road use it's a lot more marginal, which is why 2x still dominates the road market. At least for now. As for triples? Bit of a niche market really. Who really needs 3x12 gearing?

Cue the guys who road ride in mountain states. They need a high gear descending, and a very low gear ascending.

There were a fair number of drop bar triples being marketed as "endurance fit" or something similar in the U.S. if I recall correctly.

I don't want to start up another row about my gearing (not referring to you), but I think you could understand why I'd have no interest in 1x for a road bike. When I had a triple on my FX3, I almost never went below the middle chain ring.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-01-21, 11:06 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by GhostRider62

How do you get a sub 20 inch low and a 120+ inch high with a 2x or 1x. There are riders in some locales who need those ranges and are also not willing to have big steps in the cruising gears.
Yeah, well that's not really many riders is it?
Old 11-01-21, 11:07 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I think that's the trouble for finding triples going forward--the people who need them really really need them (e.g., road riders in mountainous places), but there may not be enough of those people to justify continuing to mass produce them economically.
Old 11-01-21, 11:09 AM
PeteHski

Cue the guys who road ride in mountain states. They need a high gear descending, and a very low gear ascending.

There were a fair number of drop bar triples being marketed as "endurance fit" or something similar in the U.S. if I recall correctly.

I don't want to start up another row about my gearing (not referring to you), but I think you could understand why I'd have no interest in 1x for a road bike. When I had a triple on my FX3, I almost never went below the middle chain ring.
Compact doubles are pretty popular in the Alps. You don't actually need a very high gear for descending steep slopes. You actually need good brakes!
Old 11-01-21, 11:09 AM
GhostRider62

I think that's the trouble for finding triples going forward--the people who need them really really need them (e.g., road riders in mountainous places), but there may not be enough of those people to justify continuing to mass produce them economically.
Shimano produces them. You can buy triple cranks in EU but not USA. It is a marketing thing. SRAM especially is shoving 1X and weird gearing down our throats.
Old 11-01-21, 11:10 AM
GhostRider62

Compact doubles are pretty popular in the Alps. You don't actually need a very high gear for descending steep slopes. You actually need good brakes!
The Alps are not especially steep.
Old 11-01-21, 11:11 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Yeah, I realize it is hard to ride a bent anywhere that isn't flat .... but if you cannot understand 1x12 off-road, it is because you are willfully ignorant. You have been riding for way too long not to understand gearing ... . but old guys like you sometimes Want not to understand, and act foolish to try to pretend to be wise.

Anyone with a lot of off-road miles understand 1x. Either you lack the experience and choose not to extrapolate from your road riding, or you have the experience and are just being a donkey.
Nice personal attack. Maybe the moderator should take notice. As a mechanical tech among other things, I assure you I know a lot about gearing.

As others have stated, it is just something new the mfg want you to bite on, to be "up to date"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fortunately most of us ARE NOT so "ignorant" as to bite on this continuing sales ploy.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 11-01-21, 11:12 AM
PeteHski

The Alps are not especially steep.
So are you seriously going to argue that you need a bigger gear to descend say a 20% slope?
Or are you talking about super low gears?
Old 11-01-21, 11:13 AM
GhostRider62

Yeah, well that's not really many riders is it?
Well, it depends on the forum. Virtually every trike rider needs gears that low. Most velomobile riders would kill for a 20 inch gear and 140 inch top gear. Touring cyclists need low and high gears. As do most fast recumbent riders. Probably a lot more than you think

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.