Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Riding in the city--absolutely hated it!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-14, 04:22 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts

I met up with a long-time buddy of mine with whom I had gotten reacquainted recently. We used to ride together in our late teens. We're in our mid-forties now. I ride a lot; he does not. To make a longer story short, I let him lead me through a tour of the various neighbourhoods in downtown Toronto. It was four hours of excruciatingly slow, pot-hole weaving, traffic dodging, streetcar track maneuvering, and pedestrian swerving misery.

Coming from the suburbs, I am used to long stretches of well-paved, straight tarmac where you could put your head down and pedal for ten minutes and not have to worry about hitting anything. Riding downtown, even on the so-called bike paths, is just downright dangerous.

Do you city dwellers normally try to get out of the city to do your rides?
Old 10-12-14, 04:32 PM
gc3
Falls Downalot

Bikes: Now I Got Two

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's why they make city bikes and beach cruisers
Old 10-12-14, 04:33 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I'm with you ... not fond of riding in the city. I'll take a remote road in the middle of nowhere over city riding any day.
Old 10-12-14, 04:39 PM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I don't get enthused about riding in downtown Toronto either. Rob Ford uses those streets! I typically ride in the Burlington, Milton, Cambridge triangle.
Old 10-12-14, 05:13 PM
FlyLikeABeagle

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Philadelphia, and have to agree that city riding has a lot of down sides. I usually take a route close to my house that has a bike lane, and ride that 2 miles to a local park that has an 8 mile trail.
Old 10-12-14, 05:58 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Some cities offer quite attractive in-town riding opportunities. Houston is one of them.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 10-12-14, 06:08 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Yeah, it totally sucks.
Old 10-12-14, 06:25 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I lived smack in the middle of D/FW, right next to the airport and moved to the NC boonies six months ago to be near my daughter. I've ridden for an hour, straight out of my driveway, without even unclipping here. Probably longer, actually. I miss home but the riding here is awesome. You can rack up some serious miles in a short amount of time. But oddly, I have to drive 45 minutes to the nearest MTB trails. Back home there's 4-5 trail systems within 15 minutes from where I lived. That blows.
Old 10-12-14, 06:52 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It takes about 45 minutes to get "out of the city," so that's not an option unless I'm planning to ride 40+ miles (don't have car, and not interested in taking bike on a train). It's about 20 minutes to get to Central Park or Prospect Park. The Greenway, which I'll take most of the time to get to midtown, is nice, but once in a while, the avenues are an interesting change of pace/scenery/challenge/adventure. The greenway can get kinda boring, especially early in the morning when it's still dark, and tedious when it gets crowded later in the morning and on weekends.

You get any pavé
action?

Last edited by kbarch; 09-29-18 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-12-14, 07:13 PM
Vintage7080

Bikes: Rossin, Eddy Merckx MX Leader

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Given your location, I would head towards the lake and cycle that stretch although it can be busy with runners, cyclists, and pedestrians. Sometimes you have to throw your bike on the car and drive out to avoid all the pitfalls of the big city.
Old 10-12-14, 07:21 PM
xuwol7

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gc3
That's why they make city bikes and beach cruisers

Yes indeed, I have a city bike for just that reason.
For some if you want to ride you have to deal with the city and the crazy traffic, which makes the long quiet roads very nice.
I am one of the few that brave the city streets and traffic but after awhile you get used to it, it is basically a mindset and an awareness of your surroundings at all times.
It will make you a stronger rider and a good way to fine tune your bike handling skills and strong sprints really come in handy....lol
Old 10-12-14, 07:31 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Oh, did I mention the nuisance of constantly clipping out and clipping in? When I ride in the suburbs near my own home I could literally go two hours without unclipping.
Old 10-12-14, 07:39 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
It is not the best riding mkst folks will ever do, but it doesn't have to be the worst either.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 10-12-14, 07:50 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
......Do you city dwellers normally try to get out of the city to do your rides?
Yes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mQz...IoDLA&index=12
Old 10-12-14, 07:54 PM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yes, I use a MUP to go from my downtown apartment to the edge of town. Or I'll ride through town to a different MUP going the opposite direction into the hill country instead.
Old 10-12-14, 08:12 PM
bigdo13

Bikes: 2013 Giant Defy, 2013 Specialized S-Works Venge, 1993 Specialized Epic, 2012 Fezzari Fore CR3, 2015 Cipollini Bond

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yeah, city riding is for daredevil ass messengers and hipsters with no endurance on fixies...

