Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Massive Update To The New Cycling Route Creation App I've Been Developing!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Massive Update To The New Cycling Route Creation App I've Been Developing!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-24, 09:48 PM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by texugo
This is a really awesome tool! For longer distances it gives way better routes than other tools I've tried

One thing I noticed in my town is that the the map isn't populating routes using lines tagged with 'path' or 'foot path' from OSM. For example, it doesn't populate the route I bike to work, and instead gives you a very steep and longer route despite the shorter and flatter route I bike being mapped in OSM. You can't force it onto those sections either.

Maybe you could add options as for what type of path/roadway the program will route you over such as including paths, or excluding highways?

So kind of you!

To address your second point, my routing profiles are designed to just let you bike on roads that don't disallow bikes and paths that specifically allow bikes. I'd imagine in your case I'm interpreting "footpath" as walkable only. The challenging thing is, there's a very fine line between what is considered sidewalks and footpaths and bike paths and I have to be incredibly careful when it comes to weighting my systems, as I don't accidentally want one of my routing profiles to predominantly take you on annoying sidewalks. The best I can say in this situation is either specifically mark in OSM that these paths allow bikes or tell me the osmIDS/specific path names and either I or one my team members (probably Tim, the server guy, he loves updating OSM stuff) will update it for you. Beyond that, if you find an error in my logic (say, you query osm and it's clearly marked a bike path) I'll happily investigate and update my routing logic.
Old 01-18-24, 03:03 PM
campfire

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 77 Posts
This is a pretty neat tool. Thanks for all your work, firebird854!