Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Experiences with current High Flange Cassette hubs?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Experiences with current High Flange Cassette hubs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-19, 04:33 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Hell of a deal. Those wheelsets used to be a lot more.
I'm not entirely sure what a wheelset like that would cost. I just know I spent a bit more on mine. And that was not a 'as expensive as possible'-build

3590 grams (126.6 oz) for both of these including tyres, inner tubes and cassette.
Old 03-19-19, 05:44 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
28 spokes with vintage shallow depth non aero rims? That may not be the best idea. It certainly would have been ridiculed BITD. There was always some bozo with 28h Medaille d'Or or gold label wheels. Maybe these rims are sufficiently heavy/beefy. Could be since they don't spec the weight.

That is a good deal though. Less than buying the parts and building yourself.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 03-20-19, 07:18 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
28 spokes with vintage shallow depth non aero rims? That may not be the best idea. It certainly would have been ridiculed BITD. There was always some bozo with 28h Medaille d'Or or gold label wheels. Maybe these rims are sufficiently heavy/beefy. Could be since they don't spec the weight.

That is a good deal though. Less than biuying the parts and building yourself.
These are the modern Pacenti Brevet rims that are 435g (in 650B) and have a max tension of 125 kgf. Hope they’re up for the job, as I have a couple in 28h waiting to be built up.
Old 01-13-22, 03:16 PM
izzidunit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
...Almost 3 years later... I found this thread now that I'm in the market for high flange hubs. I've learned so much from this message thread about so many great models I wasn't aware of before! I found some more Hubsmith hidden jems to add to the list that I'm desperate to track down and purchase. I can barely find any information about Hubsmith hubs in general, and absolutely nothing about their classic-style high flange hubs pictured here on the Hubsmith.com website.

Hubsmith hub models:
HS-R017F & HS-R017R
HS-R021F & HS-R021R
HS-R036F & HSR036R
HS-R038F & HSR038R

See photos on their web page at hubsmith[dot][com]/product[dot]php?cata1=1&cata2=3&cata3=32 Unfortunately I'm too new to post photos and links directly in this message yet.

Although they share many design features of classic Campagnolo, Shimano, Suntour and several hubs already on the list, they also have uniquely modern features that stand out:
  • Shimano/SRAM 8/9/10/11 speed cassette compatible
  • Front hubs weigh only: 99g - 118g (61.5mm Flange P.C.D, without quick release skewer)
  • Rear hubs weigh only: 221g - 231g (61.5mm Flange P.C.D, without quick release skewer)
  • Low weights possible with 7075-T6 aluminum axles and freehubs, with 1 steel anti-bite plate
  • Sealed cartridge bearings
  • Spoke hole drillings range from: 8/16h, 20h, 24h, 28h, 32h, and 36h
  • Rear wheel spacing: 130mm
  • Retro 91mm flanges with the HS-R036F & R (slightly heavier)

Questions: Where in the world can I order Hubsmith hubs (from the United States) to try them out myself??? How much do they cost? Are they only available wholesale to wheel and bike manufacturers, or could consumers get them through a local bike shop or wheel builder? Is it possible to alter the rear wheel spacing between 120mm - 142mm by mixing and matching their "hub cinch" parts HS-HCR01R?

Does anyone in the Asian region know of any online retailers I could buy these hubs? I couldn't find anything on eBay, AliExpress, Alibaba, Taobao, or Banggood. I'm limited to searching in English language using Roman characters, so any direct links would help.

Does anyone have any experience using any Hubsmith hubs more recent than this 2017 post on Weight Weenies? I wonder if higher grade models are better quality than the hubs the user had a bad experience with?

Please post any retailer information about or experiences with Hubsmith hubs.

Thank you everyone for your contributions and continuing to adorn bikes with these shiny jewels in 2022 and beyond!

Last edited by izzidunit; 01-13-22 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-19-22, 07:00 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Originally Posted by izzidunit
...Almost 3 years later... I found this thread now that I'm in the market for high flange hubs. I've learned so much from this message thread about so many great models I wasn't aware of before! I found some more Hubsmith hidden jems to add to the list that I'm desperate to track down and purchase. I can barely find any information about Hubsmith hubs in general, and absolutely nothing about their classic-style high flange hubs pictured here on the Hubsmith.com website.

