Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wheel axle won't fit in fork dropouts

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-22, 06:33 PM
bwall22

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi there, I have an old 80's Schwinn. I recently bought a new wheelset. The axle diameter on the front wheel seems to be a bit too wide to fit in the dropouts on the front fork. Any tips? Should I try to file down the insides of the drop outs?
Old 09-14-22, 07:56 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5790 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Odds are you have a fork made for a 5/16" nutted axle, and the new wheel is a more modern 9mm, either QR or a solid analog.

Assuming you have decent hand skills, go ahead and file the dropouts. However, file only one (same) sides of the slots, either front or back, whichever has more meat. DO NOT file the tops of the slots. Filing only one side and no top will keep you from changing where the wheel sits.

Lastly, if you you have the skill, you can take the advanced course and use the opportunity to tweak things and correct for slight fork misalignment.

Last edited by FBinNY; 09-14-22 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-14-22, 08:25 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4208 Post(s)
Liked 3,874 Times in 2,314 Posts
While Francis's advice is much what I would do filing dropouts is a non replaceable change. So instead I will suggest filing the axle. Two flats filed to about the depth of the thread root is usually enough. Andy