Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Saddles - how do you choose one?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-09, 05:41 AM
agarose2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I've been getting some focal sore spots under one leg on my long rides, no matter white I do - Assos bibs + chamois creme + bodyglide. It could be that I've recently ramped up riding volume (hit 150+ mi last week, but that'll be a bigger week for me), but I'd still rather be safe than sorry as it has become perhaps the most limiting factor on my long endurance rides. (The legs can still sprint after 75 hilly miles, but the butt rebels...)

I'm looking to try new saddles now, but I'm not sure how I can sample more than one saddle at a time to actually compare. Are you stuck pretty much buying one, mounting it, then returning it to the store if it's not doing it for you? Or is there a better way to tell more quickly in the store?

My saddle unfortunately feels fine under 20 miles, and really only becomes somewhat problematic after 50, so I doubt that I can just jump onto one in the LBS and instantly tell that "this is the one" - but maybe that's possible?

PS - Riding a stock Selle Italia that came with my Cervelo P2C TT Bike.
Old 07-01-09, 05:50 AM
matanza

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
go the nearest lbs close your eyes pick one and ride!! that's how everyone starts. Happy trails!
Old 07-01-09, 06:10 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I discovered fairly early on that I need a saddle that curves up at the back. I can ride mishapen rocks as long as they curve up in the back.

That was confirmed when I bought Machak, and he had a Ldy Selle Italia on him ... as flat as a pancake. I couldn't do more than 100 km on that saddle without feeling like my backbone was going to drop out of my body.

I also need a saddle that is a certain width, and I know that width by sight ... interestingly all the saddles I've ever purchased have been the right width. It has only been when I've been given a saddle that it has been the wrong width.

So knowing the width and shape of saddle I need, I purchased a Radical for $14 from a bin in an LBS in Winnipeg back in ... hmmmm ... I'm thinking 1999 or 2000. Either my last year or racing, or the year before last of racing. And I raced on it for a year (or two) before starting to get into Randonneuring.

I rode that saddle for a full SR series (200K, 300K, 400K, and 600K) in 2001, an SR series and the RM1200 in 2002, an SR series and the PBP in 2003.

It was at the PBP where I was really introduced to Brooks saddles. I'd venture a guess that most of the 4000 riders on that event rode Brooks saddles, and to me, they looked horrible. Hard and painful. I asked my two best friends there why on earth they would use a Brooks (both did), and they both raved about how comfortable it was. Yeah, right.

Early in 2004, all of a sudden I developed nasty sciatic nerve pain down my left leg. I could barely ride I was in so much pain. So I decided to bite the bullet and buy a Brooks. I got a Brooks B17 Standard Men's with help from Bill at Wallingford (the place to get your first Brooks because of the helpfulness f the place and because of the 6-month guarantee).

When I got it, I tried and tried to ride it, but was in agony. And then a poster by the name of Rowan suggest I tip the nose up. I did ... and a couple weeks later I rode a 1000K randonnee with it, and was fine.

My first Brooks has something like 50,000 km on it now and it is still going just fine. It's beautifully broken in and fits like an easy chair.

I have a second Brooks B17 now which I need to start breaking in ... I want to put it on my mtn bike which my husband Rowan bought for me.
Old 07-01-09, 06:15 AM
agarose2000

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For some reason, a Brooks saddle on a modern carbon fiber TT framed Cervelo seems like it would look really goofy. As nice as those saddles seem to be.
Old 07-01-09, 06:22 AM
jrobe

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
I am sure this guy wants a Brooks saddle on his P2C.

I have bought and sold about 8 used saddles on Ebay and broke even most of the time (a few times I actually made a little). Trial and error unfortunately is the only way.

My Cervelo P2SL TT bike came with a Profile Design timetrial saddle. I thought it was just a throwaway and tossed in my junk box. I rode it with a Fizik Arione and eventually with a Selle Italia SLR for quite a while but had trouble with longer rides. One day I decided to put the Profile Design Elite TT saddle back on and it is the best saddle I have ever ridden for longer rides. It isn't coming off. Again, trial and error is the only way.
Old 07-01-09, 06:24 AM
agarose2000

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For any of you, does price have ANYTHING to do with comfort? Or is there no correlation?
Old 07-01-09, 06:43 AM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OP - have your tried tweeking your saddle left or right of center to adjust for the sore spot? I had a minor issue with chaffing on one side and a ~1mm tweek seemed to fix the problem. Not sure if your problem is similar, or more related to sit bones.
Old 07-01-09, 06:59 AM
agarose2000

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FLvector
OP - have your tried tweeking your saddle left or right of center to adjust for the sore spot? I had a minor issue with chaffing on one side and a ~1mm tweek seemed to fix the problem. Not sure if your problem is similar, or more related to sit bones.
Good idea. I'll see how much tweakage I can muster - I have one of those funky Cervelo aero rectangular seatposts, but I should be able to tweak it a bit.
Old 07-01-09, 07:03 AM
Jynx

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale CAAD8

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
you must know what you DONT like about your current saddle and go from there. Too wide, try narrower. to narrow, try wider. to flat, try curved, to short, try long, ect.. Keep the same dimensions you do like. Like a saddle that is flat but too narrow. get one that is flat but wider ect... Take note of width, flatness front to back, and flatness side to side. Figure out what you like and then buy from there.