Hubsmith hub models:
HS-R017F & HS-R017R
HS-R021F & HS-R021R
HS-R036F & HSR036R
HS-R038F & HSR038R

See photos on their web page at hubsmith[dot][com]/product[dot]php?cata1=1&cata2=3&cata3=32 Unfortunately I'm too new to post photos and links directly in this message yet.

Although they share many design features of classic Campagnolo, Shimano, Suntour and several hubs already on the list, they also have uniquely modern features that stand out:
  • Shimano/SRAM 8/9/10/11 speed cassette compatible
  • Front hubs weigh only: 99g - 118g (61.5mm Flange P.C.D, without quick release skewer)
  • Rear hubs weigh only: 221g - 231g (61.5mm Flange P.C.D, without quick release skewer)
  • Low weights possible with 7075-T6 aluminum axles and freehubs, with 1 steel anti-bite plate
  • Sealed cartridge bearings
  • Spoke hole drillings range from: 8/16h, 20h, 24h, 28h, 32h, and 36h
  • Rear wheel spacing: 130mm
  • Retro 91mm flanges with the HS-R036F & R (slightly heavier)

Questions: Where in the world can I order Hubsmith hubs (from the United States) to try them out myself??? How much do they cost? Are they only available wholesale to wheel and bike manufacturers, or could consumers get them through a local bike shop or wheel builder? Is it possible to alter the rear wheel spacing between 120mm - 142mm by mixing and matching their "hub cinch" parts HS-HCR01R?

Does anyone in the Asian region know of any online retailers I could buy these hubs? I couldn't find anything on eBay, AliExpress, Alibaba, Taobao, or Banggood. I'm limited to searching in English language using Roman characters, so any direct links would help.

Does anyone have any experience using any Hubsmith hubs more recent than this 2017 post on Weight Weenies? I wonder if higher grade models are better quality than the hubs the user had a bad experience with?

Please post any retailer information about or experiences with Hubsmith hubs.

Thank you everyone for your contributions and continuing to adorn bikes with these shiny jewels in 2022 and beyond!
Asian manufacturers can often be hard to get in touch with. I'm assuming you have already tried their contact form? If you use Google translate on the store locator page you will find several retailers in Hong Kong, Indonesia, Taiwan, Japan and Singapore.
Old 01-22-22, 02:36 PM
izzidunit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hubsmith hub update 1

Originally Posted by JaccoW
Asian manufacturers can often be hard to get in touch with. I'm assuming you have already tried their contact form? If you use Google translate on the store locator page you will find several retailers in Hong Kong, Indonesia, Taiwan, Japan and Singapore.
Hey, thanks for the tips! Yes, I used Google Translate to navigate their "Find A Store" locator page and visited the provided links. There are actually only 3 unique retailers with multiple locations each and I tried all 3 websites. Bikehome[dot]com[dot]tw was the only website set up for online shopping, but it only had Hubsmith wheels for Brompton folding bicycles and no road bike hubs so I moved on to the next-lowest hanging fruit.

The Loro's Japanese bicycle store chain website just posted store locations, hours, and contact info, but offered no online purchasing options (like the majority of local bike shop websites in America). Before resorting to attempting to email Japanese bike shops in English or translating messages into Japanese, I thought I'd first try to message 191[Bike Shop] in Taiwan on Facebook.

I was actually able to communicate with 191[Bike Shop in Taiwan] in English , but before getting into availability or pricing the first thing the salesperson pointed out was that they're only set up to take "Line Pay." I hadn't heard of Line Pay before. Research revealed that Line is a social network messaging app like WhatsApp commonly used in Taiwan, Korea, and Japan (possibly others), which also features Line Pay, a Venmo-like digital payment system. In Asian countries Line Pay seems to be used as frequently as Americans use debit and credit cards, with all the retailers accepting payments for everyday purchases like food and drinks. I almost considered installing the Line app, setting up and account, and linking a burner debit card for payment just so I could find out if they could sell me Hubsmith hubs and how much they'd charge...

