Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Kind of unhappy.

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Kind of unhappy.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-10, 08:50 PM
awshucks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kind of unhappy.

This morning I woke up and it was one of those days. For a long time now, since the first time I saw a fully loaded touring bike on the internet I just wanted to get up and leave. Far. I have been unhappy for awhile with living arrangements, work, anxieties of what to do with the rest of my life. I have money saved up so I have decided tomorrow I am putting my two weeks in, buying the maps of half of the souther tier aca route and leaving asap, headed toward st. augustine. I will make it back before the summer semester starts and I can go back feeling a bit more alive. I also have money in another savings account saved up to help me transition back into things when I return. So far it's looking good. Any words of encouragment, advice, tips, discussion? I have toured before, twice. However, these were just day trips to campgrounds.
Old 04-07-10, 08:59 PM
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.

Bikes: Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nothing will improve your attitude and outlook upon life like a tour.... Sounds like you have a plan. The finances for said plan and a need for a break.

Good for you!

I want to ride my bicycle bicycle bicycle; I want to ride my bicycle; I want to ride my bike; I want to ride my bicycle; I want to ride it where I like...; I don't believe in Peter Pan, Frankenstein or Superman; All I wanna do is bicycle, bicycle, bicycle...
Freddie Mercury
Old 04-07-10, 09:51 PM
nancy sv
family on bikes

Bikes: which one?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Go for it! It sounds like you have a great plan in place. Don't worry about the touring - it comes naturally and you'll figure things out as you need to know them.
Old 04-07-10, 09:55 PM
ubermensch84

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel the same way

I have a solid amount of money and the ability to make more from anywhere in the world. I expect to be gone soon and no idea when I'll be back
Old 04-08-10, 10:32 AM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
One warning: on every tour I can remember I've had moments of depression, second thoughts, worry, etc. But those moods always pass. Looking back after the tour is over, I've felt overwhelmingly positive; the tours have been some of the best events in my life!

Your life's concerns and worries won't magically leave your mind as you head out on tour. However, my experience has been that they gradually fade further into the background, as do the worries over the tour itself. I settle into a routine. I deal with each day's challenges, and feel competant to handle them. I usually settle into a groove where I feel much healthier, stronger, and in control than I do at home!

If you get on the road and find yourself having occasional bouts of doubt, depression, etc. my advice is to keep going and see if they pass. I'll bet they do!

Have a great tour!
Old 04-08-10, 11:57 AM
antokelly

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ahshucks don't worry be happy as the song goes.listen go for it have yourself a blast make sure you have enough gear to keep you warm dry and fed and a wee bit of music will chase those blues away.
best of luck post a few pic's when you get going.
Old 04-08-10, 12:16 PM
wrafl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You seem to really need it and deserve it. Go for it, you got nothing to lose. You will forget all the worries while on the bike and focus more on the tour to get safely to the other end of your final destination. Enjoy the scenery and experience meeting other cyclists on the road. Go man.
Old 04-08-10, 12:28 PM
Gordon P

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Many years ago I went into a very bad depression which lasted over 7 months. So my girlfriend and I split up, I put everything into storage, quit my job with lots of notice and gave up my apartment. The landlord had a look of puzzlement on her face when I turned in my apartment keys with a canoe pack on my back and with my PFD and two paddles in hand. I hopped on the subway system during the morning rush-hour to the Toronto harbour and took off in my canoe and paddled around Ontario for 2 ½ months. With lots of sunshine and freedom my depression cleared up in about a month!

So go for it!

However, if your depression persists don’t hesitate to seek out professional assistance.

