Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Which Tadpole plus Options Would Be Your Ideal Choice?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-23, 01:59 PM
newbert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts

Budget aside, which tadpole recumbent (plus options) would be your ideal choice for a rider like me?

I'm 70 years old and need the daily exercise a 'bent trike provides. I currently ride a Catrike Villager with pedal e-assist, which is great for around town on smooth paved surfaces. However, I have a lot of unpaved (gravel and/or crushed stone) bike paths and rural roads in my area that I would also like to ride on, but the Villager just doesn't cut it on those (ie - too bumpy and rough a ride). My area is also hilly, so that needs to be factored in as well.

From my research, it looks like Azub, HP Velotechnic and ICE seem to the "big three" for high performance trikes. Expensive, but again, let's not consider that for now. If there are other, please consider them as well.)

In terms of optional features, my priorities would be in this order:

Comfort: Although I'm not interested in riding thru the woods on rough mountain bike trails, I do want to ride on gravel and crushed stone in addition to paved routes. So, good suspension would be needed to smooth out the ride.

Some kind of power-assist or extra-wide gearing range: To me, that would mean either e-assist (like the Bosch my Villager has) and/or a "Pinion" unit in front and/or an internal hub (like Rohloff) in back. Or perhaps there are other options?

Foldable: While it might be nice, it's not an absolute need since I already have an adjustable trike rack for my car.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on which make/model/options would be ideal for me. If more info on my needs is helpful, just ask away.

Thanks!

Bert
Old 01-10-23, 02:05 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Look for a used GreenSpeed Magnum.

Old 01-10-23, 02:40 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I had a trike after my heart surgery and man, it was a bumpy ride with the stock Marathon. A balloon rear tire at 2 bar was a huge improvement. A Schwalbe, forget which, a Big Apple or something like that. I can see why premium versions have rear suspension, and why some thoughtful design of the frame might be a good idea, rather than just a beam of chromoly with the seat stays going straight from the hub to the shoulder blades

Worry not about riding through the woods on mountain bike trails. They are called single track for a reason
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 01-10-23, 02:48 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
This one: Scorpion fs 20: The Compact Full Suspension Adult Trike (hpvelotechnik.com). They offer optional e-assist. This is my dream trike. Small, fast, folding, comfortable, and beautiful. They offer it with Shimano Steps system. You can also have any after market mid drive installed if you have a preference.
Old 01-10-23, 06:57 PM
newbert

Originally Posted by linberl
This one: Scorpion fs 20: The Compact Full Suspension Adult Trike (hpvelotechnik.com). They offer optional e-assist. This is my dream trike. Small, fast, folding, comfortable, and beautiful. They offer it with Shimano Steps system. You can also have any after market mid drive installed if you have a preference.
Thanks for your recommendation. But, other than price, why would you prefer the FS-20 over the FS-26? Wouldn't the FS-26 inherently provide a smoother ride?
Old 01-10-23, 07:08 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by newbert
Thanks for your recommendation. But, other than price, why would you prefer the FS-20 over the FS-26? Wouldn't the FS-26 inherently provide a smoother ride?
With full suspension I don't think a 26" is a big factor, and 20" wheels are stronger. Also creates a more compact unit esp. if you do fold it.
Old 01-12-23, 12:58 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
An Azub 26 TiFly. IMO it is the absolute top of the heap. Like most everything, the more you pay the more you get. Up to a point on some things anyway.

Last edited by rydabent; 01-25-23 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-12-23, 08:40 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Since you specify comfort, and Full Suspension seems to be a part of the answer to that, I want to point out one detail that might be of interest (I only became aware of this recently): the amount of travel in the front suspension is 1+1/2 inches in two of the brands, but is 4 inches in one of them. I can't remember which one (maybe the HPVelo fs Scorpion). At least I think I heard that in a YouTube video a few weeks ago. So if you need max front suspension, you should look into those specs.
Old 01-13-23, 08:31 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
From my experience, I suggest you look at the Catrike Expedition with wide tires. For e-assist, you could get it through Utah Trikes, who will modify it to your specifications. Another option - which I have never ridden - is the Catrike 529 with suspension.
Old 01-19-23, 01:00 AM
7up

Bikes: Aurelia*Bianchi*Cannondale*Colnago*Dahon*Giant*Haro*Lynsky*Monkey Faction*Origin8*Panasonic*Paramont*Peugeot*Ross*Schwinn*SE*Specialized*Trek

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
If you like your trike I’d convert the trike to a fat tired version for a cushier ride or like a few have suggested at least a much wider tire.Full suspension trikes are known for eating up some of your energy output.There are a few really nice units for 2023 but I’d suggest you take each one for a ride personally.whichever one you decide on I’d definitely say Outfit it with a middrive.Good luck.
Old 01-19-23, 10:50 AM
newbert

Originally Posted by 7up
If you like your trike I’d convert the trike to a fat tired version for a cushier ride or like a few have suggested at least a much wider tire.Full suspension trikes are known for eating up some of your energy output.There are a few really nice units for 2023 but I’d suggest you take each one for a ride personally.whichever one you decide on I’d definitely say Outfit it with a middrive.Good luck.
Agree 100% with trying before buying.

Now
(the Adventure) has caught my eye....