...but then I got an email reply in English to my inquiry sent on the Hubsmith contact form! After 6 days of polite emails back and forth between time zones 16-hours apart I found out:
  1. Hubsmith could sell me hubs directly via PayPal since they have no wholesale agreements with any American retailers.
  2. HS-R017F & HS-R017R hubs have been discontinued and no stock remains avaiable for sale.
  3. HS-R038R rear hubs (Campagnolo-style) are in stock for USD $84 each (not including 5% handling charge from Paypal remittance and delivery fee)
  4. HS-R038F USD $161 each (not including 5% handling charge from Paypal remittance and delivery fee)
  5. HS-R021R USD $147 each (not including 5% handling charge from Paypal remittance and delivery fee)
  6. I overlooked asking about HS-R021R rear hub availability.
In the meantime I managed to purchase and receive a Suzue Classica rear hub from an American eBay seller. I requested an HS-038R rear hub from Hubsmith with for $84 and 2 days later am still awaiting a PayPal invoice to complete the purchase. Since I already acquired the one rear hub I needed and already spent that portion of my budget, I couldn't justify spending another $161 for the matching Hubsmith front hub. So I think the Hubsmith sales rep might be blowing me off since I requested only a single rear hub for a measly $84. We'll see if Hubsmith ever sells me a hub. I'm happy with my shiny AF Suzue Classica that was easy to acquire, so I won't bother reverting back to struggling to communicate with the bike shops in Taiwan or Japan. If I do receive a Hubsmith hub I'll follow up and post about my experiences with the quality and the resulting built wheel.

Last edited by izzidunit; 01-22-22 at 02:40 PM.
Likes For izzidunit:
Old 01-22-22, 06:08 PM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 150 Posts
I own these - came as part of a “Hurricane” wheelset that were outfitted on my now gravel bike when purchased (was cyclocross for previous owner).

The hubs (and rims) are surprisingly light compared to Ultegra hubs and Open Pro rims that I am used to. Unfortunately, the rims are trashed after three seasons of riding. I’m transferring the hubs to Rhynolite rims, so from one extreme to the other. Hopefully the hubs are up to the almost-doubled rim mass.
  1. American Classic RD 205 Rear Hub
    • 205 grams/7.23oz, 24/28/32H, Campy/Shimano-compatible, $264
    • Only available in black and a 135mm MTB 210 Rear Hub.
Likes For CO_Hoya:
Old 04-27-22, 01:58 PM
buddiiee 

Bikes: 70's Nuovo Record Jeunet Franche Compte, '88 105 Trek 1200, '85 Victory Bianchi Vittoria, '89 Exage Bianchi Strada LX, '11 Shimano Masi Partenza

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
So I'm looking at building new wheels for the Batavus but I'm a bit stuck on the rear hub. (The front is going to be an SP dynohub)
While there do seem to be many options nowadays, there are not that many recent experiences to be found online.

Do any of you have experience with any of the current "retro" offerings?
I'm looking for Shimano 9-speed compatible, 36H, cassette hub with high flanges and max 130mm OLD since I'll already have enough of a stretch widening these from a 6-speed freewheel.

