Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

shimano wheelsets.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

shimano wheelsets.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-06, 05:40 PM
zap brannigan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
shimano wheelsets.

im looking to buy a giant ocr1 but im not sure about the shimano 550 wheelset that it comes with.
the wheel only have 16/20 spokes.

i only want the bike for fitness/fun so are these wheels strong enough for everyday use or should i try and change them for something else with more spokes?

the shimano 500 wheelstes on the rest of the ocr range have 20/24 spokes.
Old 09-01-06, 06:27 PM
Poppaspoke

Bikes: LeMond Zurich

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are spoke breakage problems reported for this wheelset:
https://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/wh...x.aspx#reviews
Old 09-01-06, 06:40 PM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12194 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts
Here's what you do.... Tell the dealer you like the bike but not the wheels.
Ask him if you can upgrade the wheels when you buy the bike, and how much.
I almost always do this; it typically costs me extra, and it's
worth it. When I got my wife her Strada, and extra $100 upraded the wheels from
MA3/Tiagra to Open Pro/Ultegra.
Old 09-01-06, 06:55 PM
SaddleBags
Just Peddlin' Along

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've got a set of 550 with approx. 2500 miles on them. Just recently had them trued and they were only slightly out. Since I've upgraded to Mavic K SSL, these are now on my beater/commuter/indoor trainer bike.
I'm 180# FWIW.
Old 09-01-06, 07:01 PM
dekalbSTEEL
Well, duh, Mr Obvious.

Bikes: see sig, and others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the WH r540's on my allez steel and have had ZERO problems with them. I'm not the lightest guy in the peleton, either.

Old 09-01-06, 07:12 PM
branman1986
Eternal Cat3 Rookie

Bikes: 2004 Giant TCR2 Composite & 2006 Fuji Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had 2004 R540's for about 1500 miles, I weigh 210lbs and Atlanta roads suck. No problems at all so far.
Old 09-01-06, 07:17 PM
stickydpaul
Born Yesterday

Bikes: Kona Cindercone (stock frame only), Specialized Transition Elite (one-off mango color), Trek 2000 (getting ready for SS duty as soon as I build its wheels).

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a mechanic, I've seen many of the shimano wheelsets come through with broken spokes, often the same wheels that had been in for previously broken spokes. Take the advice above and see if you can deal with the shop owner to get a different wheelset.
Old 09-01-06, 08:55 PM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dekalbSTEEL
I have the WH r540's on my allez steel and have had ZERO problems with them. I'm not the lightest guy in the peleton, either.

I think that it's important to understand that big guys often ride a lot easier than smaller guys. We break things all the time and tend to be more careful when it might mean more skin on the pavement. If you look in all the reports on these wheels all of the big guys say they aren't having any problems.

And yet my brother who is 5'8" and only 165 lbs broke spokes and bent axles on both the 535 and the 540's.

But the fact is that I ride Mavic Kyserium Equipes on several bikes because they're cheap, reliable and strong. I put about 3000 miles on one set since last November and haven't had a problem with them. I put 500 miles on a set of Heliums and bent a rim and broke some of the ferrules. But that might have been a fluke since I haven't had any other problems with Mavic wheels. Though it is annoying having to wait 6 weeks to get a Helium rim and the spokes not being available so that I had to reuse the old ones.
Old 09-01-06, 09:26 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by stickydpaul
As a mechanic, I've seen many of the shimano wheelsets come through with broken spokes, often the same wheels that had been in for previously broken spokes. Take the advice above and see if you can deal with the shop owner to get a different wheelset.
+2 (broken spokes that is) - I have done a lot of posting about my set of 550's. Bottom line. I just don't trust them. They were bulletproof for over 2,000 miles then..."PING" a rear NON-DRIVE SIDE spoke broke.

A month later another one did. I honestly think that they ran into a bad batch of spokes...saw something about that happening to a different series of their wheels around the same time.

I finally replaced the spoke last week. Then I weighed it against my Open/600 set with 32 DT Stainless 14g (at least) spokes...difference?...22grams. As much as I hate it (not sexy) I'm back riding my 14 year old set of Open/600's

Stay away from 550's.

Old 09-01-06, 09:35 PM
brianappleby
Senior Member?

Bikes: orbea onix, Cervelo SLC, Specialzed Allez, Cervelo P3 Alu

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Popped a drive side spoke on my 550's. Upon further inspection, looked like all of the nipples on the hub were starting to corrode after 4 months of use.
Old 09-02-06, 12:56 AM
Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
I destroyed a 550 rear in about 800 miles, the front lasted about 1500 miles. Both were replaced under warranty, the replacements have about 1000 miles on them and the rear is starting to show signs of deterioration.

In my case cracks in the rims started radiating from the nipples and the wheels couldn't stay true (I never tried to true them). No broken spokes. I'm a tad over 200lb.
Old 09-02-06, 02:27 AM
zap brannigan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for all the replies, looks like i will definitely stay away from shimano wheels and try to swap over to mavic elites, which are in the same price range.

the internet is incredible, no matter what the problem or the topic you can find someone who can give advice.
you can find out about any bike or components before you even walk in the bike shop.

what did people do before the internet??
Old 09-02-06, 05:16 AM
pelotonracer
Up and comer

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
the Shimano model down, the WH-R500's are actually better- they have the traditional build with the nipples at the rim, not the hubs. See if you can get those, & save some money.
Old 09-02-06, 06:06 AM
Geoff326

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the shimano r550's and have broken 1 spoke on the rear and have about 5000 miles on em. I also weigh 130 lbs. They tend to say relatively true for the most part and I haven't had much trouble with them besides the 1 broken spoke when I hit a pothole I think. I wish I had some Ksyrium SL's though, that might be my next upgrade =P if these problems I'm reading about crop up for me.
Old 09-04-06, 06:31 PM
thatguy
hehe... member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I have about 4,000 mi on a set of 550s with zero problems. They've been trued once. I pretty much use them as my "abuse" wheels too. Some wheels seem to develop reputations for being troublesome (American Classics). Problem is, only people with bad experiences speak up about them. If your LBS will trade them out, go for it, but I'd still recommend them to anyone.
Old 09-05-06, 08:32 AM
cpb406
Charles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2,000 miles and counting without a problem on mine. I weight about 175.

Charles.
Old 09-05-06, 10:21 AM
FormerBMX'er

Bikes: 2011 Tsunami, 2004 Fuji Team Issue and More!!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd guestimate 1500mi on mine @ 155lbs...zero problems (2 centuries, 1 86miler, 1 metric, numerous hammer sessions...etc...etc). Aside from the spoke issues everyone else seems to be having; there are better wheels so upgrading upon purchase seems to be the way to go. The R550's are actually on my backup bike now for weight reasons alone.