Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

A little problem with Bacchetta Cafe.

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-06, 10:47 PM
twahl
Tom (ex)Builder

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So a couple of weeks ago I took the wife out to look at some new bents. She loved her EZ-Sport, but I was hoping to find something that she was comfortable riding but would give a boost in performance, especially climbing. Well, they had the Bacchetta Cafe and she liked it. The cockpit is similar to the EZ, with the obvious exception of the BB being up higher. We finally got out last Monday with the EZ on the rack, and I have to give props to John at Bike@Vienna in Vienna, VA. The EZ had been well maintained and was in very nice shape, and he gave us a trade-in allowence that was, in my opinion, very generous.

So we managed to get out for a morning ride this week, but that was only 8 miles. Tonight we got out for a little more, and did 20 miles including some hills and some flats. Here's the problem. The kids and I are on road bikes, and I can handle anything any of them dish out. The wife though, has been our slow rider, and now she's not. She's rocking out on the Cafe. She's still slower off a stop light, but not as slow, and her climbing and flat performance seems to have improved dramatically. Sometimes she is actually pushing me some, so I think we can trade drafts now, or soon. She had my daughter wimpering on some downhill runs.

Seriously, this thing seems pretty solid, and when I asked her how satisfied she was with the trade, on a scale of 1 - 10, she said "10, more or less". This is a pretty sweet ride and at $1000 or so retail I think it's well worth looking at for those that are looking for a reasonably price 'bent.

"It hurts so good..."
Old 08-06-06, 01:27 AM
Magilla Gorilla

Bikes: Bacchetta Aero and a Giro dual 26

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bacchetta bikes

You should post this on the Bacchetta forums.
This site is a bit hostile to bacchetta bikes since the primary founders of this site ride bikes of a different design. That's ok but you should know about this. The Cafe is indeed an industry breaker as far as I am concerned.
So, go and post over on the Bacchetta site.

Magilla Gorilla
Old 08-06-06, 02:22 PM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've not seen any Bacchetta flames here, but maybe that's just because I'm new to the 'bent forum. IMHO, Bacchettas are one of the better makes.
Old 08-06-06, 03:40 PM
Poppaspoke

Bikes: LeMond Zurich

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Magilla Gorilla
This site is a bit hostile to bacchetta bikes since the primary founders of this site ride bikes of a different design. That's ok but you should know about this. The Cafe is indeed an industry breaker as far as I am concerned.

Magilla Gorilla
Jeez...
And I thought roadies were cliquish!
Old 08-06-06, 06:17 PM
twahl
Tom (ex)Builder

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The brief search I did here for Cafe mentions brought nothing but positive comments. Just thought I'd add mine.

"It hurts so good..."
Old 08-07-06, 01:37 AM
Sandwarrior
Bent Ryder

Bikes: Bachetta Agio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Magilla Gorilla

Magilla Gorilla
I guess I'm in deep Doo Doo for riding a bacchetta Agio. Is this a french bike....GOD if I bought a french bike I'm gonna shoot myself