Gordon

Old 04-08-10, 12:48 PM
Chop61

Bikes: Pinarello Road, Surly LHT, Dolan Track, Fuji Supreme, Guru Ti Tri, Bamboo

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm wildly envious. I think a shift in focus and new experiences are exactly what you need. Best of luck. You are responsible for your own happiness.
Old 04-08-10, 01:19 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
eat, drink, ride, sleep. Can't beat it.
Old 04-11-10, 04:08 PM
one-headedboy

Bikes: Raleigh Sojourn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by awshucks
This morning I woke up and it was one of those days. For a long time now, since the first time I saw a fully loaded touring bike on the internet I just wanted to get up and leave. Far. I have been unhappy for awhile with living arrangements, work, anxieties of what to do with the rest of my life. I have money saved up so I have decided tomorrow I am putting my two weeks in, buying the maps of half of the souther tier aca route and leaving asap, headed toward st. augustine. I will make it back before the summer semester starts and I can go back feeling a bit more alive. I also have money in another savings account saved up to help me transition back into things when I return. So far it's looking good. Any words of encouragment, advice, tips, discussion? I have toured before, twice. However, these were just day trips to campgrounds.
I feel we're in pretty similar boats, man. I don't have any money saved up from when I get back, but I really don't care. It felt weird putting in my two weeks notice to my job, though. I wish you the best of luck dude.
Old 04-11-10, 05:29 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
How old are you? If you are young then I say go for it. In fact I wish I had your courage when I was just a youngster.

If you are a fifty+ year old dude like me then the smart thing to do (unless you are independently wealthy) is to stay put.

I have been recently going through a similar bout of depression. I find that it is getting more difficult everyday to drag myself out of bed and off to work,

It seems the only time I am truly happy is when I am on tour or zipping through the waters of the Caribbean on a Laser.

But unless I hit the lottery I will have to suck it up and just look forward to my next tour.
Old 04-11-10, 08:33 PM
Weasel9
Dumpster cyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rock on! Soak up words of encouragement, and ignore those of doubt. I think that's a fantastic choice. It's incredible what kind of life changes can be brought about by a tour.
Old 04-12-10, 06:45 AM
Cyclist0094
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everyone goes through it . I went through it and took off on my bike across the country 30 years ago . My son (23) went through it ,He took a year off from school and wandered around Europe for 5 months with a rail pass and a freaky chick he met in Vienna. He is back and more focused on his goals than he ever was.

As for wondering what to do with the rest of your life, I'm 53 and still wondering

Now get your ass out on the road!
Old 04-12-10, 07:12 AM
kuan
Twincities MN

Bikes: Fat Caad Lefty, Foundry Overland.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by velonomad
Everyone goes through it . I went through it and took off on my bike across the country 30 years ago . My son (23) went through it ,He took a year off from school and wandered around Europe for 5 months with a rail pass and a freaky chick he met in Vienna. He is back and more focused on his goals than he ever was.

As for wondering what to do with the rest of your life, I'm 53 and still wondering

Now get your ass out on the road!
What happened to the freaky chick?
Old 04-12-10, 06:32 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by kuan
What happened to the freaky chick?

And If there are no pictures it did not happen.
Old 04-12-10, 07:57 PM
bootskelsey62
Bike nutz for 45+ years

Bikes: Which one?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're my hero....I'm struggling just to find time and justification to do a 4 day ride on the Allegheny.
Old 04-13-10, 12:30 AM
jurjan

Bikes: Idworx Easy Rohler (2012) / Velotraum Speedster Single Speed (2019) / Batavus Stabilo (1995, now decommisioned)

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I agree with most everybody here.
Just don't expect the 'depression' to melt away the moment butt hits saddle.
after a while it'll just be gone.
if not: please think long and hard about getting some professional help, because there may be something else going on.
Old 04-13-10, 01:05 AM
himfilth

Bikes: 09 Giant Defy 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck and take LOTS of pictures!!!!
Old 04-13-10, 06:07 AM
Cyclist0094
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
And If there are no pictures it did not happen.
I would post the pictures but he was smart enough to send them to his mother's cell phone instead of mine, and her knowing that I will bust his stones won't let me download them I guess what happened in Vienna will stay in Vienna.