What I have found so far are these;
  1. Velo Orange Grand Cru 130mm Touring Hub
    • 353 grams/12.45oz, 32/36H, $165
    • 4 sealed bearings. Very easy to disassemble
    • They do however seem to be high maintenance in wet conditions. Which I will be riding in.
  2. Dia Compe Ene Touring "NEW" S-type
    • 444 grams/15.66oz, 32/36H, Campy/Shimano-compatible, decent price @ $160 if you can find it
    • 4 sealed bearing, Looks good
  3. SUNxcd Large Flange hub SXL136
    • 275 grams/9.7oz (w/o QR) 324 grams/11.43oz (w/o QR), 32/36, Campy/Shimano-compatible, decent price @ £120/$155/€140
    • Good looking hub, pressed together and requires a bit of work to make it user serviceable.
  4. Grand Bois LFQR
    • 360 grams/12.7oz, 32/36H, Campy/Shimano-compatible, decent price @ $164 but shipping from Japan adds another $30
    • Good looking hub, rated for camping
  5. Grand Bois SLFQR
    • Extra large rivetted flanges. Sexy hubs but pricey @ €1200+
  6. Chris King Classic Rear
    • 266 grams/9.38oz, 28/32/36H, only Shimano-compatible, $460
    • With "Legendary CK angry bee sound". Not entirely a high-flange hub
  7. Royce Venus Cassette Shimano
    • 16-32H, only Shimano-compatible, £300
    • Beautiful Aluminum/Titanium hub
  8. Phil Wood Touring hub
    • 503 grams/17.74oz, 36/40/48H, Campy/Shimano-compatible, $450
    • Stainless steel axles, good looking hub
  9. Bitex BX103R
    • 339 grams/11.96oz, 28/32/36/40H, only Shimano-compatible, £93.00
    • 6 (!) bearings, Touring hub, removable axle for 130/135 OLD, only available in black
  10. Electra Ticino hubs
  11. Suzue Classica Road Hub
    • 295 grams/10.41oz. 28/32/36H, only Shimano-compatible. ¥9660/$90/€80.
    • Looks more like track hubs. Price can be all over the place, $450 to $90 depending on where you look.
  12. White Industries MI5 High-low hubs
    • 265 grams, 28/32/36/40H, Campy/Shimano-compatible, $323/€310.
    • Not entirely sure if I would classify these as high-flange.
  13. Via Components Road rear hub
    • 269 grams, 24/32H, £143/$185/€165,
    • Their website only shows black but there is a silver version available. Partially ceramic bearings.
  14. American Classic RD 205 Rear Hub
    • 205 grams/7.23oz, 24/28/32H, Campy/Shimano-compatible, $264
    • Only available in black and a 135mm MTB 210 Rear Hub.
Did I miss any? Do any of you have any experience with these hubs?

EDIT: Shout out to the classic Show me your high flange hubs-thread!
EDIT2: In the non-C&V camp we also have Miche 2, Sturmey Archer. And of course the true C&V option: Shimano 600EX high-flange cassette hubs
EDIT3: Added the last few and made the list a bit more readable for future use.

Super awesome list of hub I've been looking for but I see you're in Europe... so most of these hubs are only available in Europe I'm guessing? (or to ship here for an exorbitant price)

Old 04-27-22, 02:00 PM
buddiiee 

Bikes: 70's Nuovo Record Jeunet Franche Compte, '88 105 Trek 1200, '85 Victory Bianchi Vittoria, '89 Exage Bianchi Strada LX, '11 Shimano Masi Partenza

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Another question; I keep seeing these saying "campy/shimano" but everywhere online I'm reading that campy cassettes dont fit on shimano hubs... So..... which fits which?

Last edited by buddiiee; 04-27-22 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-01-22, 10:14 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 707 Times in 378 Posts
Originally Posted by buddiiee
Super awesome list of hub I've been looking for but I see you're in Europe... so most of these hubs are only available in Europe I'm guessing? (or to ship here for an exorbitant price)
You're replying to a posting from more than 3 years ago. Some of these are still around, some are available in the U.S. Supply chain issues have hit the bicycle business hard.

Velo-Orange is a source in U.S. : Hubs - Velo Orange (velo-orange.com)

Soma lists the Suzue Classica:
Suzue Hub Classica Road 11sp Shim 32H | Soma Fab Shop

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 05-02-22, 05:13 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by buddiiee
Another question; I keep seeing these saying "campy/shimano" but everywhere online I'm reading that campy cassettes dont fit on shimano hubs... So..... which fits which?
Is used Campy/Shimano to show in what types they are available. So there are separate Campagnolo and Shimano compatible models available. Some are only available in Shimano.

Modern hubs would also have Shimano Hyperglide Single Speed for mountainbike hubs or SRAM XD for 12-speed and up boost (a.k.a. thru-axle or non quick-release skewer).

But as @Jeff Wills mentioned, this list was made 3 years ago with links to the original manufacturer. Because it is impossible (and quickly outdated) to list every single seller.
Add to that the supply chain issues since then and many of these will be outdated by now.

Google is your friend for finding them.
Old 05-02-22, 10:25 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Chris King no longer makes a Campy freehub, but White Industries does.

Just for future reference