Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New CVT Design

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

New CVT Design

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-07, 05:22 PM
Poppaspoke

Bikes: LeMond Zurich

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New CVT Design

Ran across this proposed CVT design. Christopher Yonge
claims his design solves some of the major problems
associated with past designs. Anybody heard of this?

https://www.yonge-cvt.com/index.html
https://www.yonge-cvt.com/how-it-works-bike.html
Old 01-07-07, 10:18 AM
n4zou
Scott

Bikes: Too Many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It looks good but I wonder how reliable it would be considering all the moving parts and the associated service like cleaning, lubrication, and worn part replacement that would be required. I think I would want it configured as an internal sealed hub and possibly use a standard crank and derailleur up front if you wanted a mega range off road and loaded touring setup. In any case it's going to be very hard to convince most people to move away from a relatively cheap and reliable derailleur system to what is obviously going to be a very costly and complex CVT system. I could be wrong of course. If you can build it cheap enough that big box retailer's use them on cheap consumer quality X-Mart bikes the high-end bicycle manufactures will soon follow the trend. I would love to have one to try out.
Old 01-07-07, 02:24 PM
mlts22 

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My concern is how that thing will stand everyday use, mud, milage, lubrication (or lack therof), hits, etc. There are also a number of CVT designs out there. One that is internal to a hub is the Fallbrook Technologies NuVinci hub used by some Ellsworth bikes.

Barring CVT, if you want a number of gears and not worry about a derailleur, there is always the tried, true (and expensive) Rohloff hub.

So far, no CVT design except possibly the NuVinci hub, has cut it long-term on the trails or on the road.

As for X-Mart bikes, I rather not see a good design made cheap and crappy to fit on them. I would be scared to think of something like a Rohloff hub made out of cheap pot metal on "mountain style" bikes, and have the hub strip its gears after a less than a hundred miles of road riding. For low-end bikes, its hard to beat a low-end Shimano system for price and reliability. Even Shimano's cheap stuff is at least durable enough for day to day use, while some CVT is unproven at best on good quality bikes.

I'm not knocking this innovation, but just wary about stuff fresh out of the lab. If this CVT stands the test of time, I'm all for it.

Last edited by mlts22; 01-07-07 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-23-07, 11:16 PM
Beatsalad
delete folders.

Bikes: YATTAY 29er, centurion IRONMAN, soon FitFLOW

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i saw a nuvinci hub and wheel for sale for a few hundred on the newest sbs sale sheet... crazy... id like to see one.