Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Stripped Crank Arm

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Stripped Crank Arm

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-24, 10:26 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Use a bearing seperator/puller if you wish to salvage the crank arm. It will do the least amount of damage, if any.
You'll have problems getting that behind many cranks. I've seen people use a universal 2/3 leg puller, but the problem with those is stopping the hooks from slipping off. You could maybe cut a C-shaped piece of steel plate to slip over the axle, and use a puller on that.
Old 03-27-24, 11:14 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
You'll have problems getting that behind many cranks. I've seen people use a universal 2/3 leg puller, but the problem with those is stopping the hooks from slipping off. You could maybe cut a C-shaped piece of steel plate to slip over the axle, and use a puller on that.
Yea, the three jaw pullers are difficult to use on cranks unless the rear of the crank arm is cut square, instead of being rounded. I don't know any off hand that aren't rounded. The bearing puller actually works a bit better, and in many cases actually fit more easily behind a crank. They make different sizes. They require less room behind the crank arm than a three arm puller does.