Buy your bike parts here
Old 07-01-09, 07:31 AM
bdcheung
Carpe Diem

Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Trial and error.
Old 07-01-09, 07:37 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
how many do people get through before they find one that works? my second one seems to do the biz.
Old 07-01-09, 07:43 AM
jrobe

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
"For any of you, does price have ANYTHING to do with comfort? "

No correlation at all from my experience. In fact, the more expensive saddles are often made to be as light as possible which in many cases makes them less comfortable for me for longer rides.
Old 07-01-09, 07:44 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
I've been through about 8 saddles so far and haven't found one that I think is 'the one'.
Old 07-01-09, 07:49 AM
bigtea

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by agarose2000
For some reason, a Brooks saddle on a modern carbon fiber TT framed Cervelo seems like it would look really goofy. As nice as those saddles seem to be.
Unfortunately too many cyclists make component decisions based on appearance rather than function. I ride with a San Marco Rolls on my Litespeed because I think it is the best saddle for me. The same is true with my Ultegra drive train, Thomson seatpost, and every other component on my bike. Everything on my bike I hand picked for function, durability, value, and comfort.

I see lots of people on bikes who appear to be riding for recreation and fitness, just like me, and they've spent a lot of money for appearance with ultralight racing saddles, carbon fiber cranks, pro frames with racing geometry, and $200 helmets. More power to them, but I have to wonder if they ever realize anything more than attitude for choosing appearance over function.
Old 07-01-09, 07:51 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
I've been through about 8 saddles so far and haven't found one that I think is 'the one'.
sounds like dating
Old 07-01-09, 07:54 AM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 437 Posts
I'm looking to try new saddles now, but I'm not sure how I can sample more than one saddle at a time to actually compare. Are you stuck pretty much buying one, mounting it, then returning it to the store if it's not doing it for you? Or is there a better way to tell more quickly in the store?
Although I haven't tried this, it was mentioned in a recent thread (forgot which).

Competitive Cyclist's demo program allows you to try 11 saddles for a week.
Old 07-01-09, 08:16 AM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Finding the perfect saddle:

Old 07-01-09, 09:45 AM
meanwhile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So people haven't found Specialized's ass-measuring system and associated saddles a great success?
Old 07-01-09, 10:01 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Originally Posted by meanwhile
So people haven't found Specialized's ass-measuring system and associated saddles a great success?
That's a joke. Specialized makes some good saddles but you can't use a measuring system to narrow it down. Most stores that used to promote the concept don't now because they found it doesn't work
Old 07-01-09, 10:30 AM
Psyclismo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skijor
Although I haven't tried this, it was mentioned in a recent thread (forgot which).

Competitive Cyclist's demo program allows you to try 11 saddles for a week.
I tried this earlier this season. They send you a bunch of saddles in a large plastic case, and you try them out for a week. It's easy to narrow down the candidates in fairly short order, but takes a while longer to settle on "the one". $35 of the $70 cost is applied to a saddle if you buy one from them. I highly recommend the program!
Old 07-01-09, 10:37 AM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12197 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts
focal sore spots under one leg
What does focal mean, and where exactly is it sore?

When you said one leg I wondered if you might have legs of different length, and if this might be the cause, or part of the cause.

If you have an old innersole that is quite thin, cut it to fit the bottom of the cycling shoe on your sore leg. Try that. If you don't, you can make a shim from most anything. I have used plastic gallon milk jugs, carboard folders from a file cabinet, etc.

Look at the bottom of a pair of old shoes or sneakers, is there a pattern of wear more to one side on either shoe?
Old 07-01-09, 10:41 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Maybe get of that tri bike you insist on riding all the time. Those things are not meant to be ridden so much...
Old 07-01-09, 10:50 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by coasting
sounds like dating

The winner!
Old 07-01-09, 10:57 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
That's a joke. Specialized makes some good saddles but you can't use a measuring system to narrow it down. Most stores that used to promote the concept don't now because they found it doesn't work
It tells me to stay away from Spec saddles in teh 130 mm range, like teh Alias 130 and Toupe 130. And I do have trouble with them, as far as finding two places to perch that feel secure. As well I have trouble finding my bone supports on an E3 Form. A B17N is about as wide as a Spec 143, and it doesn't work badly, at least yet. Alias and Toupe 143 are decent as far as support, but hard to slide on to adjust position.

But, lately I also like my super-wide Ideale 92 at 165 mm, at least up to 40 miles. So I'm going to try a B17 next, at least if the 17N doesn't work out.

I need a saddle singles network.

Really, the Specialized system has been helpful, but it's not the final answer, at least for me.
Old 07-01-09, 01:06 PM
Nestor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been getting some focal sore spots under one leg on my long rides, no matter white I do - Assos bibs + chamois creme + bodyglide. It could be that I've recently ramped up riding volume (hit 150+ mi last week, but that'll be a bigger week for me), but I'd still rather be safe than sorry as it has become perhaps the most limiting factor on my long endurance rides. (The legs can still sprint after 75 hilly miles, but the butt rebels...)

My saddle unfortunately feels fine under 20 miles, and really only becomes somewhat problematic after 50, so I doubt that I can just jump onto one in the LBS and instantly tell that "this is the one" - but maybe that's possible?

PS - Riding a stock Selle Italia that came with my Cervelo P2C TT Bike.
Did you copy my thread?? Same thing here. Randonneuring, and my butt is giving out long before the rest of me. I, too, have purchased Assos this year, along with chamois butter, and a micro-adjustable seat post (Easton).

I've been working with a LBS to try and find a solution. The one saleslady keeps steering me away from the B17, but they do keep accepting my returns. This time, however, I'm going to stand my ground and get them to order me a Brooks.

One issue I was having was the "sweet spot" angle for my seat was right in between the adjustment my seat post provided. A two-bolt system has resolved at least that, if not the chafing and sit-bones issue.

I took a sit-bone measurement and they're very wide. Problem is, this puts me into seats that are wide overall, and cause chafing.

I'm hoping the B17 will finally resolve all of these issues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.