I'm hittin the highway outta town or riding around places in the city that aren't congested w/ pedestrians and/or intersections... I got all my routes... they work for me... sometimes they get hairy, but I never have to do stop and go riding for hours... that's terrible... and hell on your knees really.
Old 10-12-14, 08:15 PM
MagicHour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Absolutely. You make it work - riding loops in prospect or Central Park during non-peak hours; riding north out of the city and over the Gwb bridge weekends. Getting an early morning start or riding after dark is key; riding in cold or inclimate weather; anything that thins out the crowds. There's actually a pretty big cycling culture here in NYC, with several clubs and tons of riders, so that helps make it bearable, as well.

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
It is not the best riding mkst folks will ever do, but it doesn't have to be the worst either.

Last edited by MagicHour; 10-12-14 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-12-14, 08:31 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26421 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
...if a place is in Canada, does it qualify under the category "city" ?
Old 10-12-14, 09:11 PM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bigdo13
yeah, city riding is for daredevil ass messengers and hipsters with no endurance on fixies...
Come on now. That's stereotyping. It's not that they have no endurance, it's just that they have to stop for a cigarette every few blocks.

Since I come to a stop at red lights and stop signs, I pretty much despise city riding.
Old 10-12-14, 10:21 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If you're in Toronto, you owe it to yourself to do the donut ride.

City riding is practical riding, meetings, groceries, errands and socializing. I'm fortunate that rural roads are 10min of riding from my door.
Old 10-12-14, 11:14 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
try those city rides at night for extra giggles. especially from 2:30am-5:30am. you may feel like the only
person in a giant metropolis.
Old 10-12-14, 11:53 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Oh, did I mention the nuisance of constantly clipping out and clipping in? When I ride in the suburbs near my own home I could literally go two hours without unclipping.
Learn to trackstand.
Old 10-13-14, 12:09 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12775 Post(s)
Liked 7,693 Times in 4,082 Posts
Originally Posted by bigdo13
ass messengers
I think I've finally found my calling.
Old 10-13-14, 12:28 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
City cycling is different from rural cycling.

Different... not worse or better. Tons of sights, sounds, even smells on a city ride. And the art-work that intercity youth paint on just about everything.... is just beautiful. And I have had many very exciting near collisions with automobiles in the city too (nothing makes one feel alive... like nearly getting killed). I almost never see a loose dog in the city (unless they are attacking).

And many of the city dwellers seem to like to shout words of encouragement to cyclists (they apparently REALLY like cyclist). I don't hear as good as I used to... but I think I hear things like: "Off roading is for the oldmen" and "hey.. glad you're not on the sidewalk". Or just a big compliment like "Fit Aren't You". I swear city people are the friendliest!
Old 10-13-14, 12:36 AM
calyco

Bikes: Jamis Icon Pro

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I try to avoid it, it is downright dangerous at times if you are not paying 100% attention.

Originally Posted by MagicHour
Absolutely. You make it work - riding loops in prospect or Central Park during non-peak hours; riding north out of the city and over the Gwb bridge weekends. Getting an early morning start or riding after dark is key; riding in cold or inclimate weather; anything that thins out the crowds. There's actually a pretty big cycling culture here in NYC, with several clubs and tons of riders, so that helps make it bearable, as well.
Yeah, think I will get back to a early morning schedule from now on. Summer was beautiful weather but I also look forward to colder weather and less congestion. Central Park is not so bad, plenty of space but haven't been there since the whole incident/accident. Once you are over the GWB, where are the good spots?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.